NBA Basketball 2007-08: The Thread Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll be safe..:giggle:

I made it thru the Boston beer gardens and the arena wearing my USC hat but then I was hanging with Hewson who was attempting his best Joe Montana imitation wearing his green #3...Now that, was good times...

Of course USC is not a hated rival of any local team here in Boston. Its not a risk wearing SC gear, but stroll down Landsdowne Street on a Saturday night sporting a Yankee hat, a Canadiens jersey, waving a Lakers pennant and shouting "Jets rule", you might have a rough weekend. :wink:

There is no bandwagon here, it's a fairly basic fact that once you get to the Finals, there are only 2 teams to root for..I went into the series rooting for old stalwarts by virtue of the name that I had respected as a child, ie the Lakers...Boston won my admiration and respect, and solidly. It wasn't a matter of being a wishy-washy fan or not supporting 'my team', because 'my team' was out of the playoffs. It was a case of being a fan of the game. And Boston epitomized everything that is beautiful about the game. The Lakers did not. Not even in the games they won. :no:

QFT.

I think does a fantastic job of summing up how awesome it's been being a Boston sports fan lately:

littlekid.bmp

My daughter has that beat...6 years old, 7 championships (her dad's a UConn alum). 9 if you count the Diana Taurasi titles. I think we should all take a moment to thank Eli Manning and the New York Giants because if they lost can you imagine what New England sports fans would be like?

Nobody outside CT does. But in the state there are rabid and I mean RABID UConn women's BB fans. You will find people, lots of people, who insist that the women's teams could beat the men. They hate Pat Summitt the way the rest of the country might hate a Pat Riley or Coach K...it's bizarre really.

The Sox are supposed to be having a pregame ceremony honoring the Celts tonight, apparently wearing the green unis. Should be cool.

Oh that's totally what I was getting at. Young kids who didn't live through some of the crappy stuff are going to be entitled little snots sports-wise. The only people in the way of that are Eli and Grady Little.

Even stronger are rumors that the Grizzlies are talking to a number of teams, including the Knicks, Blazers and Suns, about deals that would send the No. 5 pick to whomever is willing to take Brian Cardinal’s awful contract (2 years, $13 million left). The latest buzz has the Knicks talking to Memphis about a deal that would send David Lee and the expiring contract of Malik Rose to Memphis for No. 5 and Cardinal.
--Chad Ford, ESPN

Wow in a good way though. I honestly cannot think of a better rap insult than that at this moment. I'm not the biggest Shaq fan either, but he's certainly a more entertaining and engaging personality than the Black Mamba - who is most likely a complete tool.

Shannon, do you want to see the Knicks get rid of Lee?

i don't really want them to trade lee, but, if you'll allow me to go stephen a. on your ass... howwwwwevvvuuuh... i don't know how much more they're gonna get out of Lee, i think what you see is what you get, and if they were ever going to trade high on him now would be the time... also, if you can get the 5 and the 6 without taking on long term contracts you have to give it a shot.. you can get two high level prospects, trade one of the picks to shed a contract and still get a high level prospect with one of the picks... or, dare i say, attempt to package the 5 and the 6 to miami for the 2...

the options are a plenty.

old nba draft's are being played on nba tv right now... it's funny to hear craig sager and hubie brown criticize the hornets and the kings for taking kobe bryant and peja stojakovic over john wallace...

i don't really want them to trade lee, but, if you'll allow me to go stephen a. on your ass... howwwwwevvvuuuh... i don't know how much more they're gonna get out of Lee, i think what you see is what you get, and if they were ever going to trade high on him now would be the time... also, if you can get the 5 and the 6 without taking on long term contracts you have to give it a shot.. you can get two high level prospects, trade one of the picks to shed a contract and still get a high level prospect with one of the picks... or, dare i say, attempt to package the 5 and the 6 to miami for the 2...

the options are a plenty.

old nba draft's are being played on nba tv right now... it's funny to hear craig sager and hubie brown criticize the hornets and the kings for taking kobe bryant and peja stojakovic over john wallace...

Makes sense.

We were watching the 1986 draft at work last week (FYI, if you look long and closely enough, you'll see a very young NSW in the crowd), and it was mesmerizing. One of the most fucked up drafts of all-time.

Makes sense.

We were watching the 1986 draft at work last week (FYI, if you look long and closely enough, you'll see a very young NSW in the crowd), and it was mesmerizing. One of the most fucked up drafts of all-time.

Did they show all seven rounds of it(remember when the draft had that many rounds?)?

I'm looking at the results of that draft on nbadraft.net, and that draft class was unimpressive on the whole. Arvydas Sabonis was arguably the best player in that draft, if only he'd come over...but then again, let's face it, it was the Soviet Union and it was 1986...it wasn't going to happen.

I was also surprised to see that Drazon Petrovic wasn't taken until the third round, and Mark Price, Dennis Rodman, and Jeff Hornacek in the second round. All four are first-round calibre. The top 8 of that draft should have been, imho:

1.Sabonis
2.Bias(RIP)
3.Daugherty
4.Harper(don't think of his Bulls days, think of his Cavs/Clippers days when he was an explosive 20ppg scorer)
5.Petrovic
6.Rodman
7.Hornacek
8.Price

Back to Sabonis...if he HAD come over, that Blazers team would have been scary. It would've been the Blazers team that got to the Finals in 90 and 92, but with Sabonis instead of Kevin Duckworth.

Did they show all seven rounds of it(remember when the draft had that many rounds?)?

I'm looking at the results of that draft on nbadraft.net, and that draft class was unimpressive on the whole. Arvydas Sabonis was arguably the best player in that draft, if only he'd come over...but then again, let's face it, it was the Soviet Union and it was 1986...it wasn't going to happen.

I was also surprised to see that Drazon Petrovic wasn't taken until the third round, and Mark Price, Dennis Rodman, and Jeff Hornacek in the second round. All four are first-round calibre. The top 8 of that draft should have been, imho:

1.Sabonis
2.Bias(RIP)
3.Daugherty
4.Harper(don't think of his Bulls days, think of his Cavs/Clippers days when he was an explosive 20ppg scorer)
5.Petrovic
6.Rodman
7.Hornacek
8.Price

Back to Sabonis...if he HAD come over, that Blazers team would have been scary. It would've been the Blazers team that got to the Finals in 90 and 92, but with Sabonis instead of Kevin Duckworth.

We just watched part of the 1st round....saw Chuck Person get drafted then we called it a day. Ron Harper was awesome pre-knee surgeries, you need not remind me. Cavs had a great starting 5 back then.

I love listening to people talk about Sabonis in his prime. They all claim that he would have been amazing in the NBA. He still came over and played pretty well, considering all his knees had been through.

The thing about this draft that kills me is what the 76'ers did. Before the draft, they had the #1 and #23 picks in the draft, and Moses Malone on their team. So, they trade the #1 pick to Cleveland for Roy fucking Hinson. Then, they trade Moses and the #23 pick to Washington for Jeff I'm going to break my foot and never play for Philly Ruland and Crazy Cliff Robinson. Way to disintegrate your franchise in one fell swoop. So, if you saw young NSW at that draft, you'd see that he'd been crying. A lot.

What made this draft historic was the Bias death...but you also had William Bedford and his drug problems....Chris Washburn and his issues....Roy Tarpley, etc.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom