NBA Basketball 2007-08: The Thread Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i'd be a tad concearned about d.rose if i were chicago...

shows up to the draft with about a 3 inch by 3 inch diamond ring on his hand, which had to cost an absolute fortune, before he's even signed a contract mind you... today news came out that he was picked up for doing 106 in a 65...

no reason to panic at all... but just a something to be watchful of. would also be worried of the hangers on that are going to be in abundance because he's playing in his home town.

I have not been this livid in a long, long, long, long time. The Oklahoma Raiders won.

Can't believe the City of Seattle settled..............for so little.

They always do, sad to say :( Been through it in Hartford.

hartford_whalers_1996.gif

At least we knew for sure and got a chance to say goodbye, I was at the last game and it was like a funeral. I think Seattle will eventually get another team, it always seemed like a good NBA city.

I actually grew up in the Hartford area, so the whole Hartford Whalers saga was pretty sad, as well -- though there were so many hockey teams close together in that region.

I think Seattle will get a basketball team sometime again in the future, but man -- it hurts like hell to have a team ripped away like that. So many villains. It really hurts your faith in sports, especially with all the scandal stories going on these days.

I'm sad I won't get to see Kevin Durant and Jeff Green develop up close. I hope they do well, and then I hope they go on to better NBA cities when they get the chance. It would be great if Seattle got a new team in a couple years and Durant came back to Seattle -- in your face, Bennett!

I actually grew up in the Hartford area, so the whole Hartford Whalers saga was pretty sad, as well -- though there were so many hockey teams close together in that region.

I think Seattle will get a basketball team sometime again in the future, but man -- it hurts like hell to have a team ripped away like that. So many villains. It really hurts your faith in sports, especially with all the scandal stories going on these days.

I'm sad I won't get to see Kevin Durant and Jeff Green develop up close. I hope they do well, and then I hope they go on to better NBA cities when they get the chance. It would be great if Seattle got a new team in a couple years and Durant came back to Seattle -- in your face, Bennett!

Would you be able to root for the OKC Whatevers? For me with the Whalers thing, I could never cheer for Carolina. Yeah they were a lousy team, but they were MY lousy team and I lived & died (died mostly) with them...I admit I was one of the wussies with a tear in my eye in the stands at that last game. Them leaving tore my heart out...them winning the Cup in Carolina poured salt in the wound. But I still liked some of the players so it was odd. There was a lot of turnover though, so most of the old Hartford guys were gone pretty quickly.

Would you be able to root for the OKC Whatevers? For me with the Whalers thing, I could never cheer for Carolina. Yeah they were a lousy team, but they were MY lousy team and I lived & died (died mostly) with them...I admit I was one of the wussies with a tear in my eye in the stands at that last game. Them leaving tore my heart out...them winning the Cup in Carolina poured salt in the wound. But I still liked some of the players so it was odd. There was a lot of turnover though, so most of the old Hartford guys were gone pretty quickly.

Sports is about passion, and so, you are hardly a wussy for having a tear in your eye when they left. I was at Game 6 of the 1996 World Series, saw my team win the whole thing, right in front of me....I cried then, albeit tears of joy and not sorrow......

Oh, and if I were a Sonics fan, it would be very difficult for me to root for them.

I could easily see Seattle getting a new franchise within 5 years or so. The KeyArena is going to be renovated to meet current NBA standards and by then, I'm sure some other city will lose their franchise. Maybe Golden State will relocate to Seattle.

So, Chris Duhon...could this mean the end for Starbury?

i'm intrigued by duhon based on the fact that he was apparently endorsed to d'antoni by nash (and d'antoni endorsed to duhon by nash to boot)... but i'm obviously not sold that a bulls backup is the long term answer at the point.

that said... i think your above statement could have been "so, [insert generic non marbury point guard here]... could this mean the end for starbury?" and the answer would still be yes.

i think they'll try their best to shop him for anything... and ultimately just release him and let duhon, robinson and collins take their turn at the point, with crawford seeing some time there as well.

nash himself never averaged double digits in assists, and only averaged over 8 assists per game once, before hooking up with d'antoni... he averaged 10+ assists in all 4 seasons with d'antoni.

ironicly enough... nash's career stats after 4 seasons, which he spent largely as a backup. were 7.2 ppg and 3.8 assists. duhon's stats after 4 years, which he spent largely as a backup, 5.8 ppg and 4.0 assists. this, of course, means absolutely nothing.

yes, you've been nothing if not fair and analytical on all of your previous statements. i will surely trust this one on your merit.

again... i'm obviously not sold that a backup for such a bad offensive team such as the bulls is the long term answer at the point, but i'm willing to give it a chance based on his very good career assist to turnover ratio, a thought that maybe the bulls are inept and he'll look better elsewhere, and the thought that d'antoni has, before, turned chicken shit into chicken salad.

I was being somewhat tounge-in-cheek re: Starbury...I agree his Knick days are over either way. But I'm curious how the Duhon/D'Antoni thing will work out.

I could easily see Seattle getting a new franchise within 5 years or so. The KeyArena is going to be renovated to meet current NBA standards and by then, I'm sure some other city will lose their franchise. Maybe Golden State will relocate to Seattle.

why would golden state move to seattle? they do quite well where they are :scratch:

I'm with you there, but I would have never guessed that Charlotte would've lost the Hornets and that happened too. I don't want Golden State to leave, but the Bay Area is a questionable NBA market.

i'm just confused as to where you get your "the bay area is a questionable NBA market" line. the warriors do quite well in oakland. heck, even the sacramento queens do well. yes, attendance was down in golden state when the team stunk, as is the case in most places. but if the team is decent to good the fans come out.

on top of that they don't have an owner who has any intention of moving... unlike seattle, who everyone and their uncle knew the guy wanted the team in oklahoma city the second he bought the team.

On the one hand, I hate the OKC ownership. Despise those lying cheating bastards.

On the other hand, I've got nothing against the players. I'm a big Kevin Durant, Jeff Green and Nick Collison fan. Good guys. I hope Durant has a tremendous career. But I hope he does all of his winning with another team.

I don't think I have to worry about OKC contending for a few years -- they've got a lot of rebuilding to do. If by some miracle they were in the playoffs this year? My heart would be torn. Hate the owners, like the players. I'd probably root for the players.

On the one hand, I hate the OKC ownership. Despise those lying cheating bastards.

On the other hand, I've got nothing against the players. I'm a big Kevin Durant, Jeff Green and Nick Collison fan. Good guys. I hope Durant has a tremendous career. But I hope he does all of his winning with another team.

I don't think I have to worry about OKC contending for a few years -- they've got a lot of rebuilding to do. If by some miracle they were in the playoffs this year? My heart would be torn. Hate the owners, like the players. I'd probably root for the players.

What will you do if/when another team moves into Seattle?

What will you do if/when another team moves into Seattle?

If Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and other local investors buy a team, I'm sure I'll be excited -- although that seems like a very long ways away. Hope it happens. Will feel much better if it's an expansion team instead of a Memphis or New Orleans or whatever -- that's the way a lot of us feel here (don't want done to another city what was done to us). And many Sonics fans don't care if the city never gets another team -- they're pissed off at the NBA.

I guess I have to find a new favorite team for the time being. I rooted for the Celtics in the finals this year because of Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett, but I rooted for Lebron and the Cavaliers in the Eastern finals. I dunno; maybe the Blazers, they're an up-and-coming team with lots of Seattle connections. I know a lot of the longtime Seattle fans despise the Blazers but I'm an East Coast transplant anyway, so I don't feel the Portland hate. And Brandon Roy and Nate MacMillan are class. Hope Greg Oden has a great year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom