NFL Thread IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
“Chiefs” is absolutely not an offensive name. If you’re comparing it to “redskins,” shit, idk what to say. One is literally racist.

The imagery the chiefs use needs to change. “Chief” doesn’t need to exclusively be native, nor is it really even so. Even if it was though, should people from Long Island be offended by the name “islanders?” What about “Canadiens?”

Just don’t caricaturize your mascot or imagery if it can refer to real people. I think “Seminoles” is probably the horizon of “you might need to change your name.”

Paging Dalton to set this straight…

Paging Dalton to set this straight…

I’m not sure what the context is there.

But to clarify my point, I think this article does a good job: https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/02/01/us/kansas-city-chiefs-name-race-trnd/index.html

The word “chief” isn’t inherently native. Heck, my boss is a “branch chief.” He is in charge. If my boss dressed in a native headdress and did the tomahawk chop, that would be racist. I think the KC Chiefs can keep their name and just undo the arrowhead branding and that’s perfectly fine. If they want to keep their name, though, I don’t see how that’s anything like “Indians,” “Seminoles,” or obviously… “Redskins.”

What's wrong with Seminole beyond its specificity?

I described this as “the horizon” of the conversation with intent. The name is still active appropriation. It’s great that the tribe supports it, but it would still be understandable that those within the tribe (or in other tribes) individually might still not like it. But it’s not inherently messy.

What's wrong with Seminole beyond its specificity?

To me that one is particularly bad given the extreme brutality with which the Seminole were driven out of central Florida. To then turn around and use the name as some kind of homage is horribly disingenuous.

Utah has the blessing of the Ute tribe to continue to use Utes, but also has contingency plans in place to shift to a different mascot in the future if needed. They moved to a bird (hawk) as their physical mascot more than a decade ago and have moved away from using the “drum and feather” logo on helmets, opting for a block U instead. I believe they would be the Utah Red Hawks if Utes ever goes away.

Last edited:
That CNN article you posted LN pretty clearly explains why it shouldn't be used, on a number of levels. The word itself, fine, but I don't know how anyone could read that article and go "it's different to the Redskins". (And I'd obviously forgotten about the Braves and the Indians, which should also be changed, and didn't know about the Seminoles or the Utes.) Given the awful history of Native Americans, so many sports teams using their culture feels very strange.

That CNN article you posted LN pretty clearly explains why it shouldn't be used, on a number of levels. The word itself, fine, but I don't know how anyone could read that article and go "it's different to the Redskins". (And I'd obviously forgotten about the Braves and the Indians, which should also be changed, and didn't know about the Seminoles or the Utes.) Given the awful history of Native Americans, so many sports teams using their culture feels very strange.

K, but no it doesn’t. It clearly details the relatively innocent name shrouded in not so innocent appropriation, imagery, branding, and behaviors.

Once again, the term “chief” is not a native word, nor does it have to refer to a tribal chieftain. Heck, the US military features numerous chiefs.

Indians has been changed this past season to Guardians

:up:

K, but no it doesn’t. It clearly details the relatively innocent name shrouded in not so innocent appropriation, imagery, branding, and behaviors.

Once again, the term “chief” is not a native word, nor does it have to refer to a tribal chieftain. Heck, the US military features numerous chiefs.

it's what's connected to the Chiefs' name that concerns him and many others -- things like the tomahawk chop or the headdresses fans regularly wear to games. The Chiefs open each game with a cheerleader riding a horse named Warpaint, while hitting a giant, native-style drum embellished with the team's logo.

I'm not arguing that the word itself is the problem. It's used everywhere.

But in this context, it's referring to Native American culture, and should be changed, along with the chop, the headdresses, the drum etc...

Changing the name without changing that would be silly.

Ok sure but if you change the Indians logo and behaviors without the name, it’s still racist. If you change the Seminoles logo and behaviors without the name, it’s still appropriation. If you change the behaviors and logo of the Chiefs, it doesn’t have to be appropriation. Simple as that.

Jordan Mailata is not enough for you?

I will say that Siposs has NOT hit the wire of the Skycam with a punt, as far as I know. Can't say the same for his replacement.

i've heard a theory that after his major hip injury in college, when he returned to play he would try to avoid falling on his side to avoid reinjuring himself. over time, that developed into a subconscious habit of regularly falling straight on his back instead, which of course increases the risk of hitting the back of his head on the turf.

whether that's the case or not, if he intends to come back next season, he would really benefit from some offseason training on how to fall with minimal risk. stuntmen, military, wrestlers/fighters, there's loads of interesting ways for him to learn it in a brief offseason course. i hope for his sake someone in his or the dolphins' camp is wise enough to point him in that direction if he's going to keep putting his brain at risk with more football.

https://twitter.com/willmanso/status/1624088085506973696?s=46&t=8I2q-3Kj1L9mEjGERCFEug

:cool:

I win $108 if Chiefs win. Go Chiefs.

Riding Chiefs ML and the over

mayweather-throwing.gif

go birds

Terribly uninspiring performance from Rihanna, but probably for the better that she didn’t share the stage with any of her collaborators, considering half of them have been canceled lol

Terribly uninspiring performance from Rihanna, but probably for the better that she didn’t share the stage with any of her collaborators, considering half of them have been canceled lol

Total bore. I’ve seen other pop artists who aren’t my jam but they at least had some energy. This was a mid tempo mood throughout.

Back
Top Bottom