NBA 2022-23 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Should be an interesting finish for the #1 seed in the East, which I actually believe is extremely important. Bucks up by 2 with 7 to play. I'm not actually sure who has the tiebreaker. I should look that up. But Boston could still go on a run and get it, especially if they beat Milwaukee this week. The fun part of the season is upon us.

Tiebreaker will be determined Thursday night. They have split 2 games thus far with the Celtics winning the Christmas Day Massacre and Bucks eeking out a win against the Celts JV team in the Valentine's Day Love Fest.

Tiebreaker will be determined Thursday night. They have split 2 games thus far with the Celtics winning the Christmas Day Massacre and Bucks eeking out a win against the Celts JV team in the Valentine's Day Love Fest.

Should be fun. I really think neither team wants to have to face the 76ers in round 2, not even because either team is in danger of losing, but I think not facing the 76ers is an easier path to the Conference Finals.

Then Lebron can complain that the league rescinding Luka's 16th tech (for no legitimate reason) knocked the Lakers out of the play in. (Though I suspect Dallas could have won without Big Mac Luka last night given the lineup the Pacers tossed out there, no Haliburton, no Hield, no Turner)
That would be something.

luka probably went with the "how do you know that i cursed if you don't speak Slovenian" excuse ;)

Should be fun. I really think neither team wants to have to face the 76ers in round 2, not even because either team is in danger of losing, but I think not facing the 76ers is an easier path to the Conference Finals.

Based on this season's results alone, I'd rather the Celts play Philly than Cleveland in the 2nd round.
Cleveland has given The C's fits, Celts are 1-3 vs. Cavs (all 3 losses in OT including the Grant Williams 0-2 free throws game recently) and 3-0 vs. Philly.
On paper Philly should be the tougher opponent, but Celts match up well with them and Embiid and Harden are both (surprise) showing sings of injury as we approach the playoffs.

That was as ugly a performance as you'll see.

Bucks have the #1 seed locked now.

In all seriousness, what's your gut feeling on the Celtics going into the playoffs? They are still the team I fear more than anyone, including all of the teams in the West, but they're obviously not firing on all cylinders heading into the playoffs. Can they turn the switch on?

Assuming the two play each other, if Milwaukee can make life hard on the perimeter and goad Tatum into hero ball (which seems to be his default), the Bucks should win that series handily.

In all seriousness, what's your gut feeling on the Celtics going into the playoffs? They are still the team I fear more than anyone, including all of the teams in the West, but they're obviously not firing on all cylinders heading into the playoffs. Can they turn the switch on?

There's definitely a focus/intensity issue currently. They lack the defensive tenacity they displayed last year. Could have something to do with coaching, Udoka definitely had them locked in last year, Mazzulla might not command the same level of respect and attention from the players.
They looked like they might have snapped out of it before last night's game, blowing out their 3 previous opponents (granted they were scrub teams Sacto, Indy and SA, but last night was a scrub team also). so my hope is last night is just a blip and they regain focus tomorrow and in the playoffs. Possible that after a finals trip last year, the regular season is something they just want to be over, but it's not a good sign.

That being said, I think barring injury the east champ and probably NBA champ is going to be either the Celts or the Bucks.
Nobody else in the east scares me, Philly just doesn't seem to have "it" and Cleveland is a player away from contention. Miami has grit but not enough firepower.

The west it seems every team is flawed. A perfectly healthy Phoenix team could make a run, but of course, Chris Paul. Plus KD will almost certainly get hurt again. I think I'd rate GS as the team to beat out west which is crazy as they are currently one loss from being a play in team, but they have that pedigree. Memphis is interesting.

There's definitely a focus/intensity issue currently. They lack the defensive tenacity they displayed last year. Could have something to do with coaching, Udoka definitely had them locked in last year, Mazzulla might not command the same level of respect and attention from the players.
They looked like they might have snapped out of it before last night's game, blowing out their 3 previous opponents (granted they were scrub teams Sacto, Indy and SA, but last night was a scrub team also). so my hope is last night is just a blip and they regain focus tomorrow and in the playoffs. Possible that after a finals trip last year, the regular season is something they just want to be over, but it's not a good sign.

That being said, I think barring injury the east champ and probably NBA champ is going to be either the Celts or the Bucks.
Nobody else in the east scares me, Philly just doesn't seem to have "it" and Cleveland is a player away from contention. Miami has grit but not enough firepower.

The west it seems every team is flawed. A perfectly healthy Phoenix team could make a run, but of course, Chris Paul. Plus KD will almost certainly get hurt again. I think I'd rate GS as the team to beat out west which is crazy as they are currently one loss from being a play in team, but they have that pedigree. Memphis is interesting.

Yeah I was wondering if maybe the coach had something to do with it. I do think the Celtics will turn it on though and we'll see a 7 game series between them and the Bucks. The Bucks are on right now but I always fear that their 3 point shooting will take a dump in the playoffs.

Yeah I was wondering if maybe the coach had something to do with it. I do think the Celtics will turn it on though and we'll see a 7 game series between them and the Bucks. The Bucks are on right now but I always fear that their 3 point shooting will take a dump in the playoffs.

Both teams rely heavily on the 3 (pretty much the league these days), so going cold from outside could be the death knell for either.

For very selfish reasons, I kind of want Boston to win tonight. I'm going to the Bucks vs Sixers Sunday night and I'm afraid Giannis will sit if the Bucks win tonight.

i am not allowed to gamble on nba, nhl, wnba or, uh, nba2k league... thank you very much.

i am fully on board team win less for wemby.

The Wiz have a very small chance at Wemby, don't think that 1 win will make any difference.
he's going t be a Piston, Spur or Rocket.
But let's face it, we've seen this movie twice before when the Wemby-esque prize was known as The Admiral & The Big Fundamental.
Spurs will get the top pick.

sure - but there's a big difference between having the 8th best chance and the 5th best chance - and one game most certainly can (and will) make a difference between 5th and 8th. 39.9% chance at a top 4 pick vs. 26.3% chance. 9.8% chance at the #1 overall vs. 6%.

with the win over the Celtics the Zards are now 2 games out of the 5th spot. with a loss it would have been just a game (and we play one of the teams we're chasing tonight).

thus then - we suck so much we can't even tank right.

the top 4 spots are more or less locked in place.

but then things are murky

5. portland - 32-44 - 39.9% chance at a top 4
6. orlando - 32-44 - 39.5% chance at a top 4
7. indiana - 33-44, 31.9% chance at a top 4
8. washington - 34-32, 26.3% chance at a top 4

beating boston cost us anywhere from 5 to 13%

my one hope - 2019.

very similar situation - in that the zards waited WAY too long to try and tank, but once they did they went HARD after improving their draft odds - to the point where ron baker was getting 40 minutes a night. lost to the knicks in a game where both teams were clearly trying to lose (so we won?) - which meant we jumped up (or down) two spots in the draft lottery.

the two teams we jumped?

memphis and new orleans - who ended up getting the #1 and #2 picks that year and selected Zion and Ja (the Ja/Wizards/Bullets jokes would have written themselves... alas).

there's a clear top 5 this year. total crapshoot from there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom