NFL Thread III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Counterpoint - Make it so each team gets a shot on offense no matter what. Then no one will complain about the coin anymore.

Making up for "super" Wild Card weekend, which was terrible. We don't need 14 teams in the playoffs.

Counterpoint - a coin shouldn't decide which team should be forced to make a stop

so that again is where i disagree. saying that you are "forcing" someone to get a stop implies that offense is more important than defense - or that the offense has a distinct advantage over the defense.

the statistics simply don't bare this out.

the 2007 New England Patriots - the greatest offensive team of all time - scored a touchdown on 44% of their drives. this is the highest touchdown percentage ever recorded in the NFL. So even the greatest offense in NFL history still was at a statistical disadvantage on any given drive vs. the defense.

the entire NFL scored touchdowns on 20% of their drives this year. and that's ALL drives - whether it was 99 yards or 1 yard. i believe the number drops to 18% when you only count drives that start with a kickoff. so that's a clear and undeniable advantage on every drive, over the long haul, for the DEFENSE... not the offense.

and even in extreme cases - i.e. the 2007 Pats - the defense still has a slight advantage on every drive.

so i know it seems unfair - but we need to be careful not to overreact to small sample sizes. over the long haul the statistics are quite clear that it's not the case.

and i obviously also know that i'm not going to convince anyone here who is on team "give both teams the ball" that my argument is correct, nor is anyone going to convince me that the coin toss is somehow "unfair"

alas, here we are.

Last edited:
Gotta be honest. I just don't see how thinking the current NFL Overtime Rules are just fine is even a real opinion. It's one of those opinions where I wonder if I'm living in a fantasy world.

Not trying to be a jerk, but it's just one of those obvious things where both teams should have the chance to have a possession. It's not even about fairness or blaming the coin tos. Using statistics doesn't even matter here because it's just one of those common sense items.

Just a really strange debate.

yea i'm just going to walk out of the room now.

Statistics don't matter though because the argument isn't to change the outcome of games or change the likelihood of a team winning. None of that matters.

We just want both teams to have a chance on offense because that would make the game so much more enjoyable.

Statistics don't matter though because the argument isn't to change the outcome of games or change the likelihood of a team winning. None of that matters.

We just want both teams to have a chance on offense because that would make the game so much more enjoyable.

i'm not even going to deny that - but it's a completely different argument. if the argument is that we should change the OT rules to allow both teams to touch the ball no matter what, and/or to switch to the college version, strictly because it's more entertaining to the viewer? well, okay. there's some truth there.

my only debate is with the idea that the current system is somehow "unfair." it's not - and the stats back that up overwhelmingly.

My issue always comes down to the validity of allowing a coin toss to shift the probability of victory in any substantial way. Even if the average team scores a TD on only 18% of their drives, what is the merit of allowing one team such a notable statistical advantage due to the outcome of a choice with roughly 50/50 probability and no true skill? How does that make the game more entertaining or fair?

Even in other sudden death scenarios in professional sports, like NHL hockey, you can score before the other offense gets the puck, but it requires winning a face off and that takes skill. Both teams have a shot at taking over on offense because of a skill inherent to the sport itself.

But yeah allowing the other NFL offense a chance to match the results of the opposing offense would be more entertaining as well, to me at least. Both offenses and both defenses are required to excel in this scenario, not just one or the other.

i'm not even going to deny that - but it's a completely different argument. if the argument is that we should change the OT rules to allow both teams to touch the ball no matter what, and/or to switch to the college version, strictly because it's more entertaining to the viewer? well, okay. there's some truth there.

my only debate is with the idea that the current system is somehow "unfair." it's not - and the stats back that up overwhelmingly.

Oh, yeah, that's been my argument all along. Not the fairness argument. As a fan, it certainly is disappointing when your team loses in OT but never touches the ball, but usually there are plays during regulation that could have been made to avoid going into OT or have your defense stop them.

My argument has always been from the standpoint of making the overall product better.

My issue always comes down to the validity of allowing a coin toss to shift the probability of victory in any substantial way. Even if the average team scores a TD on only 18% of their drives, what is the merit of allowing one team such a notable statistical advantage due to the outcome of a choice with roughly 50/50 probability and no true skill? How does that make the game more entertaining or fair?

Even in other sudden death scenarios in professional sports, like NHL hockey, you can score before the other offense gets the puck, but it requires winning a face off and that takes skill. Both teams have a shot at taking over on offense because of a skill inherent to the sport itself.

But yeah allowing the other NFL offense a chance to match the results of the opposing offense would be more entertaining as well, to me at least. Both offenses and both defenses are required to excel in this scenario, not just one or the other.

Yep. This is why I think adding the opportunity for the opposing offense to match a TD is a really easy tweak. If they match it, next score wins. If not game over. And I'm even fine just adding this stipulation to Playoffs only because I know the NFL fears the games lasting too long.

Oh, yeah, that's been my argument all along. Not the fairness argument. As a fan, it certainly is disappointing when your team loses in OT but never touches the ball, but usually there are plays during regulation that could have been made to avoid going into OT or have your defense stop them.

My argument has always been from the standpoint of making the overall product better.

dr-evil-cry.gif

LOL. It's official now. The nightmare is over.

did this asshole really just release a statement thanking his Bucs teammates, coaches, trainers, fans, owners, his trainer, marcus rashford, tampa bay rays legend wade boggs, george steinbrenner's ghost, hulk hogan, busch gardens and warren sapp... and not even mention the Patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom