NFL part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, before that happened, I came over here to ask - is Boz Scaggs from Pittsburgh or something? I figure that's why they picked that song for that little lead-in.

Too bad Green Bay doesn't have a musical artist to bring to the table.

What was the unsportsmanlike conduct call? I didn't understand the explanation.

I thought they came out to "Right Here, Right Now" by Fatboy Slim, was I not hearing right? My uncle didn't have the volume up very loud at the beginning of the game.

Second, he really didn't deserve the MVP (but I guess who did? Jennings? Whoever got the pick-6?).

They should have given it to Mike Tomlin for nearly coaching Pitt to a win and putting on a rousing halftime performance. (And rehearsing for the next episode of House during the commercials)
mike_tomlin-pointing.jpg

am_crop_358x243.jpg

Rodgers' line for the day: 24/39, 304 yds, 3 TD, 0 TDs

Over 60 % completion
3TDs
No picks
No fumbles
>300 yds

Totally deserves the MVP

Him or Clay Matthews

Clay Matthews...3 tackles? Not even close to an MVP performance, made one good hit to force a fumble.
Dude was whiffing on Mendenhall for 2.5 quarters.
The only other candidates besides Rodgers were Nelson (Who might have won it if not for the big drop on the pass over the middle, would have had him at like 165-170 yards), and possibly Jennings with the 2 TD's.

So I just tried to order a bacon egg and cheese on a roll from this guy at whatever chain restaurant is in the DFW delta terminal, and was given a blank stare followed by "on a biscuit?" to which I replied no, a roll, to which he replied "I got a bun, is that what you mean by a roll?" which then qued the you've got to be fucking kidding me look from myself, which was followed by him with "I dunno what a roll ieeeees" to which I said "just give me the bun."

Apparently the world wide phenomena known as the roll has yet to reach north texas.

As for the game...

Rodgers was clearly the mvp, and I don't know why we're even discussing it. Nobody else stood out. Jordy Nelson probably could have made a case for himself if he didn't have a case of the stone hands.

I hate the black eyed peas, but they were great in person. I got to watch the replay back at the hotel and was very surprised how bad it looked and sounded. The mic did not cut out like that in the building, and the mix was not that bad. Plus it was much more visually impressive in person... the close up shots and quick edits ruined it... not surprising, considering the show was produced by hammish hamilton, he who fucked up the vertigo chicago dvd.

Overall? North Texas wont get another super bowl for a long, long time. They fucked up sooooooo much; from being utterly unprepared for the snow and ice (you would have thought they'd learned their lesson when it snowed at the nba all star game)... to the fiasco that was jerry world force feeding people into every nook and craney of that building, leading to an embarrassing situation where sections had to be closed down cause they weren't properly completed. About 400 people had to watch the game on tv. Many NFL employees had to give up their tickets to accommodate fans whose sections were closed down... finding out that they couldn't use their tickets 2 hours before kickoff. It was a surreal thing to watch unfold.

I'll post some pictures later from inside the stadium, including some just comical sections that were set up to cram people in where you can barely see the field.

As if I needed any other reason to dislike jerry jones...

As for the stadium? When I took the tour of it on Wednesday I was blown away. Actually watching a game there? Meh...

The giant massive huuuuuuuge overcompensation for jerry's small dick video screen? Too big. Way too big. It takes away from the game. You find yourself watching on TV the entire time instead of watching the field.

Anyhoo... I still have an hour and a half till my flight and im bored.

With my luck i'll end up next to a foot tapping a-rod...

Speaking of, they showed a-rod on the jerryhasasmallpenis-vision... they'd go to all the celebs and shoe them with their names on the screen... we had harrison ford and colista flockhart (sp?), ashton kutcher and demi Moore... and then when cameron and a-rod popped up, they conveniently left a-rod's name off the screen.

Oh... and texas? They loves them some george W.

He hardly took control over the game though... one of the TDs was practically handed to him by his defense/Roethlisberger. Could've put that game away a long, long time ago. Didn't.

The only thing that I feel that Rodgers did was not screw up. Dont get me wrong, he did great. It was just an overall team effort, and Rodgers kinda just won by default because it was so well spread between the team.

Take away slew of drops, and Rodgers has 400+ yards and 4 or 5 TDs. Jones blew a huge play on a perfect pass, and Nelson had how many drops?

Take away a few turnovers and Rodgers has 1 TD and 250 yards. Really can't make that argument.

And if Rodgers gets taken out by a wild boar before the game, he has 0 yards and 0 TDs.

Regardless, 300 Yards and 3 TDs with no turnovers against the league's # 1 defense on the biggest stage possible sounds like an MVP performance to me.

I see Lucky's point though. The defense came ready to play and survived huge injuries to Woodson and (for a while) Shields that could have been disastrous. Matthews came through with a huge forced fumble. Collins had the biggest pick of his career. Jarret Bush usually sucks in coverage but had a key interception, and almost another one to end the game. Jennings made at least 3 big catches, two for touchdowns. Starks looked pretty good when he actually got the ball (blocking was another story though).

Seems fitting that the Packers lose two of their biggest stars in the biggest game of the year and still find a way to win.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
Rodgers was clearly the mvp, and I don't know why we're even discussing it. Nobody else stood out. Jordy Nelson probably could have made a case for himself if he didn't have a case of the stone hands.

I hate the black eyed peas, but they were great in person. I got to watch the replay back at the hotel and was very surprised how bad it looked and sounded.

I agree with both...

if grandma had balls she'd be grandpa.

i don't know what this argument is about really... he was clearly the only player who stood out. i agree it wasn't the best... super bowl quarterback performance... ever...

but yea, he's the clear mvp choice. if not him, who?

in air wifi :hi5:

That's pretty much the conclusion I've come to after initially questioning it. Some people (not anyone in particular on these boards) have been trying to tell me he had a 'perfect' game. Take it for what it's worth though, because statistics never tell the whole story.

Take it for what it's worth though, because statistics never tell the whole story.

True - Namath in SB 3 or Bradshaw in SB 14 (three picks!) are good examples. On the other hand, you have performances like Steve Young (6 touchdowns) and Phil Simms (153 QB rating in an almost perfect game) that are often overlooked today because they were lopsided victories against inferior teams.

A couple of thoughts here...good game overall...for the Packers anyway. Pittsburgh had one really good drive in the first half and then a good second half. But it wasn't enough....no redemption for Roethlisberger i suppose.

Rogers is the clear choice for MVP, no question at all. He did what he did despite injuries and key drops by young WR's.

Mikal spoke very highly of Rogers last year in this forum, and he was correct. Look for this team to contend for several years to come.

As a Cowboy fan, i can say that Cowboys Stadium is an amazing piece of work, inside and out. However, the seating fiasco bothers even me. Of all the celebs that were able to make their way into Dallas for the game, yet JJ couldn't even get a local fire marshall into the stadium to buy off on the extra seats he had installed? WTF!

As for the city of Dallas not being fully prepared for the weather, im not sure im in agreement with that. True they might not have been adequately prepared, however, its not like they get this type of thing very often in Texas. I live 200 miles away from Dallas, give or take, and i can tell you that weather in this part of the world is very very unpredictable. The snowstorm / icestorm in Dallas last week also hit us really hard a week ago. We received 13" of snow in one day, which is pretty unusual for where i live. Further northeast in Tulsa they had 21". They predicted we would get a storm, but they really had no idea how big it was going to be until less than 24 hours prior. Dallas is typically a bit warmer than OKC, so for them to get a big snowstorm in Feb is somewhat unusual. And since we live in the heart of tornado alley, honestly, we do have some of the best weathermen around.

The national anthem was just horrible, no other way around that. And the halftime show wasn't much better...honestly...ive seen the Black Eyed Peas open for u2 in Norman, and in person they were pretty good. Not as good as Muse in Dallas, but suprisingly good considering the Peas weren't exactly my cup of tease. Whomever did the sound/mixing for that didn't do a very good job. Fergie soundes like absolute shit, Slash was boring and uninspired, Usher disappeared rather quickly, the whole thing was absolute shit. Then again, aside from u2 and Prince, these halftime shows usually are.

Anyway, Congrats Packers fans. :beer:

Rogers is the clear choice for MVP, no question at all. He did what he did despite injuries and key drops by young WR's.

Mikal spoke very highly of Rogers last year in this forum, and he was correct. Look for this team to contend for several years to come.

yep. i had the fortunate opportunity of having a night job, allowing me to watch the Packers training camp in 2007, Favre's last year with the team and Rodger's 3rd year. Rodger's leap from his 2nd to 3rd year was unbelievable. i've never seen a QB get the ball out so fast and with accuracy. he actually looked better than Favre in training camp. what made the decision in 2008 so heart wrenching is that the Packers were 1 play away from the Super Bowl in 2007. i think it worked out in our favor though.

yep. i had the fortunate opportunity of having a night job, allowing me to watch the Packers training camp in 2007, Favre's last year with the team and Rodger's 3rd year. Rodger's leap from his 2nd to 3rd year was unbelievable. i've never seen a QB get the ball out so fast and with accuracy. he actually looked better than Favre in training camp. what made the decision in 2008 so heart wrenching is that the Packers were 1 play away from the Super Bowl in 2007. i think it worked out in our favor though.

tbh the packers were one play away from the super bowl in 2009 as well. had they beaten arizona i really think they were going well enough to hit the super bowl last year.

Rodgers was on Letterman last night, and Dave brought up Favre. Rodgers played it cool but then took a jab at Favre: "I was the one taking all the reps in the offseason, and he was the one taking all the reps during the regular season." :D

Didn't Letterman also take a jab at Favre with some type of "diva" reference? I was half asleep when this was on....

Also, i guess i have been spelling Rogers name wrong all of this time :doh:

Mikal, did you go to the celebration at Lambeau yesterday? That would have been awesome, although it was so stinking cold. Unsurprisingly, the place was full of fans.

At the Milwaukee airport on Monday, every other person was decked out in Packer gear. My relatives who had flown in earlier said that pretty much everything was closed on Sunday. One place they went had a sign on the door with a picture of the state with the word CLOSED stamped across it. Hee!

My parents had a great time, and they got some cool pictures. And really nice Super Bowl jackets! One of my cousins claims she saw my dad on the sidelines on TV, but I missed him.

Did you check out replayphotos.com (or the Packers Pro Shop) or nfl.com's photos to see if your parents made it into any of the shots?

BTW, Clay Matthews showed up on WWE Smackdown last night and got involved in the main event match. Several other Packers were sitting ringside as well. It'll air Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom