NFL Thread IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For me, it’s fascinating seeing/reading people (right wing conspiracy theorists) trying to pull off mental gymnastics to link his collapse to supposedly getting the Covid vaccine. It’s just where we are now and it’s horrible.

So I know we're not supposed to talk about it, but I'm going to talk about it.

I don't think there's a logistical way to replay the Bills-Bengals game without completely fucking up the playoffs schedule, and I don't know that the NFL would do that for one game.

I wish they would just take a hard stance on what's going to happen because this affects multiple teams, some that need to decide if they are going to sit their starters or not.

Bottom line is that a game is likely going to have to be played on short rest.

And as for teams deciding whether to "sit their starters", that's an unsportsmanlike practice to begin with, IMO. Especially if there's another team that might be affected by an outcome that doesn't matter to the team doing so.

For me, it’s fascinating seeing/reading people (right wing conspiracy theorists) trying to pull off mental gymnastics to link his collapse to supposedly getting the Covid vaccine. It’s just where we are now and it’s horrible.

I mean, is Jeremy Renner really in the hospital because of an accident, or because the snow plow took the vaccine? :hmm:

Bottom line is that a game is likely going to have to be played on short rest.

And as for teams deciding whether to "sit their starters", that's an unsportsmanlike practice to begin with, IMO. Especially if there's another team that might be affected by an outcome that doesn't matter to the team doing so.

Sitting starters is a pretty common practice in the NFL on Week 18 to avoid your stars from getting injured going into the playoffs.

the result of the game will have an impact on seeding - so they're going to have to figure something out and fast. i don't know how it's possible to actually play the game without delaying the start of the playoffs.

i wonder if they would consider a coin toss. sounds crazy but at this point i'm not sure what else can be done. it's Wednesday - week 18 is this weekend and the playoffs start next weekend. how can you honestly come off of this - where player safety is the biggest issue at hand - by asking two teams to play three games in a week?

the result of the game will have an impact on seeding - so they're going to have to figure something out and fast. i don't know how it's possible to actually play the game without delaying the start of the playoffs.

i wonder if they would consider a coin toss. sounds crazy but at this point i'm not sure what else can be done. it's Wednesday - week 18 is this weekend and the playoffs start next weekend. how can you honestly come off of this - where player safety is the biggest issue at hand - by asking two teams to play three games in a week?

My thoughts too. No matter what, someone is going to feel screwed over and the NFL needs to accept that and just make a decision now. I'm shocked that it's even still in question.

My thought is that they should just cancel the game and be done with it.

Call it a tie? I don't know if that would be different seed-wise from cancelling it.

I believe calling it a tie or just not playing it and using winning percentage gets you pretty similar results. Basically gives the Chiefs inside track on the 1 seed, denies the Bengals any shot at the 1 seed and denies the Ravens any shot at the division.
A lot affected by that game, so will be interesting to see how they handle things.

Could play the Bills/Bengals as a standalone on "week 19", push the playoffs off a week and eliminate the off week between Championship games and Superb Owl.

I think to eliminate the game or call it a tie, they'd need both teams to agree. Maybe they're hoping the Chiefs win Saturday and Bills and Bengals both lose Sunday so Chiefs would get the bye regardless and it's easier to eliminate the game. Would be the NFL way to do things, cross your fingers and hope for things to fall into place.

Could play the Bills/Bengals as a standalone on "week 19", push the playoffs off a week and eliminate the off week between Championship games and Superb Owl.

This seems to be the fairest, most reasonable solution. Disrupts travel plans for some attending the conference finals, but oh well.

That's awesome because I was more worried about brain damage than getting his lungs going again.

I don't know why I have subjected myself to this, but reading Youtube Instagram etc comments on this topic has revealed depths of human stupidity I would rather have not known existed.

And nice to see the whole "there are things more important than football" mentality lasted not much more than 48 hours.

sheesh after only 6 days we might already have a winner for Most Toxic Replies of 2023...

The funniest ones are from the diehard Ravens fans claiming the whole scenario screws the Ravens. Yep, lose the division but still get a shot at hosting, you really got screwed there.

Won't matter, Bengals will roll them Sunday since Lamar still not practicing, so barring something miraculous, he's out again Sunday.

Bills’ Damar Hamlin breathing on his own, joins team via video
Hamlin's remarkable recovery continues after going into cardiac arrest and being resuscitated on the field during a Monday Night Football game against the Cincinnati Bengals.

https://www.pressherald.com/2023/01/06/bills-safety-damar-hamlin-is-breathing-on-his-own/

What a turn of events since Monday night. Almost miraculous. Hats off again to folks who work in the medical field.

putting it out there right now... Hamlin’s going to appear onstage during the eventual Foos stadium show in Buffalo.

Putting it out there: he will lead the team out of the tunnel at the Super Bowl.

* now expect them out in the first round

Putting it out there: he will lead the team out of the tunnel at the Super Bowl.

* now expect them out in the first round

Last six weeks or so of “Road” adversity with the Bills:

- Home game gets moved to Detroit
- play four days later in Detroit
- Fly a day early to Chicago to miss a storm leaving Chicago/headed to Buffalo
- stay an extra day in Chicago and fly on Christmas in to Rochester because Buffalo airport won’t be open for another four days
- Fly to Cincy and end up with one of your players nearly dead on the field.

Back
Top Bottom