NFL Thread III - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-24-2021, 11:25 PM   #101
More 5G Than Man
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 68,435
Local Time: 09:53 PM
The Chiefs are built different. I've never seen an offense this impossible to clamp down. Not the 1999-2001 Rams, not the 2007 Patriots, not the 2013-2015 Broncos. The Bucs could go up 14 in the Super Bowl and I would still fully expect the Chiefs to win by two scores. The 2018-2020 Chiefs is definitely the most transcendent run any offense has had.

The only way the Bucs win is if they rack up a bunch of turnovers and cash in on every single one. Taylor Heinecke made that secondary look amateur; I can only imagine that Reid drawing up schemes for Mahomes, Tyreek, Kelce, etc. will run a track meet over them. It's up to the defense to give the offense more chances to score on short fields.
__________________

LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:22 AM   #102
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 83,592
Local Time: 09:53 PM
I'm curious to know what the logic was from LaFleur. I haven't really felt like reading anything yet as far as postmortems go. I'm not going to say I agree with it, but I'd like to know if there was some analytic reason for the choice. I can accept the fact that newer coaches are going in a more analytical decision, and hell, maybe that's what happened here. But regardless, I hate the choice. Hate hate hate it.

So, yeah. A lot of reasons for the loss, most of which is that, it just keeps happening and I'm sure that's going to follow Rodgers for the rest of time, just like Manning.

I don't have much else to say. Obviously I'm feeling down about it, and I really do hate how that game was officiated. Would've been nice if the team hadn't done so many dumbass things at the game that took the conversation away from that, but they did, which makes the responsibility for all of this squarely on their shoulders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Yea I mean I'm clearly not as impressed by a 3 INT performance against a team that shit the bed at every opportunity as you are.

Brady went to a team with mondo weapons in a weak NFC. They beat the worst playoff team ever, a team with a noodle armed QB, and a historically choking team that choked. And wouldn't ya know they get to the Super Bowl and it's a home game.

Sorry if I'm not ready to write off Belichick based on this.

But since you brought it up - yes, the Pats had a down year this season.

Their record from 2001 on without Brady in the lineup was 14-6. So saying he's just a .500 coach without Brady's just a tad unfair.

In Cleveland he had a playoff team that was turning the corner before the owner pulled the rug out from underneath him with the announcement that they were headed to Baltimore. The last Browns playoff win before this season was by a Belichick coached team.
All of that.
__________________

__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:13 AM   #103
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,330
Local Time: 12:53 AM
Given that “all of that” is a response to me, perhaps unintentionally, I’d appreciate if you’re going to participate that you don’t just seem to entirely neglect the response to “all of that” because it feels sort of dismissive.
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 03:40 AM   #104
The Fly
 
Sickly Vulpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 83
Local Time: 08:53 PM
One, two, Brady's coming for you....
Sickly Vulpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:46 AM   #105
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 31,883
Local Time: 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Given that “all of that” is a response to me, perhaps unintentionally, I’d appreciate if you’re going to participate that you don’t just seem to entirely neglect the response to “all of that” because it feels sort of dismissive.
Its just her way of saying Peyton Manning is still better than Brady in her eyes.
Hewson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:17 AM   #106
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 26,928
Local Time: 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I'm curious to know what the logic was from LaFleur. I haven't really felt like reading anything yet as far as postmortems go. I'm not going to say I agree with it, but I'd like to know if there was some analytic reason for the choice. I can accept the fact that newer coaches are going in a more analytical decision, and hell, maybe that's what happened here. But regardless, I hate the choice. Hate hate hate it.

So, yeah. A lot of reasons for the loss, most of which is that, it just keeps happening and I'm sure that's going to follow Rodgers for the rest of time, just like Manning.

I don't have much else to say. Obviously I'm feeling down about it, and I really do hate how that game was officiated. Would've been nice if the team hadn't done so many dumbass things at the game that took the conversation away from that, but they did, which makes the responsibility for all of this squarely on their shoulders.



All of that.
Yeah I mean it's one of those judgement calls where if the Packers didn't get it on 4th down, then you'd wish you had the 3 points and a chance to stop them.

Hate to say it, as much as I appreciate everything Rodgers has done for Green Bay, the guy is not good in championship games. He wasn't good enough yesterday. The game clearly swung in GB's favor after those Brady picks and we went 3 and put twice. You can't do that in a Championship game. Sure there were a lot of factors that caused the Packers to lose, but once again I came away underwhelmed by Rodgers. If the Jordan Love Era starts next season, I'm not going to be crushed having all of that salary cap space to bulk up the roster even more.
mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:32 AM   #107
War Child
 
Jerry Dunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 939
Local Time: 12:53 AM
Andy Reid was held back in Philadelphia by an incompetent front office.
Jerry Dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:37 AM   #108
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 31,883
Local Time: 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Yeah I mean it's one of those judgement calls where if the Packers didn't get it on 4th down, then you'd wish you had the 3 points and a chance to stop them.
Yeah but if you failed on 4th, you have TB pinned at the 8 yard line (or closer if you complete a pass short of the goal line), so you increase your odds if you do stop them.
You had to stop them either way, if you stop them and they have 17 extra yards (or more depending on kick return) of field position, it makes scoring that much harder in a short time span even though you have removed the conversion from the equation. You're at the 8 yard line, you have to go for it on 4th down.
Had Wroggers been been sacked on 3rd down back at the 18 or something, then I can make an argument for the field goal, but at the 8, kicking that FG is a fire-able offense for LaFleur. Its his Grady Little moment.
Hewson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:38 AM   #109
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 31,883
Local Time: 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Dunk View Post
Andy Reid was held back in Philadelphia by an incompetent front office.
Counter point, he was held back by Donovan McNabb, and was held back for a while in KC by Alex Smith.
Now he has Patrick Mahomes.
Hewson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:40 AM   #110
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,330
Local Time: 12:53 AM
Two different beasts though. He was held back by McNabb in that McNabb choked. Smith didn’t choke, he was never the star QB that carried his team like McNabb was.
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:40 AM   #111
Refugee
 
DeVaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 2,318
Local Time: 12:53 AM
My joy was listening to Boston sports radio this morning talk in deafeated tones about how “who’d want to go to the Patriots?” “They’d be my 7th choice, I’d rather be on the Jets” and “it’s obvious who the real magic was all those years and now he’s gone.”
DeVaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:05 AM   #112
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 26,928
Local Time: 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Yeah but if you failed on 4th, you have TB pinned at the 8 yard line (or closer if you complete a pass short of the goal line), so you increase your odds if you do stop them.

You had to stop them either way, if you stop them and they have 17 extra yards (or more depending on kick return) of field position, it makes scoring that much harder in a short time span even though you have removed the conversion from the equation. You're at the 8 yard line, you have to go for it on 4th down.

Had Wroggers been been sacked on 3rd down back at the 18 or something, then I can make an argument for the field goal, but at the 8, kicking that FG is a fire-able offense for LaFleur. Its his Grady Little moment.
Oh yeah I agree. I guess I'm just not as outraged as everyone else because I was already pissed off at the team's inability to get more than 6 points off of 3 turnovers in the 2nd half. If we had scored a TD there and a 2 point, I'm sure TB would have driven down the field and kicked a field goal anyway.
mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:25 AM   #113
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 31,883
Local Time: 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVaul View Post
My joy was listening to Boston sports radio this morning talk in deafeated tones about how “who’d want to go to the Patriots?” “They’d be my 7th choice, I’d rather be on the Jets” and “it’s obvious who the real magic was all those years and now he’s gone.”
There's plenty of doom and glom on sports talk radio here for sure. But lets be clear. The Jets are still by far the worst franchise in the NFL
They couldn't even tank properly when Trevor Lawrence was being handed to them on a platter.
Hewson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:30 AM   #114
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,330
Local Time: 12:53 AM
Yeah I don’t know who is out there saying they’d rather play for the Jets. Maybe “I’d rather live in New York” but that’s as far as I’d go with that.
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:33 AM   #115
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 31,883
Local Time: 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Two different beasts though. He was held back by McNabb in that McNabb choked. Smith didn’t choke, he was never the star QB that carried his team like McNabb was.
Fair point, but my point still stands that no great coach is going to be uber successful without the talent on the field.
Some can do more with less for sure, but to win titles you need talent and usually at the most important position (QB). Obviously there are exceptions like the Ravens in 2000, but that team was so talent stacked on defense they didn't need a Brady or Mahomes (and lets not forget their opponent wasn't exactly helmed by Joe Montana),
Hewson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:34 AM   #116
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 31,883
Local Time: 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Yeah I don’t know who is out there saying they’d rather play for the Jets. Maybe “I’d rather live in New York” but that’s as far as I’d go with that.
There is word going around the Jets are Deshaun Watson's #1 preferred trade destination. Apparently because of Saleh.
Your Dolphins being his number 2.
Not sure I buy it.
Hewson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:36 AM   #117
Refugee
 
DeVaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 2,318
Local Time: 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
There's plenty of doom and glom on sports talk radio here for sure. But lets be clear. The Jets are still by far the worst franchise in the NFL

They couldn't even tank properly when Trevor Lawrence was being handed to them on a platter.


I ain’t disagreeing! The hosts were in a hilariously sad place
DeVaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:00 PM   #118
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: nazi punks fuck off
Posts: 21,884
Local Time: 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Two different beasts though. He was held back by McNabb in that McNabb choked. Smith didn’t choke, he was never the star QB that carried his team like McNabb was.
excuse me, mcnabb didn't choke either.

DaveC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:12 PM   #119
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,330
Local Time: 12:53 AM
Strange with McNabb though, looking at his career numbers, he really wasn’t the star I remembered him as at all.
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:30 PM   #120
More 5G Than Man
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 68,435
Local Time: 09:53 PM
McNabb was so fucking bad in Washington that I'm forever gunshy toward older FA quarterbacks. The fanbase is intrigued about Matthew Stafford and inside I'm screaming YOU'LL DOOM US ALL.
__________________

LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×