NFL part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great shots, Headache!

My parents said someone NFL-related will be uploading pictures somewhere and putting up a link - not sure if it's on one of those sites or something completely unrelated.

I Move in Mysterious Ways said:
Fans are suing the league for the seating screwup. Good for them.

Meh, it really was mostly the host committee and jerry jones' fault.

Many league employees, who are facing pay cuts, furlough, and ultimately termination with this looming lockout, gave up their tickets at the last minute to help accommodate these fans who were displaced.

Ultimately, yes- the buck stops with the league, and goodell has fallen on his sword and taken all responsibility. But let's just put it this way... jerry spent a ton of money on that stadium largely to have events like this.

He better get a lot of final fours, cause the league and owners aren't going to award him another super bowl for a long, long time.

cobl04 said:
I heard they were getting triple refunds?

They have a choice

A) triple refunds and tickets to next years super bowl, which they will be free to sell on the open market

or

B) tickets to any future super bowl, all expenses paid, and they can decide what game to go to after the conference championship game of that particular year so that they can see if their favorite team is in the game. This one is nine transferible.

Plus every fan got the option to be in the bowl for the game with standing room tickets. Those who sat in the club did so by choice. And they got to go on the field for the post game celebration.

They have a choice

A) triple refunds and tickets to next years super bowl, which they will be free to sell on the open market

or

B) tickets to any future super bowl, all expenses paid, and they can decide what game to go to after the conference championship game of that particular year so that they can see if their favorite team is in the game. This one is nine transferible.

Plus every fan got the option to be in the bowl for the game with standing room tickets. Those who sat in the club did so by choice. And they got to go on the field for the post game celebration.

well i know there is no replacement for the heartbreak of having a sports final ticket and it not working, particularly if your team is involved, but that sounds like a pretty fucking sweet deal to me.

Mikal, did you go to the celebration at Lambeau yesterday? That would have been awesome, although it was so stinking cold. Unsurprisingly, the place was full of fans.

At the Milwaukee airport on Monday, every other person was decked out in Packer gear. My relatives who had flown in earlier said that pretty much everything was closed on Sunday. One place they went had a sign on the door with a picture of the state with the word CLOSED stamped across it. Hee!

My parents had a great time, and they got some cool pictures. And really nice Super Bowl jackets! One of my cousins claims she saw my dad on the sidelines on TV, but I missed him.

unfortunately i wasn't able to. i had an important conference call at work i had to take part in. luckily i was able to see the fireworks on my way home on the highway, so driving back from Appleton to Green Bay was pretty cool, lol!

Just a few thoughts on what the Pack needs to do to remain a contender next season:

*Fire ST coach Sean Slocum. Hard to justify when you just won the Super Bowl, but this guy's unit is subpar (to put it nicely), and he's clearly the weak link in an otherwise excellent coaching staff. Their kickoff and punt coverage ranges from adequate to atrocious, and the return game in non-existant.

*Give Starks a shot at starting. Ryan Grant is a good player, but his numbers are misleading. While he's much better than Brandon Jackson (who started most of the season), he's not as explosive as Starks, and there were plenty of games in 08 and 09 where he was essentially a non-factor.

*Keep James Jones if Driver retires, otherwise let him go. He had the biggest drop of his career (potential 75 yard TD) in the Super Bowl on a perfect pass. He did the same thing against Philly. I like him, but I doubt Green Bay will overpay for someone who's unreliable.

*Keep AJ Hawk, get rid of Nick Barnett. Hawk upped his game this year. Barnett has been on the decline the past couple years and can't stay healthy. Plus he's a bit of an ass, as we've learned the past few weeks.

*Cut loose the dead weight - Donald Lee, Justin Harrell, Atari Bigby.

Just a few thoughts on what the Pack needs to do to remain a contender next season:

*Fire ST coach Sean Slocum. Hard to justify when you just won the Super Bowl, but this guy's unit is subpar (to put it nicely), and he's clearly the weak link in an otherwise excellent coaching staff. Their kickoff and punt coverage ranges from adequate to atrocious, and the return game in non-existant.

*Give Starks a shot at starting. Ryan Grant is a good player, but his numbers are misleading. While he's much better than Brandon Jackson (who started most of the season), he's not as explosive as Starks, and there were plenty of games in 08 and 09 where he was essentially a non-factor.

*Keep James Jones if Driver retires, otherwise let him go. He had the biggest drop of his career (potential 75 yard TD) in the Super Bowl on a perfect pass. He did the same thing against Philly. I like him, but I doubt Green Bay will overpay for someone who's unreliable.

*Keep AJ Hawk, get rid of Nick Barnett. Hawk upped his game this year. Barnett has been on the decline the past couple years and can't stay healthy. Plus he's a bit of an ass, as we've learned the past few weeks.

*Cut loose the dead weight - Donald Lee, Justin Harrell, Atari Bigby.

-i think the improved Special Teams in the playoffs (they shut down Hester twice and Desean Jackson) has earned Slocum one more year. the injuries made it tought to ever have a steady Special Teams squad as well. what we need is a KR/PR threat.

- with Grant and Starks, i think the Pack can play the hot hand all year. i could see Grant having 100 yards one week, and then Starks the next. this 1-2 punch could make the Packers' offense even more lethal next year.

- Driver is returning. i'd still like to see Jones come back, but it's not a huge loss if he doesn't, especially with Finley returning and the emergence of Jordy Nelson. i'd also expect Thompson to draft a WR this year.

- i agree. restructure Hawk's contract. the only thing holding this up is that Hawk is due 10 million next season, so they need to work out an extension. Barnett can go somewhere else with his Twitter account.

-i think the improved Special Teams in the playoffs (they shut down Hester twice and Desean Jackson) has earned Slocum one more year. the injuries made it tought to ever have a steady Special Teams squad as well. what we need is a KR/PR threat.

- with Grant and Starks, i think the Pack can play the hot hand all year. i could see Grant having 100 yards one week, and then Starks the next. this 1-2 punch could make the Packers' offense even more lethal next year.

- Driver is returning. i'd still like to see Jones come back, but it's not a huge loss if he doesn't, especially with Finley returning and the emergence of Jordy Nelson. i'd also expect Thompson to draft a WR this year.

- i agree. restructure Hawk's contract. the only thing holding this up is that Hawk is due 10 million next season, so they need to work out an extension. Barnett can go somewhere else with his Twitter account.

Grant and Starks sharing time might make for a very good running game - two very different styles. I'd keep Jackson only if you can get him cheap. He's purely a third down back, but he's good on passing plays.

I don't know - you're right that ST is improved, but think about the return by Weems in Atlanta and the fumble by Williams in Dallas.. It seemed like they just survived the playoffs. I can easily see ST being the reason the Pack falls short next year.

Barnett seemed to be whining about Bishop's extension (via Twitter) a couple weeks back. Too bad. The position was played better by Bishop this year. He's younger and eager to be the starter for years to come. Nick can pick up his game if he wants playing time next year - or to even be on the roster.

Green Bay should be able to address this in the draft. They've been a very good evaluator of talent over the years.

I don't think you really want to draft a return man specifically. If you find the WR/RB/DB you want and he also has experience returning kicks, then go for it, but it's pretty hard to spot the next Desean Jackson or Devin Hester.

Coaching and getting good blockers on the kick teams probably matter more if Ellis Hobbs and Julian Edelman can score on returns.

DanConnolly.gif

I Move in Mysterious Ways said:

*Keep AJ Hawk

They should keep Aaron Rodgers too

On the highway from my hometown to Appleton (which is just south of Green Bay), there's a barn known for the Packer-related signs along it, in big white, block letters.

Now it says something to the effect of:

#12 is 3x #4

The funny thing is that for quite some time, even after Favre grew more and more hated in Wisconsin, it said something like #4 Always In Our Hearts.

Guess he finally changed his mind.

On the highway from my hometown to Appleton (which is just south of Green Bay), there's a barn known for the Packer-related signs along it, in big white, block letters.

#12 is 3x #4

The funny thing is that for quite some time, even after Favre grew more and more hated in Wisconsin, it said something like #4 Always In Our Hearts.

There was a story about that on the news yesterday :)

#12 is 3x #4

Yeah, ESPN did a little piece on that a few days ago.

mjs-barn_2.jpg

ept_sports_nfl_experts-970591068-1297267158.jpg

Wish I could remember which station . . .

I'll be meeting John Kuhn tonight. My goal is to convince him to sign a photo of me in a gorilla suit and cheesehead sitting at Soldier Field.

New England makes Logan Mankins the first franchise player of this offseason.

I'm sure that'll go over well with him :madwife:

New England makes Logan Mankins the first franchise player of this offseason.

I'm sure that'll go over well with him :madwife:

I'm a bit oblivious to this situation - what's Mankins' problem with the Pats? Not enough money? He's a millionaire playing on an awesome team. Life must really suck.

I'm a bit oblivious to this situation - what's Mankins' problem with the Pats? Not enough money?

Yeah, pretty much. Belichick is fairly selective on who gets long term deals. The latest few examples being stars like Asante Samuel, Richard Seymour, and Moss, who weren't extended. And when they brought in Adalius Thomas for big money, which was out of character for the team, that didn't turn out well.

But like you said, Mankins should be happy to be an important piece on a great team, and the tag is worth around $10 million for an O-lineman.

At least he isn't as thoroughly loathesome as Albert Haynesworth or Carson Palmer, both of whom are high profile whiners despite being severely overpaid for generally disappointing performances.

Not loathesome, but he did hold out seven games last year.

I have a little sympathy for Palmer wanting out of the Cincinnati debacle. But just a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom