NBA Basketball 2007-08: The Thread Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that I did not think he was a good candidate to coach the Knicks.

Someone told me about Porter yesterday and I thought they were joking around.

On the biggest possession of the game, how does Kobe get covered by Ray Allen, get open and not receive the ball?

Great game tonight.

The Celtics totally dominated, until they decided it was in the bag midway through the fourth quarter. Gotta hand it to the Lakers, though - they never gave up and almost pulled it off.

I'm standing by my prediction that the Celtics take one of the games in LA and win this thing in 6.

I can see that. My default is to root for the Lakers since they're who I grew up watching, but I can't deny the quality ball the Celtics have been playing. Plus one of my coworkers is Leon Powe's brother and a really great guy, and it's nice to see his brother have a great game. The halftime piece was nice, too.

Ok, two major blunders in the game...and they were not by the players;

I do not know the name of the play by play guy in ABC, but he mentioned "Touchdown Celtics!" and also the fact that they were playing at Staples Center.

Did anyone else catch this?

My power went out right at 6:00pm PST. Right before the national anthem. It did not come back on til 9:53PM PST. That's almost 4 hours :censored: (Apparently the power was out for about 6000 people in my area, or so I've heard). Yes, I missed the game. I heard they were down by 12 at the half. And then someone called later in the evening saying they were down by 20+ at some point & had rallied back in the 4th. And I saw a few "highlights" on Sportscenter. :|

I hope the power can stay on Tuesday night. It was out last Tuesday for 45 minutes. And then for a couple minutes twice more that evening. And there's no heatwave to speak of here. Yet.

Carlos - where were you?!?!!?! I was hoping for updates. :grumpy:

It's as simple as this: If the Lakers want to win the title, they have to win all three in LA. All Boston has to do is take one out of three in LA, and the title is all but theirs. LA will not win both games 6 & 7 in Boston. They just won't. IF they take all three in LA, they'll have a SHOT at winning it all in game 6, but if they lose even one, Boston will be up 3-2 going home and they'll win one of games 6 & 7 to close it out. That's how I see it.

And I sincerely hope no one wants to use the term 'choked' with regards to the Celtics in Game 2. They dominated until halfway through the fourth quarter, got complacent, the Lakers had an amazing five or six minutes, and then they made defensive plays and hit their free throws when they counted the most to hold the Lakers off.

GO BOSTON.

Ok, two major blunders in the game...and they were not by the players;

I do not know the name of the play by play guy in ABC, but he mentioned "Touchdown Celtics!" and also the fact that they were playing at Staples Center.

Did anyone else catch this?

I don't think the "Touchdown Celtics" call by Breen was a mistake, just his way of calling the completed length of court pass by KG to Rondo for the layup. I actually liked the way he called the play.

Plus one of my coworkers is Leon Powe's brother and a really great guy, and it's nice to see his brother have a great game. The halftime piece was nice, too.
ABC couldn't have asked for a better game script for the night they were running the halftime piece on Powe.

Mark Jackson also said that Kobe was better than Jordan. I like Jackson a lot, but, yeah, these comments are a tad over the top.

Don't forget how Leon Powe going coast to coast reminded him of Dr. J in a dunk contest. I think Van Gundy had a slight coronary after that one.

And I must take Van Gundy's side in the Kevin McHale aspect of the discussion of best Celtic offensive players ever...Jackson was dismissing McHale like he was just an average player or something, Van Gundy certainly knew that McHale was pretty unstoppable in the post.

If they want to do comparison's of this year's Celts to yesteryear, a better comparison than Pierce to Bird would be Cassell to McHale, cause Danny Ainge once famously nicknamed McHale a "black hole", cause "once the ball goes into him, its not coming back out"...Cassell has very similar hun qualities. Difference is McHale twice shot over 60% FG for a season, and 55% for his career...SamIam...not so much.

2 to go.

And I must take Van Gundy's side in the Kevin McHale aspect of the discussion of best Celtic offensive players ever...Jackson was dismissing McHale like he was just an average player or something, Van Gundy certainly knew that McHale was pretty unstoppable in the post.

If they want to do comparison's of this year's Celts to yesteryear, a better comparison than Pierce to Bird would be Cassell to McHale, cause Danny Ainge once famously nicknamed McHale a "black hole", cause "once the ball goes into him, its not coming back out"...Cassell has very similar hun qualities. Difference is McHale twice shot over 60% FG for a season, and 55% for his career...SamIam...not so much.

2 to go.

i have much less of an issue with big's being black holes than with guards, 'cause they're usually taking much more high percentage shots.

mchale was a joy to watch... even though i mostly just saw the tail end and highlights. the up and under was a thing of beauty.

mchale was a joy to watch... even though i mostly just saw the tail end and highlights. the up and under was a thing of beauty.
He used to call it the "torture chamber" when he got the ball down low and he knew the guy guarding him was toast (which was almost anybody trying to guard him one on one), Herman Munster with low post moves...he really was a joy to watch.

I hated McHale more than any other Celtic, but, yes, he was fun to watch operate down low. I think he and Hakeem are the two best big men I've seen with the ball in the paint.

I'm reading through every post in the Pacino Voice. This makes Interference 4x more exciting.

This thread belongs on U2 Heaven, btw.

So...after all this time, after all the ups and downs in this coaching search, it appears that John Paxson has settled on Vinny Del Negro to be the new head coach of the Chicago Bulls.

The guy has never coached a team ever. He's been the Suns assistant general manager.

delnegro_promotion220.jpg

But he looks like such a hard worker...

I hated McHale more than any other Celtic, but, yes, he was fun to watch operate down low. I think he and Hakeem are the two best big men I've seen with the ball in the paint.

So you're the one...everybody else hated Ainge it seemed :)

I loved watching Olajuwon, amazing skill level especially for a big man. I'd take Hakeem over any center I've ever seen play though granted I'm too young to have seen Russell or Kareem at his peak.

If he's been the Suns asst. GM, then he should know like half of the Bulls roster by now, right? At least Deng.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom