NBA Basketball 2007-08: The Thread Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i would guess it's because of a lack of quality footage.

Also could depend on the copyright at the time. Now, every NBA game is the copyright of the league, but back then maybe in order to get a TV deal they had to forego keeping the copyright. And, yes, the footage/quantity of games televised could be really low. Wilt's 100 point game, for example, no TV at all, very disappointing.

Apparently Doug Collins to the Bulls isn't a done deal after-all.

My sources tell me that Reinsdorf (who is very close with Collins and considers him like a second son) wanted to "take a step back" from the hiring process to decide whether or not it would be in the Bulls best interest to hire Collins.

We will see I guess...

your sources, eh?

I can't believe I actually agree with you about something. :crack:

Hey, WildHoneyAlways, come on...what did I ever do to you? I thought we were friends!!! Your cracked-out smiley makes me sad. :(

I'm a White Sox fan, you're a White Sox fan, can't we all just get along?

I'm glad you agree with me about Boers and Bernstein, though. Those guys are hilarious. I've been listening to them for about 8 years now.

And while I was typing this post, the White Sox have erupted for 6 runs off of Zack Greinke....a pitcher that has been dominant all year.

This is a basketball thread, though, so I'll proceed to shut up now.

yeah, yeah. we're cool I guess. You do/say some crazy things though.

Boers and Bernstein are the best. If you like them you can't be all crazy.

Back to basketball, B & B think Flip Saunders would be a perfect fit for the Bull. . .

nba draft combine took place over the weekend... much like in the nfl these stats can be highly over-rated as to a player's actuall worth... but it's always fun to take a looksie anyways.

no step vertical leap (score in inches)
top 5
1. patrick ewing jr., 35
2. demarcus nelson, 34.5
3. bryce taylor, 34.5
4. derrick rose, 34.5
5. deron washington, 34.5

bottom 5
1. jiri hubalek - 20.5
2. vladamir golubovic - 21.5
3. aleks maric - 23
4t. david padgett - 24
4t. brian butch - 24

max vertical (in inches)
top 5
1. patrick ewing jr. - 42
2. oj mayo - 41
3. bryce taylor - 41
4t. eric gordon - 40
4t. deron washington
4t. derrick rose

bottom 5
1. jiri hubalek - 26
2. brian butch - 26.5
3t. vladimir golubovic - 27
3t. keith brumbaugh - 27
5. kentrell gransberry - 27.5

185 pound bench press (score in # of reps completed)
top 5
1. josh duncan - 26
2. joe alexander - 24
3. takias brown - 22
4. stanley burrell - 21
5. devon hardin - 20

the girlie men
bottom 6... all 6 players put up 185 lbs just two (2) times
-jiri hubalek
-keith brumbaugh
-donte green
-d.j. augustin
-mike taylor
-patrick ewing jr.

lane agility drill (seconds)
top 5
1t. l.r. mbah a moute - 10.54
1t. demarcus nelson - 10.54
3. sonny weems - 20.58
4. richard hendrix - 10.62
5t. jeremy pargo - 10.65
5t. brian roberts - 10.65

bottom 5
1. brook lopez - 12.77
2. chris daniels - 12.72
3. mark tyndale - 12.52
4t. takais brown - 12.47
5t. josh duncan - 12.47

3/4 court sprint (seconds)
top 5
1. sonny weems - 2.96
2. joe alexander - 2.99
3. eric gordon - 3.01
4t. derrick rose - 3.05
4t. brian roberts - 3.05

bottom 5
1. brook lopez - 3.57
2. chris daniels - 3.56
3. jiri hubalek - 3.54
4. brian butch - 3.52
5. david padgett - 3.45

overall top 5 athletes (based on average placing in each test)
1. demarcus nelson
2. l.r. mbah a moute
3. eric gordon
4. joe alexander
5. bryce taylor

worst 5 athletes
1. jiri hubalek
2. brian butch
3. brook lopez
4. chris daniels
5. kevin brumbaugh

for an extra giggle... ty lawson technicaly finished as the "4th" worst athlete, however he did not take the agility and speed drills, meaning that he got an automatic 99 totaled into his average placing. what that also means is that jiri hubalek, brian butch, and projected lottery pick brook lopez were sooooo bad athleticly that they finished behind a guy who didn't even take every test.

so they've got that going for them, which is nice.

lopez obviously will take the biggest hit from the combine, while joe alexander's stock should rise considerably with his high scores across the board.

Joe Alexander's speed in the sprint is a surprise to me. He seemed like one of those guys who'd perform poorly in combine-type drills while being able to simply play basketball. Also somebody is going to take Brook Lopez and end up regretting it (but they might at least have some company in the GM who takes Kevin Love - we shall see).

I could see Patrick Ewing Jr. being a nice energy guy off the bench someday. I haven't looked at any projections to see where he's expected to go...as a guy who IMO is a 6th man at best I can't imagine him going too high.

Speaking of the draft, why is everybody just taking it as a given that Derrick Rose will be the next Chris Paul/Deron Williams? That's a big damned assumption to make...not as big as "Harold Minor = Baby Jordan" but still a pretty big leap of faith. I'd take Beasley.

so the nba finally has a Finals that they can sell to the masses... and they're gonna put it on so that it ends when the majority of the population in the united states is asleep.

well done.

honestly... 9pm starts?

i understand if you want to put the games in LA on at 9pm. but the games in boston should start at 8.

i suppose it's better than 9:30 but eh... got knows there's goint to be hour long half times.

and to top it off, the scheduleing is just stupid.
game 1- thursday
game 2- sunday
game 3- tuesday
game 4- thursday
game 5- sunday
game 6- tuesday
game 7- thursday

they completely skip friday and saturday nights because friday/saturday is the lowest TV ratings... not that less people watch it, but more people watch it together... bars/parties, etc. tuesday/thursday/sunday more people will be at their homes, so the ratings will be oh so slightly higher. utterly ridiciulous.

Check out what Stern had to say today:

Wondering why all the Celtics-Lakers games for the Finals are scheduled for a 9:07 p.m. tip off?

NBA commissioner David Stern addressed the late starts on the East Coast in a Q&A session with sports radio WEEI's Dennis and Callahan this morning, arguing that the starts were that late in order to get more people to tune in nationwide.

"The ad rates only go up if the ratings go up," Stern said when pressed if ad dollars were a driving factor behind the late tip-offs. "The ratings only go up if there are more people watching and so NFL's Monday Night Football, they moved it to 8 p.m. starts and fewer people watched. So they moved it to 9 because that's where they were going to get the largest audience."

Stern was then asked why the Super Bowl was scheduled for a 6:30 p.m. start if the numbers showed more people tuned into NBA Finals games at the later hour.

"I don't know," Stern replied after a pause. "I don't know why. I don't know why ... we have had three networks, CBS, ABC, and NBC who have told us that despite the maniacal rantings of East Coast radio, that we would get the largest aggregation of our fans if we do it as close to 9 p.m. as possible."

Stern also responded the specific concern that young kids won't be able to watch the Finals with all the games potentially ending after midnight in Boston.

"Actually, when you ask kids about their fandom, the NBA is generating as many if not more fans among youths than any other sport, that's the reality," said Stern. "They're not watching TV in a significant way either, they're absorbing us in other ways. I can't even explain it because I don't live it, but we're doing great amongst those kids..."

What about the games on Sunday (Games 2 and 5 are scheduled for Sundays)? Did Stern consider starting those games earlier?

"Our network partners in that case [earlier starting times for the two Sunday games] tell us that there will be much lower accumulation of audience at that time... those kids (know how to operate) at TIVO, so they'll get a chance to look at it when they get up."

What a douchebag.

So Beasley is actually 6'7"? College height is kind of like Dominican age I guess. :confused:

What a douchebag.

Pretty much. Stern comes on the Fan all the time and he's always really pissy when Mike & Dog try to be critical of anything. But he comes off like a gigantic prick basically saying "we're getting plenty of young fans, who cares if they can actually WATCH the games or not".

Contrast that with the Red Sox, who have moved first pitch up to 6:00PM on Thursday so fans can get out in time to watch the Celtics.

What a douchebag.

word.gif

the girlie men
bottom 6... all 6 players put up 185 lbs just two (2) times
-jiri hubalek
-keith brumbaugh
-donte green
-d.j. augustin
-mike taylor
-patrick ewing jr.

Wow!

Girlie men is right. I'm a pretty average sized white guy with not a heck of a lot of natural physical ability and I could fucking bench press 185 twice when I was a junior in high school.

These guys want to play in the NBA? Seriously?

Well he could rock a big 70 Kool and the Gang 'fro and be 6'11" :) I'm a bit more interested in wingspan which in his case is good. I'd still take him #1.

more and more i want the knicks to take joe alexander.

He showed some very good ball skills during the few games I saw of him (NCAA tournament). Doing well in the workouts is obviously a plus.

Prince Luc Richard Mbah a Moute no doubt made himself a million bucks or so with his strong showing in the workouts as well; some team is going to convince themselves that the fact that he can't shoot beyond 2 feet isn't a problem.

Joe Alexander's speed in the sprint is a surprise to me. He seemed like one of those guys who'd perform poorly in combine-type drills while being able to simply play basketball. Also somebody is going to take Brook Lopez and end up regretting it (but they might at least have some company in the GM who takes Kevin Love - we shall see).

Kevin Love is about 10 times more likely to have a good NBA career than Brook Lopez, imo.

You think? I haven't seen a ton of Love but he seems like the kind of guy who plays a smart game but will have trouble with the athletes he'll have to face in the NBA. I hope I'm wrong as I like his game on the college level.

The Knicks could probably trade down and still take Alexander. Maybe if somebody a few picks back is really in love with Gordon or Augustin or Love (if he's still there). I wouldn't trade down too far though, getting outside the top 10 it will start getting dicey.

You think? I haven't seen a ton of Love but he seems like the kind of guy who plays a smart game but will have trouble with the athletes he'll have to face in the NBA. I hope I'm wrong as I like his game on the college level.

The Knicks could probably trade down and still take Alexander. Maybe if somebody a few picks back is really in love with Gordon or Augustin or Love (if he's still there). I wouldn't trade down too far though, getting outside the top 10 it will start getting dicey.

6 to new jersey for the 10 and 21

bada bing bada boom

Someone at work was talking about Love, saying that he'd been working out like an absolute madman since his season ended. He's, to me, the most intriguing player in the draft.

honestly if this was, say, pre 1994... when skill was more important than athleticism, there's no way love wouldn't be a top 5 pick. dude's built and plays like wes unseld. but the nba game has changed... american basketball has changed... we lose to teams we used to blow out 10 years ago, but hey, we look cool doing it.

if you put love on the right team in the right program with the right coach he could thrive. put him in the wrong place and he could get lost in the shuffle.

his outlet passes are a true thing of beauty. walton/unseled-esque. a true lost art.

meanwhile...

Lenn Robbins of the NY Post recaps the Knicks workout of potential draft prospects. UCLA’s Russell Westbrook and West Virginia’s Joe Alexander seemed to be the most intriguing. Westbrook is known as a “tough defender” and was impressive in the NCAA tournament scoring 22 points against Memphis and Derrick Rose. Alexander is described as extremely athletic and is quoted by Robbins as believing he is a perfect fit for Mike D’Antoni’s system since he can ” run the court and hit the corner three”.

i'd also like to add that it's been so long since the end of the conference finals that i find myself caring less and less about the finals, and actually forgot that they started tonight.

I think they should have started on Tuesday...with the added bonus being that since Stern and the network insist on no Friday or Saturday games you could have had the extra off-day falling when the teams had to travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom