NFL Thread III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aww, they made the right decision in the end?

giphy.gif

At least they're letting the GM make the call now instead of trying to force a GM and coach to work together.

Just need to hire the right GM. The names for that position being tossed around are the right names (for now). Tisch has awoken from his slumber and decided to get involved, so I have to believe there's pressure on Mara to, ya know, not have two family members run the scouting and player personnel departments.

Last edited:
I had no strong preference for who would win Bills/Patriots but seeing the Bills annihilate the Pats like that after Belichick used to run up the score was very entertaining.

I had no strong preference for who would win Bills/Patriots but seeing the Bills annihilate the Pats like that after Belichick used to run up the score was very entertaining.

I don't get the continued "running up the score" narrative associated with Belichick, and I assume it's just a Patriots thing due to their success through the years, since he's hardly the only coach who plays throughout no matter what, but ok.

I had no issue with the Bills scoring yesterday. The Patriots couldn't stop it - that's on them. Not the Bills fault.

That loss is on the defense way more than it's on the offense or Jones.
The guy in charge of that defense needs to be fired today. As its Steve Belichick, that won't happen. But until Bill realizes that kid must have gotten his football acumen from his mother, Pats are in trouble.
They ended the season as the team I described them as after week 6, the 7 game win streak was basically a mirage.

That loss is on the defense way more than it's on the offense or Jones.
The guy in charge of that defense needs to be fired today. As its Steve Belichick, that won't happen. But until Bill realizes that kid must have gotten his football acumen from his mother, Pats are in trouble.
They ended the season as the team I described them as after week 6, the 7 game win streak was basically a mirage.
There were definitely overreaction to how bad a team they were, but I think things look bright as long as Bill gives the kid the boot. Any other coach I'd agree it wouldn't happen but nothing would surprise me with Belichick.

I'm thinking they're a pretty great team next year and Jones shapes up a bit more, but pieces are in place. That defense definitely wasn't that bad all season. I don't know WHAT that was.

I'm higher on the team than you are. I was back then, and still am. I don't think it was a mirage at all. I think it's a sign of things to come; they just need to get more consistent with it.

Jones is legit. Having the QB in place is obviously a major step.

I think Belichick, while he has certainly evolved over the last couple years in his free agency/draft approach, needs to go a step further in doing something he really hasn't done - get a legitimate #1 receiver. I think Bourne and Meyers are great #2s, but they need a true superstar at that position.

After that, it's obviously fixing the defense. Not sure if they re-sign JC Jackson or not, but now more than ever, it's apparent that they need speed on that side of the ball. Hopefully they'll address that this offseason.

I think Belichick, while he has certainly evolved over the last couple years in his free agency/draft approach

His draft this year was a straight up success. Jones, Barmore and Stephenson with 3 of your first 4 picks.

The praise he got for the FA class is way overblown and mostly a result of Judon having a great first 10 games of the season.
Judon disappeared down the stretch.
Still a good signing, but only Bourne and Henry were also worthwhile signings.
Jonnu Smith, complete bust.
Nelson Algholor, complete bust.
Godchaux, waste of money.
Mills...so so.

Got maybe 50% of value for the money spent.

Weird you’re saying Smith and Agholor are complete busts. Some awkward chicken and egg argument. Billy B is known for mixing up his featured receivers and backs. Took a while to get Mac Jones producing. Agholor had his games, but it’s not like his numbers were anything less than his career averages. He was just targeted less.

Agholor averaged 31.5 receiving yards a game in the 15 games he played.
For $12 million. That is a complete bust. Targeted less because of his inability to get open,

Smith averaged 18.4 yards and scored a whole 1 TD,
What did you think of Smith's performance last night...you don't say, you didn't notice him? 21 snaps, 0 targets, 0 catches, 0 rushes

Those are flat out busts for the contracts they signed this season. To argue differently is just arguing for the sake of arguing.

I don't have a means of watching this game - but did SF just call a QB sneak on 4th down with a 7-point lead and under a minute left in the game? WTF was that?

Agholor averaged 31.5 receiving yards a game in the 15 games he played.
For $12 million. That is a complete bust. Targeted less because of his inability to get open,

Smith averaged 18.4 yards and scored a whole 1 TD,
What did you think of Smith's performance last night...you don't say, you didn't notice him? 21 snaps, 0 targets, 0 catches, 0 rushes

Those are flat out busts for the contracts they signed this season. To argue differently is just arguing for the sake of arguing.

You kinda do this thing sometimes where you miss the point. Agholor is the same Agholor he was before. He was targeted less. What did you expect?

Yeah, if anything the Patriots overpaid for Agholor. He is who he is.

As for Smith, it was more of a projection of how he would continue to improve as he came into this system. Obviously that didn't happen.

Godchaux and Mills were pretty good though.

I don't have a means of watching this game - but did SF just call a QB sneak on 4th down with a 7-point lead and under a minute left in the game? WTF was that?

Yep, and they got it, but were penalized. I thought it was a good call. It was literally a couple of inches.

And it was only a six point lead.

Last edited:
Was actually cheering for Dallas because I think the 49ers are going to be a really tough matchup for Green Bay. Fatigue might hit San Fran though. Short week as they’ll play on Saturday and the 49ers have been in the road the last 4 of 5 weeks. They’re playing really good ball though.

Yep, and they got it, but were penalized. I thought it was a good call. It was literally a couple of inches.

And it was only a six point lead.

There were some real shenanigans with the clock at the end of that game,

The ball was snapped at 1:21 on the Samuel run on 3rd down, play took about 8-9 seconds as he went around the end,
They spot the ball and start the clock, then an official's timeout for measurement, Clock is stopped at 1 minute even and play clock at 29.
They measure, grant the first, then go to replay, re-spot the ball and remeasure it short. So now clock should resume and tick down and SF can run it to 31-32 seconds before calling timeout.
But wait, they set game clock to 1:04, then set play clock to 25. Say what?
Then Shanahan calls timeout as the game clock ticks from 39 to 38. But when they take the field for the play, game clock is at 40. That in essence is saying the Samuel run on 3rd took exactly 1 second.
Someone was trying to give Dallas every chance to pull that thing out. Even that penalty call, looked to me like Willaims was fully set.

Yeah, if anything the Patriots overpaid for Agholor. He is who he is.

And at the price they paid, he is a free agent bust. He was paid to be a #1, to stretch the field, be a deep threat. He led the NFL in YPC last year, clearly that was the outlier, but he was paid to bring that kind of production and it wasn't anywhere close to there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom