NFL Thread III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion and I believe is shared in the masses is:

I just want both teams to be able to have at least one possession in overtime. That's all.

would the college rules be more entertaining? yes. are the current rules unfair? no.

I read an article this morning...

In college, the winner of OT is about 50-50. Either side has about the same statistical chance of winning the game.

In the pros, the loser of the coin toss only wins 42% of the time. So maybe the college rules are both more entertaining AND fairer.

Last edited:
I read an article this morning...

In college, the winner of OT is about 50-50. Either side has about the same statistical chance of winning the game.

In the pros, the loser of the coin toss only wins 42% of the time. So maybe the college rules are both more entertaining AND fairer.

Yep, and big picture, all the stats and data don't matter to me. I think most people would just want to see both teams have the ball once so the coin flip only determines which team gets the ball first in overtime. In current state, the coin flip plays a bigger factor than it needs to.

I think that in sports like Hockey where there are multiple games to be played, a sudden death OT isn't the end of the world.

But for football, since it is just the one game, at the very least in the playoffs, yes, both teams MUST get a shot at scoring.

I think that in sports like Hockey where there are multiple games to be played, a sudden death OT isn't the end of the world.

But for football, since it is just the one game, at the very least in the playoffs, yes, both teams MUST get a shot at scoring.

Yep, especially since both defenses weren't doing anything to stop their opponents at the end of the game. You never know what would have happened if Buffalo got their own possession in OT, but the fact that we will never know is really disappointing.

FJ3_Y8lWYAMgWeY

Yep, especially since both defenses weren't doing anything to stop their opponents at the end of the game. You never know what would have happened if Buffalo got their own possession in OT, but the fact that we will never know is really disappointing.

And anyway why should it be on Buffalo to make the first and possibly only defensive stop in OT? A coin toss built totally around luck (unless you believe tails never fails) isn't the fairest or most objective way to determine who gets a 25%+ boost to their chances of stealing the game. It makes sense to determine who goes first (or which team should decide that), but you really should give each team a possession and go until a score cannot be matched.

And anyway why should it be on Buffalo to make the first and possibly only defensive stop in OT? A coin toss built totally around luck (unless you believe tails never fails) isn't the fairest or most objective way to determine who gets a 25%+ boost to their chances of stealing the game. It makes sense to determine who goes first (or which team should decide that), but you really should give each team a possession and go until a score cannot be matched.

100%. That seems like the only fair way to determine a true winner.

As we all know, not too long ago, it really was basically the coin toss that decided who won. A field goal to end things on the first drive was a joke of a rule. I've been content since that went out the window.

Exactly! We grew up with that shit. But, I'm actually fine with the current format. If a team wants fairness, then they need to D-up and prevent the other team from scoring a TD.

I would imagine those defenses last night were both exhausted. Whoever lost the coin toss was likely to lose the game, and we all knew it.

Where do we think Rodgers will be playing next year?

Hopefully anywhere but Green Bay. I just can't believe the team is already vocally saying they want him back. Just...why? What is there to gain from another season of this? I get that there's nothing waiting in the wings, but the guy is a complete headcase at this point. Drama everywhere he goes, looks foolish, drawing hugely unnecessary attention on himself. Now he's an election denier as well as an anti-vaxxer? Like....just distance yourself from this dude already, he's a trainwreck.

Hopefully anywhere but Green Bay. I just can't believe the team is already vocally saying they want him back. Just...why? What is there to gain from another season of this? I get that there's nothing waiting in the wings, but the guy is a complete headcase at this point. Drama everywhere he goes, looks foolish, drawing hugely unnecessary attention on himself. Now he's an election denier as well as an anti-vaxxer? Like....just distance yourself from this dude already, he's a trainwreck.

I think they're saying that to drive up his value. Financially, it doesn't make sense to bring Rodgers back. Doing so would cripple the rest of the team and the supporting cast wouldn't look anywhere near what it did the last couple years.

Gutey is really good at bringing in talent. I'd expect a "mutual breakup" much like Payton Manning and the Colts did, then they'll trade him to Denver or Pittsburg, Love will be QB1 but the Packers will also draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round as a safeguard.

The myth that the Packers would only win 4 games without Rodgers will be proven false as they have a ton of talent on the Defense, a top 5 offensive line, and key skill position players. They'll play different ball, rely on the run more, but they'll still be competitive while Love settles in.

Most importantly, we'll still own the Bears.

PS. The best Rodgers joke I saw over the weekend was that it was ironic that Rodgers ran into a bunch of snowflakes and his season was cancelled. LOLZ

I think they're saying that to drive up his value. Financially, it doesn't make sense to bring Rodgers back. Doing so would cripple the rest of the team and the supporting cast wouldn't look anywhere near what it did the last couple years.

Gutey is really good at bringing in talent. I'd expect a "mutual breakup" much like Payton Manning and the Colts did, then they'll trade him to Denver or Pittsburg, Love will be QB1 but the Packers will also draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round as a safeguard.

The myth that the Packers would only win 4 games without Rodgers will be proven false as they have a ton of talent on the Defense, a top 5 offensive line, and key skill position players. They'll play different ball, rely on the run more, but they'll still be competitive while Love settles in.

Most importantly, we'll still own the Bears.

My ideal is the team manages to get a low-mid QB next season (like Jimmy G), drafts a flyer QB and then let's Love and Jimmy fight for the starting role for a year to see if there's any hope for Love or not (unlikely).

Maybe I'm ridiculous, but I don't care.

i think pittsburgh has proven that they don't mind sloppy white trash quarterbacks.

My most preferred landing place for him, so I can hate him without reserve.

My ideal is the team manages to get a low-mid QB next season (like Jimmy G), drafts a flyer QB and then let's Love and Jimmy fight for the starting role for a year to see if there's any hope for Love or not (unlikely).

Maybe I'm ridiculous, but I don't care.

My most preferred landing place for him, so I can hate him without reserve.

Yeah, I'm good with the veteran QB in place of an early round draft choice too. I was actually for the most part impressed with what I saw from Jordan Love this season. Everyone gave him crap for the KC game, but fact is, they were shutting down everyone around that time. Very tough environment to come into for your very first start. If he can be above average and have a clutch gene, which Rodgers obviously did not have other than a couple crazy awesome plays in 2015-2016, then I think the Packers are still in great position long term.

A veteran would be the way to go this year at least, with the draft not a particularly strong one for QBs.

I'm more about them getting a veteran that wouldn't actually create a controversy though. One that is for sure a true backup. Give Love the keys and see what he can do.

A veteran would be the way to go this year at least, with the draft not a particularly strong one for QBs.

My thought as well, though I'd obviously be happy to find a surprise if there is one to be found.

I'm more about them getting a veteran that wouldn't actually create a controversy though. One that is for sure a true backup. Give Love the keys and see what he can do.

I just can't agree here at all. What have you seen from Love in any of his starts that inspires so much confidence?

I'd much rather he have competition and if he earns the job, great!

My thought as well, though I'd obviously be happy to find a surprise if there is one to be found.

I just can't agree here at all. What have you seen from Love in any of his starts that inspires so much confidence?

I'd much rather he have competition and if he earns the job, great!

The Detroit game specifically, he looked a lot more poised until the very end where he had to try to force one (and did make a bad throw).

Even in the KC game, the kid hung in there and did lead a TD drive towards the end and never saw that ball again after that.

Looking beyond the numbers and Win/Loss column when he was in there, his mechanics looked good. Much quicker release than when he was in college. That will help him improve his accuracy from Year 2 to Year 3. Seemed to have a good grip on the offense. Check downs, audibles, all went smooth. Footwork in the pocket could still use a little work, but that definitely improved in the Detroit game compared to KC where they were in his face every play.

Have I seen anything that tells me he's the next Rodgers or Favre? Not yet, but he's definitely an NFL QB with a really good QB centered Head Coach and a GM that is very good at bringing in talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom