NFL Thread II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
His apology was not about the content of his message, it was only that he mistimed it. I agree with Malcolm Jenkins: Brees needs to learn to shut the fuck up about shit he doesn't understand. Let's not coddle a white, multi-millionaire athlete here. He can be educated, while also being heavily criticized for being a tone deaf asshole.

These situations don't resolve themselves by trying to be patient with white people in order to avoid "creating resentment." Anything that threatens the social order that places the anxieties of white people at the top will create resentment.

I'm not saying that we coddle Drew Brees. But I'd say this is by far the biggest PR nightmare that he suffered, and if we're a society that refuses to accept apologies and also have an open mind towards people who maybe don't get it yet and try to help them through it, then that will stunt progress as well.

My dad for example. Amazing person. Kind person. Told race jokes when I was growing up. It was his upbringing. He's now a grandfather to an Ethiopian child. It took years for him to wipe his brain of those thoughts, even though he doesn't have hate in his heart. But I can guarantee him this. If he suddenly had thousands of people calling him a horrible person 15-20 years ago, he would not have responded favorably and probably would have had resentment and closed him off from any ability to learn anything from it.

Of course people can change. I think there is little hope if we don't believe people can change. But your dad is not a public figure, and Drew Brees' apology is not one that makes me think he's particularly interested in learning and growing.

Of course people can change. I think there is little hope if we don't believe people can change. But your dad is not a public figure, and Drew Brees' apology is not one that makes me think he's particularly interested in learning and growing.

It'll be interesting to see what comes of it, if Brees says more about the subject. Especially during the season as I think there will be a ton of kneeling/locking arms.

Did anyone see that “Bunk” from The Wire tore Brees a new asshole?

[TWEET]1268310098553823233[/TWEET]

The thread goes on for a while. Thorough smackdown.

It'll be interesting to see what comes of it, if Brees says more about the subject. Especially during the season as I think there will be a ton of kneeling/locking arms.
Having Jenkins on his team will give him every opportunity to learn how to navigate this. Brees should be compared at every turn to Chris Long, who was an excellent example of what white athletes should do. He showed support for Jenkins and his other black teammates without making it about him. He donated a full year's salary to Charlottesville schools after the white supremacist murder there. And he shows a genuine interest in learning how he can help important causes, listening when he needs to listen and amplifying the right voices.

doln56or2s351.jpg

i've been one of the biggest proponents for his getting a fair shot at a return to the NFL, and i understand the symbolism if it were to happen, but if my team was in the market for a backup QB and signed colin kaepernick when cam newton and jameis winston are both free agents i'd be absolutely livid.

I kind of expect them to kick the tires on Cam Newton once he can travel and take physicals, I don't think they believe Stidham is ready at this point.

Tires kicked, appear to be fully inflated.
We'll see what he has left/how healthy he is.
At least gets my interest level back up.

Lmao yeah I’m not sure what they have to “think” about right now. Just come out and say “we are launching a search for a new name and Dan is a piece of shit.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom