NFL Thread III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll say this, there has been a lot of playoff heartbreak as a Packers fan. It sucks. But it's crazy to think that Favre started playing for GB when I was 11, and by the time Rodgers' 4 year contract is done, I'll be 46. That's 35 years of HOF QB play. It's been fun and have a couple of Superb Owl Trophies to show for it. Hopefully 1 more by the time this is done.

There's a part of me that is jealous of Seattle getting all of those draft picks. Could have been GB, lol. But draft picks aren't always guaranteed.

There's a part of me that is jealous of Seattle getting all of those draft picks. Could have been GB, lol. But draft picks aren't always guaranteed.

True. But that's an epic, almost Herschel Walker-esque haul for Wilson.
Fant is an above average TE. Lock can be a decent 2nd string QB/clipboard holder, or could start during the 2022 tank season to ensure they draft his replacement in 23.

And 2 1's and 2 2's. That's potentially 4 starters for 5-10 years if they draft well.

True. But that's an epic, almost Herschel Walker-esque haul for Wilson.
Fant is an above average TE. Lock can be a decent 2nd string QB/clipboard holder, or could start during the 2022 tank season to ensure they draft his replacement in 23.

And 2 1's and 2 2's. That's potentially 4 starters for 5-10 years if they draft well.

I still think Seattle will come on the losing side of this, mostly because they just have not been drafting well at all recently. Unless one of those picks can be turned into either a franchise QB or future HOF'er at another position, they lose. Obviously it'll take some time to declare a winner.

PS. The AFC West is gonna be a fun division to watch.

Today was interesting but I don't feel like it's going to shake things up that much.

The highest paid QB in the league puts on MAGAface in the morning for attention and can't beat Jimmy G. They really just kicked the can down the road and their roster is going to be appreciably worse because of their cap situation...but at least they'll still be watchable for a while longer. I have no idea what happens to Jordan Love now.

Seattle stocked up on draft picks but hasn't been able to draft well in years. They needed to part ways though, so I get the impulse. It's not a bad trade for them. I think the best thing they could do is package the picks for a known quantity stud QB.

Denver mortgaged their future for the third best QB in the AFC West. They'll be much better but probably not Super Bowl caliber in a conference stacked with great QBs.

Last edited:
Today was interesting but I don't feel like it's going to shake things up that much.

The highest paid QB in the league puts on MAGAface in the morning for attention and can't beat Jimmy G. They really just kicked the can down the road and their roster is going to be appreciably worse because of their cap situation...but at least they'll still be watchable for a while longer. I have no idea what happens to Jordan Love now.

Seattle stocked up on draft picks but hasn't been able to draft well in years. They needed to part ways though, so I get the impulse. It's not a bad trade for them. I think the best thing they could do is package the picks for a known quantity stud QB.

Denver mortgaged their future for the third best QB in the AFC West. They'll be much better but probably not Super Bowl caliber in a conference stacked with great QBs.

Obviously talking what ifs here, but just because Rodgers has come up short recently does that automatically mean he will in 2022. Even the almighty Brady went thru a 10 year SB drought. And the Packers won't be in salary cap hell every year. The cap continues to grow every year and it's definitely something you can manipulate, especially having Russ Ball in the Front Office.

live shot at Jordan Love

419.gif

live shot at Jordan Love

419.gif

Amazing how fragile an NFL career is. I think he has promise, but he looked shaky in his two games last year, and the Packers must just not have seen enough to hand the keys over.

I see a lot of people slamming the Packers for the pick 2 years ago, but how quickly they forget that Rodgers was turning 37 at the time and had two below average years in a row and was injured in 2017. I don't think anyone expected 2 back to back MVP years.

I see a lot of people slamming the Packers for the pick 2 years ago, but how quickly they forget that Rodgers was turning 37 at the time and had two below average years in a row and was injured in 2017. I don't think anyone expected 2 back to back MVP years.

I will never understand this mentality among some fans (and players) that an organization is supposed to sit around in hushed reverence over an aging star rather than plan for the future. Seems like the route that Pittsburgh took with Roethlisberger, and look where they are now - praying that SF makes Garappolo available for trade.

I will never understand this mentality among some fans (and players) that an organization is supposed to sit around in hushed reverence over an aging star rather than plan for the future. Seems like the route that Pittsburgh took with Roethlisberger, and look where they are now - praying that SF makes Garappolo available for trade.

100%. And it may still work out for the Packers/Love. He's a low cap number, he has another year or so to learn the system and fine tune his game. While everyone thinks Rodgers has 4 more years left, all it takes is a major injury to start the next phase quickly. If Love is looking really good in a year or two, then he's either ready to take over in that scenario or the Packers go let him go and start the search over.

Hmm I don’t know. I think it’s pretty clear that Rodgers and Ben are on different levels. I think we’ve learned that a healthy and fit QB can still be playing meaningful, good football into their late 30s and even 40s. Not just Brady… Drew Brees, perhaps Kurt Warner, sort of Brett Favre, sort of Peyton Manning. Im sure Rodgers’ feathers were ruffled for not being compared to who he sees as his peers. Granted… Favre and Manning in fact went elsewhere to age

Hmm I don’t know. I think it’s pretty clear that Rodgers and Ben are on different levels. I think we’ve learned that a healthy and fit QB can still be playing meaningful, good football into their late 30s and even 40s. Not just Brady… Drew Brees, perhaps Kurt Warner, sort of Brett Favre, sort of Peyton Manning. Im sure Rodgers’ feathers were ruffled for not being compared to who he sees as his peers. Granted… Favre and Manning in fact went elsewhere to age

The scary things for GM's is that it seems like once the drop off in performance happens, it happens quickly and sometimes without warning. Look at Peyton Manning and Brett Favre for example.

Manning broke the record for TD's in 2013, still had a pretty good year in 2014, and then suddenly halfway through the 2015 season, it looked like he couldn't throw the ball further than 10 yards.

Same with Favre in '09. Looked better than ever and then looked way too old for the league in 2010.

Even Brees last year. You could see it happening just like the previous two I mentioned.

it also has to be hard to judge when Rodgers' drop off is going to occur, considering as it's already occurred annually each January for about a decade now

Haha well played.

In reality though, drop off is why I hope the Packers try to hang onto Jordan Love a couple more years at least. There's no guarantee that Rodgers will play at the same level for the next 4 years. In 2 years he might get the noodle arm and then you know it's time to move on.

ehhh i think you need to try and trade him now while he still holds some value. you don't give ole horse pills mcgillicutty 150 million guaranteed to sit him down 2 years in. it's ride and die time.

maybe they hold on to him for one more year in hopes of trading him before next year's draft - but any longer and his value will begin to plummet.

The scary things for GM's is that it seems like once the drop off in performance happens, it happens quickly and sometimes without warning. Look at Peyton Manning and Brett Favre for example.

Manning broke the record for TD's in 2013, still had a pretty good year in 2014, and then suddenly halfway through the 2015 season, it looked like he couldn't throw the ball further than 10 yards.

Same with Favre in '09. Looked better than ever and then looked way too old for the league in 2010.

Even Brees last year. You could see it happening just like the previous two I mentioned.

I totally agree, but I’ll have to push back a little bit on Drew Brees final year. 106 QBR, 3000 yards in only 12 games, above career avg on TD%, below career avg on INT%, 70% completion (above career avg. too). I’m pretty sure what you remember was the 11 broken ribs, punctured lung, and torn plantar fascia. He wasn’t healthy and looked a bit “off” (and still put up pro bowl numbers).

I totally agree, but I’ll have to push back a little bit on Drew Brees final year. 106 QBR, 3000 yards in only 12 games, above career avg on TD%, below career avg on INT%, 70% completion (above career avg. too). I’m pretty sure what you remember was the 11 broken ribs, punctured lung, and torn plantar fascia. He wasn’t healthy and looked a bit “off” (and still put up pro bowl numbers).

That's a good point. I actually forgot how good his numbers were and my mind may have been skewed by his last game.

With Rodgers, it's not like they tried to trade or demote him or something - just drafted an insurance policy. The way he reacted as though that perfectly reasonable move was some kind of unforgivable insult reeks of hubris.

With Rodgers, it's not like they tried to trade or demote him or something - just drafted an insurance policy. The way he reacted as though that perfectly reasonable move was some kind of unforgivable insult reeks of hubris.

Somewhat. He’s clearly a quiet diva. But also they should have consulted him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom