NBA Basketball 2007-08: The Thread Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally the finals starts tonight. I'm looking forward to this series, but once its over I can't watch pro sports until the fall.

Great to hear Mark Jackson say Kobe's as good as MJ.

I hate Stuart Scott as much as I love the Chuck/Wade T-Mobile commercials. I actually want to hear why Chuck doesn't eat shrimp.

Chuck has never been to Amsterdam. Scott is a tool.

Kobe is not yet as good as MJ, but, he's creeping up on at least making it a legit discussion. 6 titles, 5 MVP's and a 30.1 per game career scoring average is hard to top, though. Jordan remains the best athletic figure of my lifetime, in my opinion.

Mike Breen looks like he brawled with Kimbo Slice before the game.

Chuck has never been to Amsterdam. Scott is a tool.

Kobe is not yet as good as MJ, but, he's creeping up on at least making it a legit discussion. 6 titles, 5 MVP's and a 30.1 per game career scoring average is hard to top, though. Jordan remains the best athletic figure of my lifetime, in my opinion.

Mike Breen looks like he brawled with Kimbo Slice before the game.

There's no doubt that Kobe's talented, I think he's the most dominant player in the league today. I don't see Kobe surviving a Bulls-Knicks-type series though, or dropping 60 in the Garden with a still Bird-led Celtics (albeit near the end).

There's no doubt that Kobe's talented, I think he's the most dominant player in the league today. I don't see Kobe surviving a Bulls-Knicks-type series though, or dropping 60 in the Garden with a still Bird-led Celtics (albeit near the end).

That wasn't near the end, though. That was in 1986, when the Celtics were at the top of their game.

Which just makes it that much more impressive...

That wasn't near the end, though. That was in 1986, when the Celtics were at the top of their game.

Which just makes it that much more impressive...

That was '86? I thought it was around '88/'89 for some reason, my bad.

Like you said, still proves my point.

I think we all agree that Kobe aint Jordan, I'm just saying that it's possible that he enters the conversation. And, if a guy like Mark Jackson believes it, it has validity to me.

You know what's fun? Watching the Come Fly With Me DVD. It's pre-championship Jordan. I think that sometimes we forget that before he started winning titles, the fucking guy was a one man aerial circus.....

Oh, here comes Willis Reed, I mean Paul Pierce.

I think we all agree that Kobe aint Jordan, I'm just saying that it's possible that he enters the conversation. And, if a guy like Mark Jackson believes it, it has validity to me.

You know what's fun? Watching the Come Fly With Me DVD. It's pre-championship Jordan. I think that sometimes we forget that before he started winning titles, the fucking guy was a one man aerial circus.....

Oh, here comes Willis Reed, I mean Paul Pierce.

If the Lakers win the title this year, I'll be more inclined to agree with you.

You beat me to the obligatory Willis Reed comment.

And Tropic Thunder looks hilarious. Robert Downey Jr. as a method actor pretending to be a black man kills me just thinking about it.

Good to see Pierce back so quickly. :up:

I'm rooting HARD for the Lake Show, but that would have been un-cool if he had gone down with something serious like that.

And Kobe needs to just keep shooting the round orange thing at the hoop and the Lakers will be fine.

Well that was ugly....just like the commentator said, "its only Game 1"...

Its two in Boston, 3 in LA and then 2 back in Beantown, so anything can happen ...one observation, Kobe did NOT look comfortable tonight; at times he was triple-teamed...he's gonna have to start taking shots early and forget about spreading the ball around especially if Odom can't get it going....

Great, great game. Pierce is all heart, KG was the man at the end, the Celtics team defense was tremendous, and they were knocking shots down right and left. Great to see Ray Allen over his funk and playing well now.

I guess I'm the only one here routing for the Celtics to win this series. I want KG, Pierce, and Allen to get rings. Say what you will, but Kobe already has three rings, and Odom and Gasol, imo, don't deserve rings as much as Garnett and Pierce do. Especially Garnett. He's the second best PF of his generation and very, very arguably a top 5 player of his generation, and he won't get the respect he deserves if he doesn't win a ring. Same with Pierce...he's been on this team for ten years, and save for 2002, they were, for the most part, lousy teams. But I never heard him demand or even ask for a trade. And Shuttlesworth is the best shooter in the NBA in a time when shooting is down the tubes, he deserves a ring for that alone.

I'm really liking the supporting cast, too. I've always liked Cassell, I've grew to like PJ Brown when he was on my Bulls ,(Yes Headache, we know you hate him for flipping Charlie Ward), and I'm really liking Rondo as well, kid looks very, very solid. Kendrick Perkins is a solid role-player center as well. Posey...I hated him when he was on Miami, because he took a cheap shot or two at Kirk Hinrich, but I can't deny he's a very solid sixth man.

It irritates me seeing how all the so-called experts on ESPN are picking the Lakers, and a lot of people in the general basketball-watching public are picking the Lakers, like beating the Celtics would be easy. Like 66 wins, the #1 defense in the NBA, the defensive player of the year, and the fact they GOT to the finals going through LeBron and the Pistons don't mean anything.

You lose a couple games to a Hawks team that was much younger and faster than you and suddenly people don't take you as seriously. Notice how much better the Celtics have played in the ECF and in this Game 1 when they're playing against other half-court teams and they don't have to out-run or out-jump anyone.

Go Celtics!

Last edited:
I was out this evening and had to TiVo the game. I watched live up until 19-14 Celts in the first period. While I was out, I was being updated (thanks Carlos :up: ) Got home and watched the game, already knowing the outcome. Seemed to be a pretty good/tight game all the way til the end of the third/early 4th (for the Lakers). But Pierce coming back with those back to back 3 pointers after his injury, and it just seemed the momentum turned or something just shifted :shrug: And the Lakers were missing so many shots. Got to give it up to Garnett, Pierce and the rest of the Celtics. I was hoping the Lakers could pull out a game 1 win. I knew it would be difficult to win game 1 in Boston. This is gonna be one tough series!

BTW, on the ABC 7 newscast prior to the pre-show, the sports guy Rob Fukuzaki was talking to their guy who was live at Staples Center (apparently you can go there to pay & watch the game telecast from Boston). He took the Celtics in 6. I couldn't believe it, especially saying that from the location he was in. Maybe there were no fans around to hear him or something :shrug:

I guess I'm the only one here routing for the Celtics to win this series.!

No, I certainly am, and I think I can safely say phanan and randhail are also rooting for the Celts.

Funny how a different officiating crew changes things, Pierce's 4 point play was pretty much identical to the play in game 6 vs Detroit and there it was an offensive foul (a block:huh:).

And the save from a back court by KG was tremendous.

Worth staying up late for.
1 down, 3 to go.

That save by KG was tremendous. I thought the Celts did a generally good job on Kobe and he still had 24 and, like he said, he missed some bunnies. They really tightened up the D in the 2nd half which was pretty impressive.

Apparently people are suggesting that Paul Pierce was faking...

that save by KG was probably a back court violation that wasn't called because the refs don't know where the line is because of the silly gynormous championship trophy in the middle of the parque :wink: great hustle play none the less.

the back court that was called on pao gasol in the first quarter, on the other hand, wasn't a back court violation because all three points never crossed, as breen pointed out. again, probably confusion by the refs due to the ridiculous giant logo in the center of the court. look... we get it... it's the finals... we know, okay?

i've never been a big paul pierce fan... disliked him even. thought he took too many bad shots. but i can't tell you enough how much respect i've gained for him based on the way he's played in these playoffs... he's played great defense, made timely shots, been totaly unselfish, and has been a true leader on the court, which i never saw from him before. last night's performance only cements that.

as for the kobe/mj comparisons... jordan would have won that game. kobe did not. kobe's the best player in the league today. he's not michael jordan, and that's not an insult.

i hate mark jackson... but i love van gundy.

sam cassell really has become awful. it's amazing how many times you see guys like pierce and allen yelling at a veteran with championship experience like cassell after sam i am an alien does something incredibly retarded that he probably could have done 5 years ago, can't anymore, but still thinks he can.

both teams had tremendous defensive schemes... and i think rondo's ability to hit (or not hit) an outside jumper will be the difference in at least one game in this series.

one down, 6 to go.

I only was able to catch the game starting around the time when Pierce hit the back to back threes, but wow what it enteraining game. Great defense buy the C's in the 4th quarter. Though the way some of the Lakers shots were rimming out, it made me wonder if Red's ghost tightened those rims up at halftime.

It was nice to see Cassell actually hit some shots last night too, rather than the standard rapid fire brick launching I've come to expect from him. Though he still takes way too many friggin shots when he's in there.

Lakers are a better matchup for Cassell but I really cringe when he's in the game. Yeah he hit some shots yesterday and you could see him really feeling it...but the offense just looks like crap with Sam at the point. I'd rather see House.

Yeah the refs missed on both those backcourt plays, the Gasol one in particular. The KG one was more like the "save out of bounds" type plays that guys seem to usually get the call because they hustled. Overall I thought the game was officiated pretty well though, the 2 really questionable ones I saw were a foul by Gasol on KG that looked like a pretty good block, and one on Perk that might have been a rep call as Perkins is something of a foul magnet.

Ray Allen had a really nice game too, very active, got a bunch of boards, pretty good D guarding Kobe.

i think the fact that cassell actually made some shots, which he hadn't done in so long, actually disguised yet another poor performance. the offense stands still when he's in the game. even one of the shots he made... he had james posey standing bare ass naked for a corner three, but he took a contested jumper instead. it was a bad shot, it just happened to go in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom