NBA 2021 and beyond: Let's Talk Lakers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Budenholzer's regular season win pct. is .589 (and that includes his last year in Atlanta at 24-58, .293) and playoffs its .514, definitely an issue.

I know they won last night... thanks, Bruce!... but this right here is why Milwaukee will never win anything the way they currently play.

https://twitter.com/rod_strickland/status/1403199271453691905

this... this shit don't work in the playoffs - especially in the later rounds. He's giving you a wide open 15 foot jumper. If you can't take it? Well then you need to be taking less shots off the dribble in the half court and more shots in the post or off basket cuts.

Giannis is a monster in the regular season playing this way. He's guardable in the post season. When everyone knows that you're never going to pull up and shoot a jumper, it's easier to game plan for (it's also a bit of an indictment of the threes or layups over-analytical approach, alas - different conversation for a different day)

Are players really that scared of mid-range in today's game? I know he knocks those down over and over in practice.

Are players really that scared of mid-range in today's game? I know he knocks those down over and over in practice.

I think it’s a more complex science than that - over the course of a game, once you take into account fouls, turnovers, FG%, etc., longer jumpers just aren’t lucrative.

I know they won last night... thanks, Bruce!... but this right here is why Milwaukee will never win anything the way they currently play.

https://twitter.com/rod_strickland/status/1403199271453691905

this... this shit don't work in the playoffs - especially in the later rounds. He's giving you a wide open 15 foot jumper. If you can't take it? Well then you need to be taking less shots off the dribble in the half court and more shots in the post or off basket cuts.

Giannis is a monster in the regular season playing this way. He's guardable in the post season. When everyone knows that you're never going to pull up and shoot a jumper, it's easier to game plan for (it's also a bit of an indictment of the threes or layups over-analytical approach, alas - different conversation for a different day)

It's not just that. I can live with Giannis not taking that shot, but it's the complete lack of imagination on offense. Even though the Bucks won, I was furious and want Coach Bud gone. That was the worst offensive game plan I've ever seen. Everything is ISO, and Giannis should be benched every time he attempts a 3. I see the Nets winning this one in 5.

I think it’s a more complex science than that - over the course of a game, once you take into account fouls, turnovers, FG%, etc., longer jumpers just aren’t lucrative.
I know it's not being "scared," per se, it's adhering rigidly to a coaching philosophy and league trend that has been phasing out mid-range jumpers based on the statistics you cited. But really, as Mikal, said, the larger issue is a lack of imagination on offense in general.

In some ways, yes - players are trained to think that the midrange is a bad shot. And yes, there are stats that back that up. But there's a time and place. When you completely eliminate even OPEN mid range jumpers from your game? You become predictable, especially in the playoffs when everyone is good.

When your entire offense eliminates it, you become the Bucks.

It's another one of those "works in the regular season but needs to be adjusted in the postseason" kind of deals. Yes - over the length of the regular season you're better off shooting a three or a layup. But the playoffs are different. If teams know that's all you'll do, they'll game plan accordingly.

Analytics crazy folk like to point to "small sample sizes" and everything adjusting to the mean over the long haul. Which is fine - but the playoffs aren't the long haul. The playoffs ARE a small sample size. And if you can't/won't adjust? You're not winning.

Specifically to Giannis though? Likely a mix of not wanting to shoot a mid range shot combined with a total lack of self confidence in the shot come game time.

I know it's not being "scared," per se, it's adhering rigidly to a coaching philosophy and league trend that has been phasing out mid-range jumpers based on the statistics you cited. But really, as Mikal, said, the larger issue is a lack of imagination on offense in general.

Imagine the psychological effect of being told it’s a bad shot but taking it anyways, even if it’s not that bad. I’m sure that doesn’t impact all players. So maybe they are “scared” or “worried.”

I’m sure at some point its general openness will become en vogue the same way deep threes became cool when proven effective.

Can we talk more about Bruce Brown taking the last two shots in a one point game in a team that also has KD and Kyrie. And they weren't even open looks!

Dude is going to look at Harden when he gets healthy and say "nah, we good".

So a best out of 3 series now. So many questions. Will Harden and/or Irving come back? Will the Bucks be able to sustain how they looked in Game 4?

So a best out of 3 series now. So many questions. Will Harden and/or Irving come back? Will the Bucks be able to sustain how they looked in Game 4?
If those guys don't play the Bucks have instantly flipped the matchup problem. The same issues that existed previously are still there (how many charges did Giannis have??) but the Nets are just not that good without those guys.

If those guys don't play the Bucks have instantly flipped the matchup problem. The same issues that existed previously are still there (how many charges did Giannis have??) but the Nets are just not that good without those guys.

Yep, plus PJ Tucker is playing phenomenal defense. If somehow the Bucks can take this series (though I'm not counting on it), it'll be interesting to see if how they play will be good enough to take it all the way. The cynical Wisconsin sports fan in me says that neither guy will return but the Bucks will still find a way to blow it, lol.

the Nets are just not that good without those guys.

And Durant definitely has trust issues with the rest of the roster. How many times yesterday did the ball never leave his hands on an entire possession...at least a kajillion.
He forced a lot of tough/contested shots after Kyrie was gone.
If that happens again, Bucks should be in good shape (so clearly with that statement I just dealt them the death knell, sorry Mikal).

And Durant definitely has trust issues with the rest of the roster. How many times yesterday did the ball never leave his hands on an entire possession...at least a kajillion.
If that happens again, Bucks should be in good shape (so clearly with that statement I just dealt them the death knell, sorry Mikal).

LOL all good, I did too. I am shocked that this series is tied. I thought they were going to be done in 5 games.

Well he's played like, what, 20 games with those guys?

The #1 question for the Nets was health - and ironically the guy who most people thought would probably be the one to wear down is the only guy left standing.

Bucks have a huge opportunity here. Very similar to Houston a few years back when they had the chance to knock out Golden State after KD hurt his calf.

Just don't tell Mikal how that one turned out.

At this point with who's left, I'd like to see a Suns/Bucks finals.
ABC/ESPN might not want that (I'm sure at this point they want Clippers/Nets).

Well he's played like, what, 20 games with those guys?

The #1 question for the Nets was health - and ironically the guy who most people thought would probably be the one to wear down is the only guy left standing.

Bucks have a huge opportunity here. Very similar to Houston a few years back when they had the chance to knock out Golden State after KD hurt his calf.

Just don't tell Mikal how that one turned out.

Haha hence why I think the Bucks will blow it. I can picture Coach Bud now "Guys! We have a huge opportunity! The game plan will be Giannis ISO and have him take at least 10 threes!"

Dude really needs to stop taking 3s.

It's mind boggling. I actually suggested earlier that accountability needs to start happening when he takes a 3. Like bench him for a minute. The guy doesn't need to add a jump shot to his game, imo. Ok maybe a better mid-range, but I'd rather him continue to fine tune his post game and just be a dominant big now that they have Middleton and Holiday.

Back
Top Bottom