NFL Thread III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lbinoVY.jpg

So that 2016 draft...2 QB's taken 1 and 2, both given huge contract extensions, both traded this offseason.
One had to include 2 first rounders with him to get the deal done with his albatross contract, the other leaves a 33mil dead cap hit and netted a 3rd and a 2nd (unless Harry stays healthy for once then that upgrades to a first, but let's not kid ourselves).

Blake Bortles and Jameis Winston went 1 and 2 in two consecutive years and are both 3rd strong at this point.

Both showed incredible promise after their first two seasons. Neither got massive contracts. Gotta imagine the main difference is that Wentz and Goff led their teams to the super bowl.

Blake Bortles and Jameis Winston went 1 and 2 in two consecutive years and are both 3rd strong at this point.

Both showed incredible promise after their first two seasons. Neither got massive contracts. Gotta imagine the main difference is that Wentz and Goff led their teams to the super bowl.

when did wentz lead a team to the super bowl?

Omg you know what I mean don’t be like that

sure but there's a pretty massive gap between "led his team to the super bowl" and "has never won a playoff game because he can't stay healthy long enough". that puts carson way more in the winston category, not the goff category. (edited to remove bortles, cause that guy actually won two playoff games)

Last edited:
sure but there's a pretty massive gap between "led his team to the super bowl" and "has never won a playoff game because he can't stay healthy long enough". that puts carson way more in the winston category, not the goff category. (edited to remove bortles, cause that guy actually won two playoff games)

Repeated 100+ QBR seasons. He was, for a brief moment in time, considered a top 5 QB.

Are the Eagles eating any of that ludicrous contract? I feel like the Colts could do better than settle for a Wentz reclamation project. But hey, a 2nd and a 3rd is pretty good, and there's potential it could be a steal.

Last edited:
i'm always hesitant to think i understand anything about NFL contracts but it sounds like to the colts are taking on the entire balance of the contract, including the bonus due next month.

Are the Eagles eating any of that ludicrous contract? I feel like the Colts could do better than settle for a Wentz reclamation project. But hey, a 2nd and a 3rd is pretty good, and there's potential it could be a steal.
Yes, in the sense that the contract was pretty signing bonus heavy, and the signing bonus is always paid out by the signing team. The Eagles are eating the largest dead cap hit in history ($33.8 million) in 2021. For the Colts, I believe it's functionally a 2-year deal totaling $47 million.

Yes, in the sense that the contract was pretty signing bonus heavy, and the signing bonus is always paid out by the signing team. The Eagles are eating the largest dead cap hit in history ($33.8 million) in 2021. For the Colts, I believe it's functionally a 2-year deal totaling $47 million.

$33 million? Fucking hell.

The Colts' OL is good at least...better than what Wentz had before...I dunno, maybe he ends up having a great year and it works out fine for everyone. Philly can get Jalen some help with those picks.

Wentz's 2019 season is probably what he is now: above average in raw talent but flawed ... injury prone, frustrating as hell because he plays himself into sacks and turnovers by having poor pocket awareness. I don't think he's a very bright guy.

For the Eagles, 2021 was going to be a nightmare anyway because they were already in cap hell ($70 million over the cap coming into the offseason), so with the uncertainty around Wentz and a lost season coming up anyway, it made sense to cut bait now and take their medicine on all their financial woes. They're gonna have to make a bunch of trades and cut some guys. Jeffery and Jackson are the easy ones. They'll have to trade Ertz, and possibly Lane Johnson. Kelce might retire, Peters almost certainly will. Malik Jackson will be gone. They could trade Fletcher Cox or Brandon Graham. There's a lot that has to happen to get under the number, and they won't be free agent players due to their cap woes.

I'd be more optimistic with good draft picks coming in 2021 and 2022 (since they'll be fucking terrible this season) if they weren't running it back with the same front office that got them here in the first place. Howie Roseman and Jeffrey Lurie are terrible at the draft. JJ Arcega-Whiteside over DK Metcalf and Jalen Reagor over Justin Jefferson in back-to-back years has driven me insane. It's not hindsight telling us that they were bad picks; they were bad picks the moment they happened. Every Eagles fan I know wanted Jefferson there.

The biggest long-term issues I see with Wentz are mental. Not even having the yips from countless sacks and QB hits due to a substandard OL these past two seasons, not even a rather slow processing speed, but his attitude in general. Very defensive, domineering and presumptuous. It was transparent how threatened he felt having another QB play well in his presence, as with Foles. Philly's playoff success with him on the bench exposed some rather serious unforeseen character issues.

Between Jalen Reagor and Josh Doctson, it doesn't seem that TCU has been the place for pro WR prospects. Reagor could still be really good, but I don't see a way he lives up to his pick with the possibility of Jefferson sitting there.

Well, Bortles was drafted #3, not 2, and as you pointed out they were drafted in consecutive seasons, not the same season.

So a better comparison would be Winston and Mariotta (which I know takes away your UCF connection) who went 1 and 2 in 2015, and are both no longer on their drafted team and are currently back ups.
Big difference is neither Winston nor Mariotta got the huge contract extension whereas both Goff and Wentz did, but their teams still moved on from them after such massive financial investment.

I always compare the two naturally because I watched the both of them closely, and always forget Mariotta even exists for the opposite reason.

Excited that Aaron Jones is staying in GB. He is one of my favorite players to come out over the last 10 years. Packers should be good enough to lose in the NFC Championship again this year! :hyper:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom