NBA Basketball 2007-08: The Thread Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And that thread itself had call-backs to Battlestar and Pitchfork.

I think it's just a perfect distillation of the perversion and inside joke nature of this decadent arena.

MVP! MVP! MVP!

Whatever. The Cubs are the best team in baseball. If I have to sacrifice the Lakers for that, so be it.

Nothing will ever top the year they beat those bitch-ass Sacramento Kings and threepeated, anyway.

FALSE.

Right city, wrong team.

Sox are having a nice season and all but I don't quite think they're better than the Cubs. They're also not better than the Red Sox or Anaheim, so, we'll see if they ever get to the WS. Should be fun, though. It would be nice, as a fan of neither living in Chicago, to witness the possibility of a Chicago v Chicago World Series. I was not living in NYC in 2000, sadly, but was at least able to attend Games 1 and 2 of the Subway Series, and that was fucking insanity.

threadofftopic.gif
:wink:

Last edited:
The Cubs winning the World Series would be the most amazing sports event as it is; beating the Sox to do it would almost be too much to handle. I think the entire South Side would just commit ritual suicide by stabbing themselves with frozen, sharpened bratwursts.

Also, the Cubs are tied for the best team batting average in the majors, and have the highest team on-base percentage. The Sox do have arguably the best pitching stats right now though.

They will be playing each other this summer so that should settle the argument.

She just turned 18 two months ago, GAF.

Do you and your friends have traditions before one of you goes to jail or hell?

Hey, I didn't say anything.

I wanted to get the thread back on topic for Lila. I just think she's a nice young girl with a winning smile and she likes the Lakers!

And, no, none of my friends have been to jail since '06. But, yes, we will probably start a new tradition when we all see eachother in hell.

:lmao:

And I hated the Sacramento Queens, too, Laz. Never as much as the current Pistons and Spurs teams though.

When the Magic beat the Spurs with Dwight's in-bound, alley oop with less than a second left, I think I shit my pants.

I don't know who or what a Pedokiss is so, unfortunately, your inside joke has fallen on deaf ears.

Go Lakers!

I honestly think they still have a shot in this series.

The only shot they have is if the Celtics completely fall apart. Plus if they win tomorrow (I think they will), they go to Boston, and there ain't no way they're winning 2 straight in Boston.

Word.

Showtime era Lakers were tops, man. That team was an integral part of my childhood.

Long time no talk, by the way, hope all is well.....

Despite growing up in NYC, I rooted for the Sixers...so, except for 1980 and 1983, the Celtics were busy knocking us out of the playoffs annually.

Things are good - good to see you back in action here. :)

Me and my friends used to go to the park after Lakers games and play as the team and recreate the highlights. I usually ended up being Kareem, but secretly always wanted to be Cooper nailing 'em from the outside.

Good times. :up:

The only shot they have is if the Celtics completely fall apart. Plus if they win tomorrow (I think they will), they go to Boston, and there ain't no way they're winning 2 straight in Boston.

When you look at it that way...with the Lakers taking the game tonight...does it seem all that unbelievable for Kobe to will his team to consecutive road victories? No. It's very possible. He's the best player in the world, and the best players have a way of surprising us. We will see.

And those 80's Lakers teams...

Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Cooper, Scott, Green, Rambis...

Who else was on those teams? I remember my parents, when they lived out in LA, were HUGE showtime fanatics. Especially my pops.

When you look at it that way...with the Lakers taking the game tonight...does it seem all that unbelievable for Kobe to will his team to consecutive road victories? No. It's very possible. He's the best player in the world, and the best players have a way of surprising us. We will see.

And those 80's Lakers teams...

Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Cooper, Scott, Green, Rambis...

Who else was on those teams? I remember my parents, when they lived out in LA, were HUGE showtime fanatics. Especially my pops.

Mychael Thompson and Bob McAdoo spring to mind.

Well that's because MJ had Scottie [/Kobe apologist]

While I think it's clear that Jordan's Bulls teammates were superior to what Kobe has to work

i disagree.

while i certainly don't want to sell pippen short, and i'll take pippen over both odom and pao, it's certainly not because pippen was more talented than either of those two guys. pippen just had "it." he was a gamer, and a lock down defender to boot. he was the perfect second fiddle. if he had been drafted somewhere where he would have been forced to be the #1 guy, i certainly don't think we'd be talking about scottie pippen in the same light we do today, and he certainly would not have been on the top 50 team.

odom and pao are both incredibly talented, but tend to be soft (especially pao). after that... derek fisher is certainly as good if not better than ron harper or bj armstrong, and the lakers have a very capable bench.

michael jordan made no name, ordinary players into house hold names, many of whom would go on to become terrible terrible GMs thanks to their association with Jordan.

here is the most glaring difference between Michael Jordan and his relationship with his teammates and Kobe Bryant and his relationship with his.

Michael Jordan would be intense and yell at you and get in your face. Kobe Bryant is intense and yells and gets in your face. Michael Jordan would then pass you the ball on the next posession, showing that he still had trust in you. Kobe Bryant will say "fuck it" and shoot a fall away jumper.

Take Michael Jordan in his prime and switch him out with Kobe Bryant and the Lakers win this series. Switch Kobe Bryant with Michael Jordan in the 90s and the Knicks, Suns and Jazz would all have NBA Championship Banners hanging from the rafters. The Bulls may still have gotten a title or even two, but certainly not 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom