NFL part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No mistake about it, Cobb's for real

This was an interesting read. While I was super impressed with Cobb, it does make you wonder if he'll play that way all season or if this was just one lucky game.

Obviously the talent is there, but I think it will come down to opportunities. Cobb may be sitting at #5 on the depth chart for a while, with Driver, Jennings, Jones and Nelson being excellent, more established wideouts. And the new kickoff rules will certainly take away more than a few returns.

Plaxico Burress fires shots at more than himself in an explosive interview to be published next week.

The Jets wide receiver blasts Giants coach Tom Coughlin and quarterback Eli Manning as well as the team’s management, fans who celebrated his incarceration and New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg in the October issue of Men’s Journal, which hits newsstands on Sept. 16.

Burress’ biggest target is Coughlin, the coach he butted heads with for four years with the Giants. When Burress shot himself accidentally in the leg in November 2008, he said Coughlin showed no concern.

“After my situation happened, I turned on the TV, and the first words out his mouth was ‘sad and disappointing,’ ” Burress said. “I’m like, forget support — how about some concern? I did just have a bullet in my leg. And then I sat in his office, and he pushed back his chair and goes, ‘I’m glad you didn’t kill anybody!’ Man, we’re paid too much to be treated like kids. He doesn’t realize that we’re grown men and actually have kids of our own.”

The 34-year-old said Coughlin’s style rubs players the wrong way.

“He’s not a real positive coach,” Burress said. “You look around the league, the Raheem Morrises and Rex Ryans — when their player makes a mistake, they take ’em to the side and say, ‘We’ll get ’em next time.’ But Coughlin’s on the sideline going crazy, man. I can’t remember one time when he tried to talk a player through not having a day he was having.”

The interview was done shortly after Burress was released from prison in June after serving nearly two years on weapons charges. Since then, he met with Coughlin and other members of the Giants during a visit to their offices in July when he was a free agent. Burress signed a one-year, $3.017 million with the Jets days later.

Judging from his remarks to Men’s Journal, it seems like any reunion between Burress and the Giants was never really going to happen. He said he was saddened by the way Manning treated him when he was in prison.

“I was always his biggest supporter, even days he wasn’t on, ’cause I could sense he didn’t have thick skin,” Burress said. “Then I went away, and I thought he would come see me, but nothing, not a letter, in two years. I don’t want to say it was a slap in the face, but I thought our relationship was better than that.”

Burress will always have a place in Giants history for his game-winning catch in Super Bowl XLII, but he does not have fond memories of how he was treated that season when he dealt with injuries that prevented him from practicing.

“It was hurtful that they didn’t have the courage [after the season] to admit they told me not to practice all year,” Burress said. “They let the media tear me apart, saying I was dogging practice, that I wasn’t a team player, all this [stuff]. The players thought I was pissing on ’em, and Coach Coughlin hated it because he was out of the loop: The orders came from upstairs. And meanwhile, he’s on the sideline cursing me out ’cause I got a ball punched out against Green Bay. I just stared at him like, ‘Are you out of your [bleeping] mind? I got a separated shoulder and can’t run!’ ”

Burress said he was treated like an “axe murderer” in prison, confined to a 23-hour lockdown. In prison, he said he received cruel letters.

“I was a human pincushion; they were like, ‘Yeah, we finally got you, mother[bleeper!]’ “ he said. “On the cover of the New York Post, it said ‘GIANT IDIOT’! and I’m thinking, ‘Damn, I went and gave ’em what they wanted. I’m just another gun-toting, famous black athlete.’ ”

Burress taunts the fans who took pleasure in his confinement.

“What are you doing now?” he said. “You still mad at your job? You still angry about your life? ’Cause I’m back living my life and enjoying my family while you’re still doing the same thing.”

Burress also spoke about his feelings toward Bloomberg after the mayor publicly called for him to be harshly punished after the incident.

“The way Bloomberg treated me was totally wrong, stacked those charges so high I had to go to jail,” Burress said.

Read more: Burress takes direct aim at Coughlin, Manning and fans - NYPOST.com

ugh

He is indeed doing "the same thing."

Maybe next time he'll actually shoot himself in the dick.

Offseason Workouts - 0
No Offseason Workouts - 1

i hope Teddy Bruschi eats his words on NFL Live today for ripping Rodgers for being a bad leader and saying that the Packers aren't hungry.

Teddy Bruschi doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

I didn't see where he was ripping Rodgers; he just said he was surprised that the Packers didn't get together for any player-led activities over the summer, unless I missed something.

Bruschi is actually not bad for a former NFL player turned analyst.

Bruschi is actually not bad for a former NFL player turned analyst.

You're right, actually. That's just my sloppy, pent-up anger towards players and analysts ripping the Pack for not organizing the silly offseason pow-wows that accomplished very little, if anything.

Good players know that if they don't keep themselves in shape, there's always someone waiting to take their job. If you need Drew Brees to fly you in to remind you about that, then you're in trouble.

Cobb is the first player born in the 90s to play in the NFL.

Makes you all feel old, doesn't it

WB's and receivers can work on route running and timing patterns on their own.

defenses can't work on schemes by themselves.

established throwing offenses should have a field day for a few weeks.

You gonna bet the over on every game involving two passing teams through the first few weeks?

You're right, actually. That's just my sloppy, pent-up anger towards players and analysts ripping the Pack for not organizing the silly offseason pow-wows that accomplished very little, if anything.

Why feel anger? You guys are the fucking champions and are dominating yet again in spite of light criticism; most see you repeating. Haters are hilarious from where you sit.

20 years of being a media laughingstock thanks to a revolving door of quarterbacks, poor/nonexistent management, and mediocre results that not even the fans' dream coach could significantly alter is something worth being angry about.

I'm looking forward to Sunday, honest.

I Move in Mysterious Ways said:
Jim Mora taught me well. And so did Plaxico.

Wait, Lemon, who's you team again?

Redskins. Could have just as easily been the Bears, although it's been 25 years since they've won a Super Bowl. :wink:

Ah. Well, maybe they'll sign Garrard. :D

Shanahan's a good coach, but I have no idea what his strategy for the team is. Of course, I was among they chorus of voices critical of Thompson and McCarthy a couple years ago, so what do I know?

Shanahan builds his teams around quarterbacks, so I don't know where that leaves us. I would prefer we build up our ragged o-line instead, but I don't have two Super Bowl rings.

To be honest, I haven't watched Rex play in a long time. I suppose there's always the possibility he's turned a corner. But, yeah, Washington is among the teams I'm shocked did not make a play for a QB in the offseason (Miami, Seattle, Buffalo, and San Francisco being the others).

It's hilarious how the Patriots have 13 players questionable for Monday night's game, yet except for Vollmer, all of them have practiced this week.

Belichick loves that injury report. I like the addition of Haynesworth due to an "illness" today - nice touch.

We should place bets on how long it will be before Brady shows up on it.

It's hilarious how the Patriots have 13 players questionable for Monday night's game, yet except for Vollmer, all of them have practiced this week.

Belichick loves that injury report. I like the addition of Haynesworth due to an "illness" today - nice touch.

We should place bets on how long it will be before Brady shows up on it.

Hasn't Brady been listed as probable (shoulder) for the last 100 starts or so?

Wow Buffalo is destroying Kansas City. Big upset, I figured that game would be very close with KC coming out on top.

Also, watching the Ravens destroy the Steelers is quite fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom