NBA Basketball 2008-09: The Thread Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sarcasm_detector.jpg

It was sarcasm.

This much I got. But sarcasm in reference to what, exactly? I'm sorry, I'm really not trying to be dense here, but I can't for the life of me figure out what your meaning was in saying that.

I'm sure it's as simple as it gets and I'll feel right stupid once I "get it". :wink:

I'm amazed they won with Kobe going 11 for 30-something. And they still underused Gasol as a shooter, though the guy played like he didn't mind at all. Impressive.

What's awesome is that you had a young guy (Ariza) and a veteran (Fisher) delivering big time. That 3-pointer at the end of regulation is going in the annals of Laker history, made even sweeter by the one he made in OT.

I was going to question the naming of Kobe as Player of the Game, but he deserves it for that shot to the face of Mr. Mouthpiece alone.

Great game, I'll be very surprised if this doesn't go back to Los Angeles.

What a game!!! Fisher makes that three to send it to OT! Gasol, Bryant, Odom, Ariza! (and the rest) :applaud:

I left at the beginning of the third to pick up dinner. I listened on the radio, and heard Kobe smashed his finger or something, and down by 7. I get back in the car, and they are up by 2!!!

I was going to question the naming of Kobe as Player of the Game, but he deserves it for that shot to the face of Mr. Mouthpiece alone.

Come on now. When Dahntey Jones tripped Kobe Bryant, you were all pissy about it. Be consistent in your reaction to dirty plays. :wink:

Make your free throws, Dwight. That game could've easily been wrapped up in regulation.

And Fisher's three to put them up 94-91 never should've counted, but I guess it's ok when shooting guards swing elbows?

Make your free throws, Dwight. That game could've easily been wrapped up in regulation.

And Fisher's three to put them up 94-91 never should've counted, but I guess it's ok when shooting guards swing elbows?

Blame Dwight for missing his shots, blame Van Gundy for not going to foul with a foul to give and making a ton of questionable coaching decisions tonight (pulling Lee around like a ragdoll, keeping Nelson in the game for way too long), blame the Magic for giving up a 12 point halftime lead, blame Rashard Lewis for barely showing up.

This was absolutely heartbreaking... the Lakers are by far the better team and probably deserve to win, but I hate those pack of fucks (except Trevor Ariza). A lot. Especially you, Pau Gasol, hold the damn ball when you've already got the game won with 3 seconds.

Sure, there were questionable calls, too. Shit's subjective, but it was either all Laker fouls, or all Magic fouls at one point or another. It seemed to favor L.A. down the stretch, but what can you do?

I'm not saying Kobe didn't make contact with Nelson, but there's no way to know how hard that was, he could have been overreacting to draw the foul.

That Jones trip was a lot more cut-and-dried.

Just in case anyone wondered about this guy;

goldstein_300.jpg

He was sitting 3 rows in front of me on the last Lakers game I attended and we all were like wtf? who is this guy? He was court side next to Penny Marshall.
I keep on seeing him in different playoff games and here's why;

"James F. Goldstein, (born in 1943) is a multi-millionaire "NBA superfan" who attends over one hundred NBA games each season (typically in courtside seats), including approximately 95 percent of home games for the Los Angeles Lakers and the Los Angeles Clippers. He also travels from city to city to catch games, especially during the NBA Playoffs (and not necessarily Lakers and Clippers playoff games). He also frequently attends post-game press conferences. His unique and flamboyant clothing makes him fairly easy to spot on television. His passion for the NBA has been featured in USA Today, the Detroit Free Press, the Wall Street Journal, the Boston Globe, and ESPN the Magazine.
"He has so much invested in our sport," NBA commissioner David Stern said. "He probably has the largest investment of any fan in America, so we get a kick out of him. He has got quite a flair, and we love him as a sort of a superfan."
The son of a Milwaukee department store owner, Goldstein said he began watching NBA games as a 10-year-old. [1] At the age of 15 he was hired to keep game statistics by the Milwaukee Hawks.[2] "Once I did that and sat courtside for the games, I was totally hooked," he said. "My entire life has been devoted to professional basketball since then. I have such a passion for the game. I think there's more athleticism displayed in basketball than in any other sport."[3] He has also befriended several current and former NBA players, including Wilt Chamberlain, Clyde Drexler, Hakeem Olajuwon, Sam Cassell, and Dennis Rodman.
Unlike some other "super fans," however, Goldstein is content to simply observe the games and enjoy them, without yelling at referees or taunting players. He claims to have no favorite team, in spite of his Lakers and Clippers season tickets. He describes himself as a fan of the NBA in general.[4]
Goldstein refuses to disclose how he made his fortune or his net worth, although the Wall Street Journal speculated that Goldstein made billions in real estate (notably Century City in Los Angeles). [5] When asked, he typically responds, “Let’s just say I had some investments that worked out pretty well." He reportedly spends in excess of six figures on travelling to and attending NBA games. "I try not to think about the cost," he said. "It's worth it to me."

I'm not saying Kobe didn't make contact with Nelson, but there's no way to know how hard that was

What? Did you watch that replay? Kobe clearly connected solidly with Nelson's chin. That seemed just as cut and dried to me as Dahntay Jones' trip - both obvious fouls that should've been called. Except this one resulted in a wide open Fisher three that arguably changed the outcome of the game.

Last edited:
Just in case anyone wondered about this guy;

goldstein_300.jpg

He was sitting 3 rows in front of me on the last Lakers game I attended and we all were like wtf? who is this guy? He was court side next to Penny Marshall.
I keep on seeing him in different playoff games and here's why;

"James F. Goldstein, (born in 1943) is a multi-millionaire "NBA superfan" who attends over one hundred NBA games each season (typically in courtside seats), including approximately 95 percent of home games for the Los Angeles Lakers and the Los Angeles Clippers. He also travels from city to city to catch games, especially during the NBA Playoffs (and not necessarily Lakers and Clippers playoff games). He also frequently attends post-game press conferences. His unique and flamboyant clothing makes him fairly easy to spot on television. His passion for the NBA has been featured in USA Today, the Detroit Free Press, the Wall Street Journal, the Boston Globe, and ESPN the Magazine.
"He has so much invested in our sport," NBA commissioner David Stern said. "He probably has the largest investment of any fan in America, so we get a kick out of him. He has got quite a flair, and we love him as a sort of a superfan."
The son of a Milwaukee department store owner, Goldstein said he began watching NBA games as a 10-year-old. [1] At the age of 15 he was hired to keep game statistics by the Milwaukee Hawks.[2] "Once I did that and sat courtside for the games, I was totally hooked," he said. "My entire life has been devoted to professional basketball since then. I have such a passion for the game. I think there's more athleticism displayed in basketball than in any other sport."[3] He has also befriended several current and former NBA players, including Wilt Chamberlain, Clyde Drexler, Hakeem Olajuwon, Sam Cassell, and Dennis Rodman.
Unlike some other "super fans," however, Goldstein is content to simply observe the games and enjoy them, without yelling at referees or taunting players. He claims to have no favorite team, in spite of his Lakers and Clippers season tickets. He describes himself as a fan of the NBA in general.[4]
Goldstein refuses to disclose how he made his fortune or his net worth, although the Wall Street Journal speculated that Goldstein made billions in real estate (notably Century City in Los Angeles). [5] When asked, he typically responds, “Let’s just say I had some investments that worked out pretty well." He reportedly spends in excess of six figures on travelling to and attending NBA games. "I try not to think about the cost," he said. "It's worth it to me."

THAT'S WHO THAT IS!

I just thought the preacher from Poltergeist and Dick Bavetta had a lovechild.

What? Did you watch that replay? Kobe clearly connected solidly with Nelson's chin. That seemed just as cut and dried to me as Dahntay Jones' trip - both obvious fouls that should've been called. Except this one resulted in a wide open Fisher three that arguably changed the outcome of the game.

That's why I said there was definitely contact. But how do you know how hard he was hit? Do you think it was hard enough to send Nelson to the floor? Or was Nelson trying to draw a foul? The refs missed a call, that's for sure. But I don't think Kobe fouled him flagrantly.

Also, even if Nelson doesn't hit the deck, Fisher still gets that shot off.

That's why I said there was definitely contact. But how do you know how hard he was hit? Do you think it was hard enough to send Nelson to the floor? Or was Nelson trying to draw a foul? The refs missed a call, that's for sure. But I don't think Kobe fouled him flagrantly.

But there's the difference between an uncontested shot and a shot with a hand in his face.

I had seats at the opposite end of the basket, so I couldn't see the elbow to the face, but was more egregious was the foul on Nelson with Gasol about to go on a piggyback ride the play beforehand. Gasol's arm was hooked under, but that's just a no-call at best in that type of situation, I think.

Not blaming the loss on this, but damn, it still stings.

fisher doesn't neccesarily get the shot off if nelson doesn't fall...

i don't think it was flagrant at all... it certainly was an offensive foul.

also, i may have done the exact same thing michael pietrus did at the end of the game. the game is over, there's no reason to score a basket... hold the ball, dribble it out. frankly pao's dunk was more classless than pietrus' flagrant foul.

all that said... the magic still have had two games in which they had control of the game with under a minute to go in which they have lost. bad ref calls aside, that will haunt them forever... unless they can do the unlikely and win the next 3 games.

Again, did you see the replay? That shot was clearly enough to send Nelson to the floor. I don't think it's a flagrant either, but it's definitely a foul, as Headache said. Also, I agree that Fisher would've gotten the shot off, but Nelson would've at the very least been able to rush him and possibly force him to alter the shot.

When I went to see Up tonight, I saw Dwight walking out of the theater with a few of his buddies. If I wasn't in awe, I would've yelled at him, then felt terrible afterward. He's like a giant teddy bear, you can't help but love him.

Back
Top Bottom