NFL Thread III - Page 48 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-30-2022, 10:35 PM   #941
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 83,865
Local Time: 08:02 PM
Making up for "super" Wild Card weekend, which was terrible. We don't need 14 teams in the playoffs.
__________________

__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 11:13 PM   #942
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: turtle island
Posts: 22,294
Local Time: 11:02 PM
the cincinnati bengals are in the super bowl wtf
__________________

DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 08:29 AM   #943
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: This forum just ain't what it was pre-2007 but I still post here
Posts: 69,607
Local Time: 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Counterpoint - a coin shouldn't decide which team should be forced to make a stop
so that again is where i disagree. saying that you are "forcing" someone to get a stop implies that offense is more important than defense - or that the offense has a distinct advantage over the defense.

the statistics simply don't bare this out.

the 2007 New England Patriots - the greatest offensive team of all time - scored a touchdown on 44% of their drives. this is the highest touchdown percentage ever recorded in the NFL. So even the greatest offense in NFL history still was at a statistical disadvantage on any given drive vs. the defense.

the entire NFL scored touchdowns on 20% of their drives this year. and that's ALL drives - whether it was 99 yards or 1 yard. i believe the number drops to 18% when you only count drives that start with a kickoff. so that's a clear and undeniable advantage on every drive, over the long haul, for the DEFENSE... not the offense.

and even in extreme cases - i.e. the 2007 Pats - the defense still has a slight advantage on every drive.

so i know it seems unfair - but we need to be careful not to overreact to small sample sizes. over the long haul the statistics are quite clear that it's not the case.

and i obviously also know that i'm not going to convince anyone here who is on team "give both teams the ball" that my argument is correct, nor is anyone going to convince me that the coin toss is somehow "unfair"

alas, here we are.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 08:40 AM   #944
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 27,444
Local Time: 10:02 PM
Gotta be honest. I just don't see how thinking the current NFL Overtime Rules are just fine is even a real opinion. It's one of those opinions where I wonder if I'm living in a fantasy world.

Not trying to be a jerk, but it's just one of those obvious things where both teams should have the chance to have a possession. It's not even about fairness or blaming the coin tos. Using statistics doesn't even matter here because it's just one of those common sense items.

Just a really strange debate.
mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 08:51 AM   #945
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: This forum just ain't what it was pre-2007 but I still post here
Posts: 69,607
Local Time: 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Using statistics doesn't even matter here because it's just one of those common sense items.
yea i'm just going to walk out of the room now.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:13 AM   #946
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 27,444
Local Time: 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
yea i'm just going to walk out of the room now.
Statistics don't matter though because the argument isn't to change the outcome of games or change the likelihood of a team winning. None of that matters.

We just want both teams to have a chance on offense because that would make the game so much more enjoyable.
mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:24 AM   #947
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: This forum just ain't what it was pre-2007 but I still post here
Posts: 69,607
Local Time: 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Statistics don't matter though because the argument isn't to change the outcome of games or change the likelihood of a team winning. None of that matters.

We just want both teams to have a chance on offense because that would make the game so much more enjoyable.
i'm not even going to deny that - but it's a completely different argument. if the argument is that we should change the OT rules to allow both teams to touch the ball no matter what, and/or to switch to the college version, strictly because it's more entertaining to the viewer? well, okay. there's some truth there.

my only debate is with the idea that the current system is somehow "unfair." it's not - and the stats back that up overwhelmingly.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:40 AM   #948
More 5G Than Man
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 68,642
Local Time: 08:02 PM
My issue always comes down to the validity of allowing a coin toss to shift the probability of victory in any substantial way. Even if the average team scores a TD on only 18% of their drives, what is the merit of allowing one team such a notable statistical advantage due to the outcome of a choice with roughly 50/50 probability and no true skill? How does that make the game more entertaining or fair?

Even in other sudden death scenarios in professional sports, like NHL hockey, you can score before the other offense gets the puck, but it requires winning a face off and that takes skill. Both teams have a shot at taking over on offense because of a skill inherent to the sport itself.

But yeah allowing the other NFL offense a chance to match the results of the opposing offense would be more entertaining as well, to me at least. Both offenses and both defenses are required to excel in this scenario, not just one or the other.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:45 AM   #949
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 27,444
Local Time: 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
i'm not even going to deny that - but it's a completely different argument. if the argument is that we should change the OT rules to allow both teams to touch the ball no matter what, and/or to switch to the college version, strictly because it's more entertaining to the viewer? well, okay. there's some truth there.

my only debate is with the idea that the current system is somehow "unfair." it's not - and the stats back that up overwhelmingly.
Oh, yeah, that's been my argument all along. Not the fairness argument. As a fan, it certainly is disappointing when your team loses in OT but never touches the ball, but usually there are plays during regulation that could have been made to avoid going into OT or have your defense stop them.

My argument has always been from the standpoint of making the overall product better.
mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:47 AM   #950
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 27,444
Local Time: 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
My issue always comes down to the validity of allowing a coin toss to shift the probability of victory in any substantial way. Even if the average team scores a TD on only 18% of their drives, what is the merit of allowing one team such a notable statistical advantage due to the outcome of a choice with roughly 50/50 probability and no true skill? How does that make the game more entertaining or fair?

Even in other sudden death scenarios in professional sports, like NHL hockey, you can score before the other offense gets the puck, but it requires winning a face off and that takes skill. Both teams have a shot at taking over on offense because of a skill inherent to the sport itself.

But yeah allowing the other NFL offense a chance to match the results of the opposing offense would be more entertaining as well, to me at least. Both offenses and both defenses are required to excel in this scenario, not just one or the other.
Yep. This is why I think adding the opportunity for the opposing offense to match a TD is a really easy tweak. If they match it, next score wins. If not game over. And I'm even fine just adding this stipulation to Playoffs only because I know the NFL fears the games lasting too long.
mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:49 AM   #951
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: This forum just ain't what it was pre-2007 but I still post here
Posts: 69,607
Local Time: 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Oh, yeah, that's been my argument all along. Not the fairness argument. As a fan, it certainly is disappointing when your team loses in OT but never touches the ball, but usually there are plays during regulation that could have been made to avoid going into OT or have your defense stop them.

My argument has always been from the standpoint of making the overall product better.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:51 AM   #952
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 27,444
Local Time: 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 05:19 PM   #953
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
MrPryck2U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Long Island, NY, USA, Earth
Posts: 9,797
Local Time: 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Football is not just an offensive game. The rule is fine as is.

Also Cooper Kupp is not human.
That OBJ guy had a pretty good game too.
MrPryck2U is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 07:56 AM   #954
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: This forum just ain't what it was pre-2007 but I still post here
Posts: 69,607
Local Time: 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post
That OBJ guy had a pretty good game too.
talent has never been an issue for OBJ
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 07:57 AM   #955
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: This forum just ain't what it was pre-2007 but I still post here
Posts: 69,607
Local Time: 11:02 PM
Tom Brady is "still going through the process" of waiting until his signing bonus kicks in on February 4th, err, i mean figuring out if he's retiring or not.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:48 AM   #956
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 27,444
Local Time: 10:02 PM
LOL. It's official now. The nightmare is over.
mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:58 AM   #957
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: This forum just ain't what it was pre-2007 but I still post here
Posts: 69,607
Local Time: 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
LOL. It's official now. The nightmare is over.
did this asshole really just release a statement thanking his Bucs teammates, coaches, trainers, fans, owners, his trainer, marcus rashford, tampa bay rays legend wade boggs, george steinbrenner's ghost, hulk hogan, busch gardens and warren sapp... and not even mention the Patriots?
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:13 AM   #958
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 26,080
Local Time: 11:02 PM
I think there’s something coming for that part. I thought I heard he’d retire as a Patriot. Not sure if that’s just a rumor.

At least I hope there’s more to it.
phanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:14 AM   #959
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: This forum just ain't what it was pre-2007 but I still post here
Posts: 69,607
Local Time: 11:02 PM
dude thanked St. Petersburg lol
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:22 AM   #960
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,914
Local Time: 11:02 PM
St. Pete is way cooler than Tampa.
__________________

LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×