NFL Thread III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I can't remember which journalist it was, but apparently the Giants want Judge out but they're also concerned about the recent carousel of coaches.

The Flores firing puzzles me...a lot.

rumor is the dolphins have a pair of khakis waiting in the winds...

as for the giants - i don't want to hear any of that crap from the Mara family. they need a full house cleaning - new GM, new coaches, and get all of your damn relatives out of scouting positions. own the team and count your money. bring in a football person and shut up like your dad and granddad did.

Given what I know about Tua - which I admit is solely based on what I hear on the Mina Kimes podcast - it seems like they should have dumped him before the coach.

What have you heard?

A lot of stuff about DVOA and other stats like that. Basically that advanced metrics aren't friendly to him. But again this is an incredibly limited view I have. And apparently Miami's offensive line is terrible, so there's another mitigating factor.

this man still has a job

FIv94NzUUAE8xiL

All I know is entering 2004 the Dolphins had the best winning percentage in the NFL - and they've fallen down the list since then. GM Grier has been with the team since 2000, ironically the last time they won a playoff game.

Maybe not all Grier's fault but he seemingly can't build an O-Line. Flores isn't perfect, he should've guided the team to at least one win against the Jaguars, Falcons or Raiders - 3 games they blew and lost by last second Field Goals. Win one you're in 2nd place and the playoffs. Grier isn't innocent in that though.

It would be amusing if the reason Deshaun Watson wanted to go to Miami was because of Flores, and then Flores teamed back up with his old Patriots acquaintance Caserio and goes to Houston.

Looking more forward to seeing the XFL in NJ next year than the Giants.

Looking more forward to seeing the XFL in NJ next year than the Giants.

i have stuck with this franchise through some shit over the last decade - but i will not waste a minute on them next season if they do not fire Judge.

will always be a fan - but this clown show needs to be kicked in the ass and sent packing.

A lot of stuff about DVOA and other stats like that. Basically that advanced metrics aren't friendly to him. But again this is an incredibly limited view I have. And apparently Miami's offensive line is terrible, so there's another mitigating factor.

Oh, I thought you were saying something about his character.
His stats are not of concern to me. It’s evident he’s made for a running game though - Miami needs a solid RB to compliment him.

I understand that Lamar was hurt. I understand that we're in the era of metrics entering football.

But I can not fathom how the hell the Raven's did what they did, and I'm barely hearing anything about it.

When I think about the two games they lost because they tried to win instead of tie...I love John Harbaugh, I think he's a fantastic coach, but I feel like he's caught some Mike McCarthyitis. Mike seems to be turning it around, maybe advanced stats will eventually work in Harbaugh's favor, but hot damn.

I'll also say I think the Vikings made a mistake firing Zimmer, but I get that he's been there a while and they don't have much to show for it. But I'd get a different QB before I let him go, myself.

If I owned the Ravens, I'd have fired Harbaugh for those stupid decisions.
The first time he did it against Pittsburgh, Jackson was playing.
You have the greatest kicker in NFL history, tie the game and take your chances in OT.
Same thing against the Pack, even though you didn't have Jackson. If you win the coin flip, you probably win the game, I mean Huntley had just led 2 TD drives late in the 4th Q.
Doing it once is cause for a talking to, doing it twice is grounds for dismissal in my book.

And I'm with you on Zimmer, besides Flores that's the firing that puzzled me.

I always try to shy away from hammering on coaching decisions like that because it's always dependent on the results. But if you want to coach that aggressive, then you better have a better plan to execute.

Kirk didn't like that?

Also, can't wait for the Vikings to hire a "players coach" and then in 3 years fire him and search for someone with more discipline.

Forget Kirk, he’s a bum. Other players, namely Justin Jefferson, have had subliminal messaging all season long.

There's definitely a divide between today's player and old school coaches. Even Bill Belichick has tweaked his approach a tad on some things, realizing you can't treat today's 22 year olds the way you treated players a generation (or more) ago. Problem is when does it go from having some leeway to letting the inmates run the asylum and the team ends up with no discipline/structure and can't win?

Tricky line to walk.

If I owned the Ravens, I'd have fired Harbaugh for those stupid decisions.
The first time he did it against Pittsburgh, Jackson was playing.
You have the greatest kicker in NFL history, tie the game and take your chances in OT.
Same thing against the Pack, even though you didn't have Jackson. If you win the coin flip, you probably win the game, I mean Huntley had just led 2 TD drives late in the 4th Q.
Doing it once is cause for a talking to, doing it twice is grounds for dismissal in my book.

And I'm with you on Zimmer, besides Flores that's the firing that puzzled me.

It's the doing it twice for me as well. He had so much more time in the Packers game, too. For whatever reason, that really sat with me as strange.

There's definitely a divide between today's player and old school coaches. Even Bill Belichick has tweaked his approach a tad on some things, realizing you can't treat today's 22 year olds the way you treated players a generation (or more) ago. Problem is when does it go from having some leeway to letting the inmates run the asylum and the team ends up with no discipline/structure and can't win?

Tricky line to walk.

I get that they pay the players a lot of money to play on the team and they want them happy...but don't they want to win championships? The player coaches don't seem to be doing very well overall. At least to my quick recollection. There maybe someone I'm not thinking of.

I get that they pay the players a lot of money to play on the team and they want them happy...but don't they want to win championships?

Unfortunately, there seems to be a good chunk of players (not just football, across all sports) who really don't care that much about winning so long as they are getting paid. As a fan, you want the players on your team to have that desire to win that guys like Brady and Jordan are blessed with, you don't want the guys who only care about their own stats and their next contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom