NBA Basketball 2008-09: The Thread Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice little Shuttle & Bum-era 'cock played at the commercial break.

Made me look up the album's lyrics on the official SC site. For old time's sake:

"You say you'll give me
A drop shot with no one near it
Treasure just to barely hear it
All the bitches in the stands"

That last line is a bit of a non-sequitur, but it really makes me laugh.

Are the networks contractually obligated to follow Kobe after the game all the way to the point where he kisses his wife?

It just seems so staged.

Was just watching George Karl's post-game conference. I only watched the game in fits and starts until the fourth quarter, but was the officiating particularly biased tonight? At least, compared to yesterday's game?

Well I think allegiance lies in your formative years, hence my love of all things DFW.

And I'm rooting Magic/Lakers. So fuck you, Peef.

Edit: I meant to quote that Philly bitch. Don't know why it didn't happen. I'm on my phone.

You mean the Sammy D elbow? Don't tell me you're siding with Skip Bayless on that one.

No, not that one. I was referring to the one from last night and the one where Joey Crawford thought Dwight was yelling at him, when it was directed at the Cavs bench right next to him.

Although getting a tech and suspension for one play is bit of overkill.

For me, growing up in central CT, I wasn't really close to anybody other than the Whalers. In CT people tend to pick the NY teams, or the Boston teams. There's really only one smart choice...if you're from CT, you're a New Englander, logic dictates you choose the Sox, Celts, Pats, and (now) Bruins. Wannabe New Yorkers = :down: :wink:

Now that we're in Florida my kids have a dilemma. We're from up north, but they're in Florida now. My daughter asked me the other day (she's 7) "Daddy, do I have to like the teams you like?" Me - "No Dajana, you can like the teams from up north or the Florida teams." She grins an evil grin "What about the Yankees?"

Of course if you have a local team and choose to bandwagon somebody else, you're a knob (Lebron).

What I want to know is, how does one become a Clippers fan? I mean seriously, the Lakers are right there...is it like making a life statement? Is there like an underground Clips counterculture? I seriously can't understand it.

The GREATkers are pretty impressive then Odom and Kung Pau play like they give a shit and have a sack, respectively.

they're better when kobe scores less and everybody else is involved. when kobe jacks up 30+ shots, they lose often. it's the last bastion of bitchness left in the kobster.

the lakers won last night without kobe scoring. that is why i give denver a puncher's chance in a game 7... if kobe decides to go on some macho one on five streak, jacking up double-teamed shots and forcing everything he touches to the rim (he has the tendency to force things, especially when colorado is involved) then the nuggets could pull it out... assuming they win game 6, of course.

chauncy billups saw this first hand before. it's how the pistons won their title.

if kobe decides to go on some macho one on five streak, jacking up double-teamed shots and forcing everything he touches to the rim (he has the tendency to force things, especially when colorado is involved)

It's been entirely too long since somebody pulled out this line. Kudos.

I don't know where else to put this but I'm watching the National Spelling Bee on ESPN right now and it's awesome.

What I want to know is, how does one become a Clippers fan? I mean seriously, the Lakers are right there...is it like making a life statement? Is there like an underground Clips counterculture? I seriously can't understand it.

I guess they're for locals who have some kind of irrational aversion to the Lakers, maybe?

Perhaps it's similar to why there are Angels fans.

Personally I think they should move the Clips to San Diego, where they can give them a new name and people might actually give a shit.

That's the same thing as Jets and Giants though, isn't it? They play in the same building which isn't even in New York. How do you decide that one?

At least Mets/Yankees and Sox/Cubs have territorial distinctions within the city.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I guess the Angels are for Orange County folk, which is in some ways the New Jersey of Los Angeles. Clippers...I don't know who the hell that team is for.

Okay, apparently the Clippers were originally in Buffalo as the Braves, and then moved to San Diego, became the Clips from 1978-84, and then came up here due to poor attendance. Makes more sense.

Strangely, their attendance numbers in Los Angeles aren't too bad, even when compared to the Lakers:

CLIPPERS
Year Total Avg
2006-07 755,261 18,421
2005-06 712,409 17,375
2004-05 696,181 16,980
2003-04 665,396 16,229
2002-03 706,471 17,231
2001-02 740,185 18,053

LAKERS
Year Total Avg
2006-07 778,415 18,985
2005-06 774,189 18,882
2004-05 770,494 18,792
2003-04 777,657 18,967
2002-03 777,788 18,970
2001-02 778,777 18,995

That's the same thing as Jets and Giants though, isn't it? They play in the same building which isn't even in New York. How do you decide that one?

At least Mets/Yankees and Sox/Cubs have territorial distinctions within the city.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I guess the Angels are for Orange County folk, which is in some ways the New Jersey of Los Angeles. Clippers...I don't know who the hell that team is for.

Okay, apparently the Clippers were originally in Buffalo as the Braves, and then moved to San Diego, became the Clips from 1978-84, and then came up here due to poor attendance. Makes more sense.

Strangely, their attendance numbers in Los Angeles aren't too bad, even when compared to the Lakers:

CLIPPERS
Year Total Avg
2006-07 755,261 18,421
2005-06 712,409 17,375
2004-05 696,181 16,980
2003-04 665,396 16,229
2002-03 706,471 17,231
2001-02 740,185 18,053

LAKERS
Year Total Avg
2006-07 778,415 18,985
2005-06 774,189 18,882
2004-05 770,494 18,792
2003-04 777,657 18,967
2002-03 777,788 18,970
2001-02 778,777 18,995

But what sets the Clips/Lakers thing apart from Giants/Jets or Yankees/Mets or whatever is the extent to which the Lakers and Clippers are polar opposites when it comes to NBA success. It would be cool if there was a rivalry, but there's not...it's like a rivalry between a hammer and a nail.

Big enough city + Lakers tickets, I'm guessing, are way more expensive/harder to come by? At least comparatively, quality of seat wise. If you're a big basketball fan first and foremost, I guess it might be a matter of paying $X to see the Lakers play San Antonio from Row ZZZ on Wednesday, when on Thursday you can pay half that to be twice as close to see the Clippers play Phoenix. Or whatever.

That's why they call him King James...

thanks, i was still trying to figure that one out. i thought it had something to do with the bible.

seriously though, i think it's great that we now anoint somebody as "king" and "chosen one" and that we are all "witness" to his greatness before he's even won a championship.

even jordan needed to win a ring before we declared him the best in the league, let alone of all time.

But what sets the Clips/Lakers thing apart from Giants/Jets or Yankees/Mets or whatever is the extent to which the Lakers and Clippers are polar opposites when it comes to NBA success. It would be cool if there was a rivalry, but there's not...it's like a rivalry between a hammer and a nail.

well...

frankly the only difference between the jets and the clippers is that the jets won a title 30 some odd years ago. other than that the two franchises have been fairly equal in their awfulness.

the mets have also been pathetic, but they've managed to be good and pathetic at the same time.. certainly different than the clippers.

so the jets are the clippers to the giants lakers, while the mets are more like the red sox to the yankees, um, yankees. well, at least the pre-2004 versions.

and there's really no geographic falling of fans for either team... it's more of a generational thing.

the jets used to have a slight hold on long island based that their practice facilities were at Hofstra while the Giants were up in Albany, and parents could take their kids to see pre-season workouts and all that... but the Jets and Giants will now both hold pre-season in Jersey as part of the deal with the new stadium, meaning both teams fans will now be decided upon generational (where the giants have a clear edge) and performance (ditto).

well done, Jets. well done, indeed.

thanks, i was still trying to figure that one out. i thought it had something to do with the bible.

seriously though, i think it's great that we now anoint somebody as "king" and "chosen one" and that we are all "witness" to his greatness before he's even won a championship.

even jordan needed to win a ring before we declared him the best in the league, let alone of all time.

Headache-

Over the years I have come to respect your sports knowledge especially when it comes to basketball but championship or not, LeBron James is the best basketball player on the planet. Doesn't play on the best team but still just a better basketball player than the rest. And yes, that does include Kobe.

The whole "king," "chosen one" and "witness" crap is the sports media doing what they do best....blowing everything thing way out of proportion. James' PR machine is also to blame for it. I agree with you and think it's so stupid myself. Yet, James, at 24, is just an amazing talent. And the scary thing is, he will get better. He will get better as a Knick but that's another conversation. If you don't believe in James' game, go ahead and re-watch the fourth quarter from last night's game.

Hope all is well and Go Cavs!

m
e

Back
Top Bottom