NHL 2008-09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ye old Whale! I miss watching Kevin Dineen play...:sad: But his boys in Portland are doing well!

Awesome GAF!

I loved Kevin Dineen, my favorite player. I do keep an eye on Portland, hopefully he gets a shot in the NHL some day, a few former Whalers have (Quenneville, Tippett).

blackhawks.jpg

The Jackets are in!! I'm sooo excited! Aaahhhh! :hyper:

The look on Nasher's face after he scored that game tying goal was absolutely priceless.

Have my tickets for round one ready & waiting! :hyper:

Tickets for round one go on sale on Saturday here in Vancouver. I think my friend is going to pick up a pair for us to see one game. Playoffs are SO much fun to see live! :hi5:

If Phoenix beats San Jose tonight and Anaheim on Saturday, the Leafs can throw their last game and get the fifth lottery entry in the draft.

There's hope yet, Leafs Nation!

Anyone watching this Boston-Montreal game?? It's crazy - took 40 mins to play 10 mins!!

Not sure what Boston is trying to prove - they must be resentful after only having beaten Montreal once in the playoff season in the last 11 years (my Dad spewed out some statistic similar to that earlier but I can't ask for confirmation as I'm not allowed to talk to him during Habs' games :lol:)

Oh,'Le BUUUUT', and it's a long 'u' in 'but' so it must be Montreal (Habs fan will know what I'm talking about :wink:)

I'm looking at the standings and I dont understand why the Habs haven't clinched before tonight. Even if they lose this game and their last one, and Florida wins their last game, Montreal still has 92 points to Florida's 91.

Can someone explain this?

I'm looking at the standings and I dont understand why the Habs haven't clinched before tonight. Even if they lose this game and their last one, and Florida wins their last game, Montreal still has 92 points to Florida's 91.

Can someone explain this?

If Montreal would not have gotten that point last night they would have had 92 points to Florida's 91 going into the final game of the season. Obviously, a Florida win and a Montreal loss would have meant that the Panthers leapfrog the Canadiens for the final playoff spot.

As it stands now the Panthers could still tie Montreal at 93 points, but the Canadiens have the tiebreaker, so that's why they clinched with that point last night.

Oh, I see what happened - the standings page on NHL.com had updated Florida's win count and games played categories, but not their points total. I didn't bother doing the math. Now it all makes sense. :)

^ Pens take 4th if they win tonight and the Flyers lose tomorrow (more wins). But yeah, otherwise me too, I'd rather play the Canes despite Carolina's recent hot streak.

Pretty poor strategy if that was the case. Also apparently Carey the Glove didn't get the memo, as much as I bang on that guy he made 2 pretty amazing saves in that 2nd period.

Habs have only 6 shots in the middle of the 2nd period so I wonder if they're throwing the game so they face Boston instead of Washington :hmm:

There is ABSOLUTELY no way this is the case. It's just not the way Gainey operates. Also, why would they prefer to play Boston, a much more physical team, than Washington, whose playoff goaltending is suspect at best? I'd much rather face Theodore than Thomas, who happens to have someone named Chara in front of him.

That being said, it just wouldn't be spring without a Montreal-Boston playoff series.

Well, then they were piss-poor but I'm still not convinced they wouldn't rather face the Bruins over the Capitals. Even all the RDS commentators were unanimous that, given the choice, Montreal whould choose Boston. Theodore is usually weak, yes, but we all know how Quebecois goalies fare when they meet the Habs.

It's quite suspect though - the lines were changed, Metro/Stewart/Laraque were playing together in the dying mins, Tanguay was rested (although I don't understand why Schneider wasn't), Carey played although he is is 0-3-1 in his last 4 games, Laracque played on some powerplays, Koivu was on the 4th line and there was a general disinterest from the team. And if they really wanted to beat Washington they would have pulled Price in the waning mins...

Sure Boston is a lot more physical but we saw what happened the other night - they turn into a bunch of crazed psychos :lol:

Boston was also the fave in '02 and '04 but Montreal prevailed then too...(although I don't that'll be the case this year - if Price lets in one or two soft goals, his confidence is shot...)

The last minute of the second period of the Calgary-Edmonton game last night was far and away the best sixty seconds of hockey that was played all season, by any team. Holy shit.

EAST
Boston 4 v Montreal 2
Washington 4 v NY Rangers 1
New Jersey 4 v Carolina 2
Pittsburgh 1 v Philadelphia 4

Boston 4 v Philadelphia 0
Washington 4 v New Jersey 2

Boston 3 v Washington 4

WEST
San Jose 4 v Anaheim 0
Detroit 4 v Columbus 2
Vancouver 4 v St. Louis 3