NFL Thread III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, he could at least thank the videographer in New England for jump starting his career.

did this asshole really just release a statement thanking his Bucs teammates, coaches, trainers, fans, owners, his trainer, marcus rashford, tampa bay rays legend wade boggs, george steinbrenner's ghost, hulk hogan, busch gardens and warren sapp... and not even mention the Patriots?

I think there’s something coming for that part. I thought I heard he’d retire as a Patriot. Not sure if that’s just a rumor.

At least I hope there’s more to it.

This is a very bad look for him. He has always been very calculated and image conscious. The lack of a mention of the Patriots was clearly intentional, and it makes him look petty.

This is a very bad look for him. He has always been very calculated and image conscious. The lack of a mention of the Patriots was clearly intentional, and it makes him look petty.
Tom being petty

tom-petty-cause-of-death-037d6d8a-6af2-4562-a12b-03428d5040ad.jpg

And now the truth behind Flores’ firing comes out. Buckle up, folks.

This is one wild story unfolding.

Flores makes some solid points regarding the Rooney Rule - but man this is an odd lawsuit to read - he's talking about the Broncos staff looking like they were drinking the night before, the Giants part of the lawsuit being based on Bill Belichick hearing rumors (is it entirely shocking that the newly hired GM from the Bills favored a guy he already had a working relationship with?), and even the Dolphins thing - calling the owner out for wanting to tank?

Flores makes some solid points regarding the Rooney Rule - but man this is an odd lawsuit to read - he's talking about the Broncos staff looking like they were drinking the night before, the Giants part of the lawsuit being based on Bill Belichick hearing rumors (is it entirely shocking that the newly hired GM from the Bills favored a guy he already had a working relationship with?), and even the Dolphins thing - calling the owner out for wanting to tank?
The dolphins thing bothers me the most and explains a whole lot about some other coaches that retained positions for way longer than they should have, in my mind.

I'm confused about the whole Dolphins/Ross meeting (probably) Tom Brady on the Yacht thing and Flores being concerned about Tampering - but he supposedly wanted Deshaun Watson despite the allegations.

Didn't Tampa Bay possibly tamper anyway?

Considering a trade for Watson is a different animal then bringing a future free agent in for a meeting while he is still under contract with another team. Though I'm sure it happens frequently and probably did happen with Tampa. But Flores wanting to follow the rules should not be held against him, and it appears it was by Ross.

As a Dolphins fan, I love seeing Ross thrown into the spotlight as a huge tool. I mean, he’s not that bad of a guy, but 14 years of ownership has resulted in a failed franchise and you can blame all the head coaches and GMs you want… maybe you’re the problem!

Yeah I mean Ross clearly is enthusiastic and willing to throw money around (and we pretty much all wanted them to tank and get Burrow, though it wasn't rocket science to look at Burrow as a future Star QB) - but he just doesn't know how to run a team.

A franchise that used to at least make the playoffs all the time, has made it once with zero wins and zero division titles since he took over. It's just drama and more drama. I'd love if Ross sold the team or were forced out, but I doubt they'll do that. It'll probably be like the Saints and Patriots - fines and draft pick losses - but who knows, we'll see. Well, if Flores has proof.

As a Dolphins fan, I love seeing Ross thrown into the spotlight as a huge tool. I mean, he’s not that bad of a guy, but 14 years of ownership has resulted in a failed franchise and you can blame all the head coaches and GMs you want… maybe you’re the problem!

WaryDeafeningCreature-size_restricted.gif

Yeah I mean Ross clearly is enthusiastic and willing to throw money around (and we pretty much all wanted them to tank and get Burrow, though it wasn't rocket science to look at Burrow as a future Star QB)

At the beginning of the season, Burrow wasn't high on any draft boards and Tua was seen as the prize of the draft (until injury of course), so in essence Dolphins got the guy that they coveted in September of 2019.

The dolphins thing bothers me the most and explains a whole lot about some other coaches that retained positions for way longer than they should have, in my mind.

agreed (and Flores managed to throw the Wizards into the fray somehow, which was odd).

people go into hiring processes with candidates in mind all the time - that doesn't mean they also don't interview other candidates to make sure their instincts are correct. it's not a crazy that a former Bills assistant GM would have his former offensive coordinator, who was himself a very hot name in the coaching market, as a preferred candidate going into the interview process.

you're going to need to provide a little bit more than a text from bill belichick, who isn't even on the team, to prove you were wronged - especially when you're making accusations of prejudice. if you've got some sort of proof that the Mara family are racists and didn't hire Flores for prejudicial reasons? then they should be forced to sell the team. but you need to come with the receipts - and a random drunken text from BB isn't getting the job done.

flores was a worthy candidate - but the one question mark from his time in Miami, the offense, was also the biggest question mark for the Giants. bringing in a guy who helped turn an inconsistent QB who has shown promise with some electric plays, both with his arm and legs, but has been turnover prone into a star is not exactly a crazy thought.

if there's more there - so be it. show it. but just throwing out accusations of prejudice based on bill belichick fucking up a text? come on.

seems like he would have gotten a lot more traction by going after the NFL and the Rooney Rule - which was put in place with good intent but clearly has issues and is due for an overhaul.

and the miami bonuses for tanking thing - okay, sure - but also seems like a separate issue. a big issue - but something that the NFL would need to deal with.

Last edited:
The Rooney rule definitely is not functioning as intended. It's probably making things worse cause some of these minority coaches are getting interviews that are unfortunately not in good faith in some instances. But how do you ensure equity in the hiring process? It's almost impossible.

yea i'm not so sure BB is overly happy with him right now... stick to the eye of the NFL or not.

Unless there's a smoking gun hiding out there somewhere that nobody has brought up - Flores went and took a real issue - the NFL's lack of diversity in coaching and the problems with the Rooney Rule - and clouded it over with flimsy allegations that have zero chance of holding up in court.

this is not the play he thinks it was.

So excited for Leroy Butler making it to the HOF. One of my favorite all time players!

Looking forward to the Superb Owl, the game of 'football' in which the ball is only rarely kicked by foot, with 15-minute quarters but somehow the game goes for well over three hours, featuring 'touchdowns' where the player doesn't actually have to touch the ball down!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom