NBA 2022-23 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sports bettors, how much money would you have made betting that both the Miami Heat and the Florida Panthers would be 8s upsetting 1s?

Surely if such a bet for the intersection of probabilities existed, that’s Leicester City territory

I'm sure the odds were pretty good on the series price for each. Not sure if that would be something that could have been parlayed together.

Now that the Sacto Delly's have been eliminated. What team is Cobbler going to bandwagon on next season?
Delly is a UFA, so probably not back to the Kings.

Curry is a genius level basketball player.

Sacramento has a bright future.

The NBA had a major regular season problem before these playoffs - that problem has only gotten worse with a 6, 7 and 8 advancing to the second round.

need to look at the baseball model... wild card (i.e. play in) team doesn't get a home game. or at the very least cut the games back - instead of a 2-2-1-1-1? how about 2-2-3? Or 2-1-2-1-1? 3-2-2? take your pick. but make it harder for the team that coasts through the regular season to advance.

If money wasn’t involved, the obvious answer is that 16 teams in a 30 team league format is and always has been dumb. The league should expand to 32 and cut the play-in out of the picture.

If money wasn’t involved, the obvious answer is that 16 teams in a 30 team league format is and always has been dumb. The league should expand to 32 and cut the play-in out of the picture.

The 2 new teams could be the re-emergence of the Seattle Super Sonics and of course the Tasmania Jack Jumpers.

word is that expansion will happen once the new TV deal is finalized. Seattle and Vegas are the worst kept secret in the world - along with some realignment. Memphis in the east anybody?

the play in game? yea i don't think it's going anywhere. ratings have been good - and that's all that matters.

i do think there's a decent chance of a restructuring of how the play in is done. Maybe eliminate one of the games (7 is in automatically, 9 plays 10 for the right to play 8, etc.)

the best part of the lakers beating the snot out of memphis in game 6 wasn't that the grizzlies were shut up with such a resounding beat down... the best part was, well, this

word is that expansion will happen once the new TV deal is finalized. Seattle and Vegas are the worst kept secret in the world - along with some realignment. Memphis in the east anybody?

I listened to a very interesting podcast recently that said Mexico City is a significant sleeper destination for a franchise. Apparently the fan market there is huge and there are some high-roller financial interests making pitches.

and now for the starting line up of YOUR... TAS..MANIA.. JACK JUMPERS!!!

I like that you went to the effort of googling this and picked the team with the best name. FYI, Tasmania are finally getting their own AFL team, too.

LOlT THE BAYM, MATE

Loit is correct, Baym is miles off.

I listened to a very interesting podcast recently that said Mexico City is a significant sleeper destination for a franchise. Apparently the fan market there is huge and there are some high-roller financial interests making pitches.

If the league was fair, just and actually interested in expansion, Mexico City would definitely be one of the teams, and another in Canada. It's an absolute joke how US-centric the NBA is. I would introduce six teams; Mexico City Eagles, Vancouver-Kamloops-Calgary Bears, Honolulu Seals, Dakota Stallions (another joke is how some US states never get major teams), West Indies Cricketers and Australia Roos (the largest market for the NBA outside of the US).

I l

If the league was fair, just and actually interested in expansion, Mexico City would definitely be one of the teams, and another in Canada. It's an absolute joke how US-centric the NBA is. I would introduce six teams; Mexico City Eagles, Vancouver-Kamloops-Calgary Bears, Honolulu Seals, Dakota Stallions (another joke is how some US states never get major teams), West Indies Cricketers and Australia Roos (the largest market for the NBA outside of the US).

Vancouver had a team and due to poor attendance and heavy financial losses they moved to Memphis.

Which is why I've expanded it to Kamloops and Calgary. They can play big market teams like the Lakers, Celtics, Kings, Warriors and Heat in Calgary and Vancouver, and small market teams like the Jazz, Grizzlies, Cavs, Bulls, Bucks etc in Kamloops.

kamloops can barely support a junior hockey team but sure let's send giannis there for a couple games a year lmao

what you should have suggested is a team called the montreal alleyoopettes

Last edited:
That fault aside, it's gross that there isn't a major sports team in Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, New Mexico, the Dakotas, Nebraska, Iowa, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, South Carolina, Delaware, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine, no? What the fuck are those people supposed to do? Who do they support? They'd have no tie to anything. And you might as well throw Kansas in there too. Washington DC gets thrown a few bones with DC United and the Washington Freedom.

Ha putting an NBA team in the Dakota's would be like putting an AFL team in Alice Springs :).

Sioux Falls is the biggest metro in the Dakotas and yet its only the 176th biggest in the US.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_statistical_area.

There should be a Northern Territory AFL team, it's footy heartland, that splits its games between Darwin and Alice Springs. We'll eventually have a 20th team, but sadly, I fear it won't be NT.

Speaking of Tasmania and American capitalist pig dogs, this is a disgrace and the Warner brothers whoever they are had better allow it.

[tweet]1653234560518488065[/tweet]

That fault aside, it's gross that there isn't a major sports team in Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, New Mexico, the Dakotas, Nebraska, Iowa, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, South Carolina, Delaware, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine, no? What the fuck are those people supposed to do? Who do they support? They'd have no tie to anything. And you might as well throw Kansas in there too. Washington DC gets thrown a few bones with DC United and the Washington Freedom.

troll-hero.png

Do you ever listen to yourself? You’re so pent up with hate, it’s wild and clouds your ability to be objective.

The NBA would love nothing more than to have teams in Mexico City and Honolulu and more in Canada. There’s nothing that isn’t “fair” about this at all. Major sports leagues have to work hard at developing a presence in a market. If Mexico City wants a team, they need a team for sale, an investor willing to purchase the team and pay the relocation, and demonstration to the NBA that the market is viable. Relocation is BAD for any league and only a last option. For expansion, it’s the same deal, except you’re competing against other markets. Good luck telling someone Montreal or Mexico City or Honolulu would be a better expansion market than Las Vegas.

As mentioned, Vancouver had a team. It failed. Mexico City and Honolulu are not good markets for this (and Honolulu makes scheduling a logistic nightmare and extremely taxing for players for an 82 game season).

Your gimmicky trope here of “they’re not being inclusive of other countries” is just a way so espouse your hate. Cool.

It’s always hard to interpret tone, but to me cobl’s posts in this thread just come off as light hearted banter, albeit a bit trolly at times, but not hateful. Just my take

What you’re describing is at its surface. It doesn’t matter his superficial intent of the post was.

I’ve seen this shit before. Picture this.

A person can’t help but make gay jokes as a go to at first opportunity (but they’re just kidding).
A person can’t help but make racist jokes as a go to at first opportunity (but they’re just kidding).
A person can’t help but make prejudiced jokes towards immigrants as a go to at first opportunity (but they’re just kidding).

They’re always just kidding. Because they’re light-hearted people who “don’t take things too seriously” i.e. a free pass to keep doing what they’re doing.

Cobbler, I’m not trying to equating you to a racist/homophobe/whatever. But the logical pattern follows. You’ve been asked to stop doing something that makes someone uncomfortable or unhappy but you can’t help yourself because you feel some which way. I’ve said it virtually every time you do it. You once told me I needed to relax because I’m also a liberal (so therefore I need to be hypercritical of myself for things I didn’t do?). I’ve seen people discomfort with the word “cunt” to which you declared “American exceptionalism” because people supposedly aren’t respecting your dialect.

Nobody should have to explain why those things are wrong.

Hey LN7. I take your point. I also think that you have copped more shit than most people over this forum’s history, and that a lot of it has been really unfair, and I don’t think that’s right. I don’t recall making that comment, I’m sure I did, and have probably said more than that as well. So I’m not interested in shitting on you here.

In this instance, I disagree with you. This is completely, utterly me being a silly boy who enjoys the banter with you all on this topic. I have no idea what I’m talking about when it comes to the NBA. None. I don’t know anything compared to any of you. So, I’ve deliberately leant into that and made what I think is a pretty funny joke, where I’m posting as if what I’m saying is factual or informed when I know full well that it’s completely idiotic. I think most people here also understand that and enjoy getting in on the joke with me, and laughing AT me (this would have stopped being fun ages ago if people just ignored it). I know that Delly is a complete irrelevancy, which is why it’s fun to pretend that I think he’s some sort of basketball god. Of course the NBA is US-centric. It’s the fucking NBA. There’s not a chance in hell they’ll place a team in any of those markets. I’m just having fun, and, I’ll be honest, I’m going to keep making these stupid jokes until it stops being fun.

I'll vouch for cobl. Good guy. We all have our moments but he's always been consistently a very nice guy and easy to get along with.

I'll vouch for cobl. Good guy. We all have our moments but he's always been consistently a very nice guy and easy to get along with.

Have you met him in person? Bit of a cunt, actually.

:wink:

Very nice indeed, respectable house guest.

Cunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom