NBA Basketball 2007-08: The Thread Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CBS Sportsline has some great information on the draftees. Got to read some info on the Magic pick and he sounds perfect for Ron Jeremy's system.

Is Chris Douglas Roberts really not good enough to be a first round pick? I loved watching that guy play for memphis.

And I honestly think you're a little too sure about Beasley.

If he was really Charles Barkley II or whatever do you really think the Bulls would be passing on him?

If a guy puts up the numbers he did in his first year in college, and he's not the consensus #1 overall pick, then there's a reason why, and whatever that reason is, the decision-makers for these teams are aware of it.

One cannot possibly be as sure about how a guy is going to fare in the NBA before he's even drafted as you seem to be about Beasley. He's not in the LeBron-Duncan 1000% sure thing category as you seem to think he is.

Yup, remember. Kurt Thomas put up big numbers in College Hoops too. :)

Ladies and gentleman, Isiah Thomas now has direct competition for the title of 'Worst GM Ever'. We always knew Kevin McHale was a terrible GM, but...

OJ Mayo, Marko Jaric, Antoine Walker, and Greg Buckner to Memphis for Kevin Love, Mike Miller, Brian Cardinal, and Jason Collins.

So, basically, Mayo and garbage for Love, Miller, and garbage.

Yes, Minnesota shaves off big-time salary in Walker and Jaric, but is it really worth it? You had a Jefferson/Mayo/Brewer trio waiting to happen.

Jefferson/Mayo would've been a great tandem.

Just unbelievable to me.

Anyone else get the impression that Brook Lopez might be dumber than a bag of rocks? I mean seriously.

Not sure I get where the Nets had a "brilliant" draft. They didn't make any moves, they just got fortunate (we'll see) and nabbed guys who dropped. That's not brilliance, it's luck...the sun shines on a dog's ass sometimes.

Ladies and gentleman, Isiah Thomas now has direct competition for the title of 'Worst GM Ever'. We always knew Kevin McHale was a terrible GM, but...

OJ Mayo, Marko Jaric, Antoine Walker, and Greg Buckner to Memphis for Kevin Love, Mike Miller, Brian Cardinal, and Jason Collins.

So, basically, Mayo and garbage for Love, Miller, and garbage.

Yes, Minnesota shaves off big-time salary in Walker and Jaric, but is it really worth it? You had a Jefferson/Mayo/Brewer trio waiting to happen.

Jefferson/Mayo would've been a great tandem.

Just unbelievable to me.

yes... mayo for love, miller and a whoooole lotta cap space in 2 years.

that's why the deal was done... and i love mike miller, and love is going to be very good in his own right. so basically minnesota traded an undersized 2 for a lights out, under-rated shooter in miller, a fundamentaly sound big in love to put next to jefferson, and a couple of expiring contracts that will put them under the cap in short order.

obviously if mayo becomes a star then the deal won't look good... but if love, too, becomes a star... well then, minnesota wins 'cause they got more parts.

and to be technical mchale's the vp of basketball operations... not the GM. so steve kerr and john paxson still may lead the running for biggest douche-a-rama GM currently employed. :wink:

Anyone else get the impression that Brook Lopez might be dumber than a bag of rocks? I mean seriously.

Not sure I get where the Nets had a "brilliant" draft. They didn't make any moves, they just got fortunate (we'll see) and nabbed guys who dropped. That's not brilliance, it's luck...the sun shines on a dog's ass sometimes.

he did miss some time for academic reasons... i don't neccesarily think their draft was that brilliant, based soley on my dislike for all things lopez.

i did like the pick of anderson though... and douglas-roberts is a good risk for a 2nd rounder.

the team that may have gotten the steal of the 2nd round are your boston celtics... bill walker was highly touted in high school but an ACL injury set him back significantly. if he can have a full recovery than Boston may have just gotten a lottery player in the late 2nd round.

how about darrell arthur... almost slips out of the 1st round and then gets traded three times.

Yeah odd draft for Arthur.

I like the Walker move. The Celts seem to be rolling the dice all over the place with these risk/reward guys going all the way back to Powe. If they hit on either Walker's health or Giddens staying in line they'll be doing very well considering where they were picking. I thought they'd go with Douglas-Roberts at #30 honestly.

When I found out who the Sixers drafted, my first concern was his wingspan and his toolbox.

I didn't even know Stephen A. Smith had been demoted. That's like a PSA. I want to think Lil SAS for letting the world know of this plot to eliminate Stephen A. Smith.

Stephen A. even looked pissed off in a simple "Who Won the NBA Draft" segment on SportsCenter today. Even if Stephen A. is a complete buffoon, he's at least more entertaining than Mark Jackson.

Stephen A. even looked pissed off in a simple "Who Won the NBA Draft" segment on SportsCenter today. Even if Stephen A. is a complete buffoon, he's at least more entertaining than Mark Jackson.

I dunno...while everybody enjoys a good "HOWEVUH" or a smoothly delivered "quite frankly" I'm not sure they carry the weight that a prophetic "Mama there goes that man" does.

I actually sometimes enjoy Stephen A, and he's actually better than the yelling caricature he's become with ESPN. He clearly beats Skip Clueless, there's that at least...he could take Jemele Hill's frequent guest spots on First Take since for some reason I don't think we'll be seeing Jemele any more :(

when stephen a. went all "arrreee you serrrrrrrious" on bill walton, basketball legend and hall of famer, for saying that the celtics were going to win because of their unselfish team play, while kobe bryant still did not make his teammates better and that's why the lakers would lose... yea, that was kinda my last straw on stephen a. smith.

not that it's wrong for someone to disagree with bill walton, or that someone who was on the a/v squad in college like stephen a. to disagree with a basketball legend is neccesarily wrong... but to just go all "you're out of your friggin mind who the hell are you to talk about basketball" on bill friggin walton... and then to have what walton said come 100% true? yea... that was it for me with stephen a.

Did he really do that, and how did I miss it? What did Bill do? I'd have laughed.

Baron Davis opted out of his contract today. Where else would he go if he wasn't re-signed? The Sixers, Grizzlies, and Bobcats don't have enough money for him. Sign-and-trade to the Clippers for Elton Brand? I dunno.

Apparently Corey Maggette is interested in signing with the Magic. I like it, since they could always use a solid scorer in the backcourt and a genuine slasher. He'd take up the whole mid-level and they've got more pieces to fill. If they can't resign Keyon Dooling, who is they key bench guy, I'd like to see them go after Chris Duhon and Mickael Pietrus or something. They're both solid guys who would do well in Ron Jeremy's system... then trade J.J. Redick and Tony Battie for a solid big guy to put next to Dwight and toughen that team up. Redick's too good of a player to keep rotting on the bench like that - either play him or trade him for something that would actually help. I'd prefer the former over the latter, but what can you do?

A starting line-up of Nelson, Maggette, Turkoglu, Lewis, and Howard would be one of the best in the East, no doubt. I just don't want them to blow all of their money on Maggette like what happened with Lewis. I love what he brings to the team, but come on, who negotiated that deal? John Paxson?

What I'm reading is that Baron opted out for the Clippers, and that the Clippers desire is to renounce Maggette and let him go for nothing, use the cap space that opens up(~10 million) to sign Baron, and then use the bird rights they have with Brand to sign him for whatever they agree on.

You think Davis would sign for a contract that low though? And go to the Clippers? He's probably just re-structuring his deal with the Warriors like what Brand and Gilbert Arenas are both trying to do with their respective teams.

It looks like what I read last night is true.

Baron Davis has apparently agreed to a 5 year, 65 million dollar contract with the Clippers, and the Clippers will try to get Brand re-signed ASAP as well. Rumblings that this was all pre-arranged and that Davis wouldn't have opted out unless he knew for sure the Clippers would sign him.

Kaman
Brand
Thorton
Mobley/E.Gordon
Davis/D.Jordan

Not bad.

But they still won't be elite. They still won't be a contender, imo.

Yes. If the Clippers manage to resign Brand they will be improved, obviously, with the addition of Baron Davis. And some may say that the drafting of Eric Gordon will push them to a playoff berth. I don't buy it.

They still won't make the playoffs.

Eric Gordon is a talented kid. I've been able to watch him a lot over the last few years. He committed to my school originally so I followed him throughout high school. But he proceeded to back out of his commitment to join Sampson at IU. He showed flashes of brilliance in his freshman year, but struggled to keep his shit under control. He had a LOT of mindless turnovers. He looked nervous in certain clutch situations. Of course, that will happen to every freshman in college but there is something about Gordon that makes me think he won't be a star in the NBA. He just doesn't have that look in his eye. Maybe it will come to him. We'll see.

Either way, the Clips won't make the playoffs in '09.

A few things, if I may.
First, there are millions of Celtics bandwagons out there......fuck all of them. You know who you are.
Second, there are millions of Laker fans that are jumping of the bandwagon.....fuck you as well. especially you.

I wore my Laker jersey today and I saw many true Laker fans out there in Laughlin and here in California on the way back wearing them as well. To those people, I salute you.

Am I dissapointed they lost, of course.
Are they coming back next year stronger with Bynum? You better fucking believe it.
congrats to KG and RA....PP can kiss my ass, that crying mf'r.

*damn, I sound mad*
Laker for life.

I read this a while back since I wasnt here when my Lakers got crushed and since I live in Chicago but I was in LA at the time, I too wore my Laker jersey after the game, it was one of the most embarrassing moments as a die-hard Laker fan since birth but we all grow from experiences.

All I have to say is, congrats to KG and Ray Allen, I know most of the others have been in the league forever too but contributed a lot to the win, but all of those team mates bandwagoned themselves onto the team for the championship. :down:

Waiting for this terrible Bynum injury to end.

I bleed purple and gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom