NBA 2021 and beyond: Let's Talk Lakers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it's amazing how one sprained ankle can take you from probably being fired coach mike budenholzer to the verge of being forever known as nba title winning coach mike budenholzer.

While I have been one of the loudest anti Bud guys, I will say that it's not a sprained ankle that has gotten him in better graces, it's the fact that he has the Bucks finally playing like they should. Since late in the Nets series, it's like he finally learned how to run the offense, he's held Giannis in check for the most part, and has this team playing really good defense. Bucks have now won 6 of their last 8 and the 2 losses were due to unreal performances by KD and Trae.

the stuff about Jax being racist is going to get the attention - and i have zero idea whether or not that is true or not on its own merits - but the rest of the discussion, like trying to say that Jordan telling Steve Kerr to be ready for a pass at the end of game 6 (a pass he received) was some scripted part of MJ speaking nice for the cameras for future documentaries? it just comes off as a sad reach.

https://twitter.com/dpshow/status/1409537922978754562

the stuff about Jax being racist is going to get the attention - and i have zero idea whether or not that is true or not on its own merits - but the rest of the discussion, like trying to say that Jordan telling Steve Kerr to be ready for a pass at the end of game 6 (a pass he received) was some scripted part of MJ speaking nice for the cameras for future documentaries? it just comes off as a sad reach.

Scottie's current jam:

I knooooow. Hyperextend knees and ankles turned from landing on a foot totally only happened because of the lack of an off season! Should have listened to the most powerful player in sports who somehow didn't want to say anything when he had an opportunity to actually do something because delaying the season would have cost him millions of dollars and interfered with his movie release.

Good to be talking Lakers, though.

Last edited:
There are more tests today, but looks like the team thinks it's a severe ACL injury for Giannis.

The fact that I went from thinking this was actually the Bucks' year to facing the reality of losing Giannis for the rest of the playoffs and all of next year would be much worse if I wasn't so used to being let down.

There are more tests today, but looks like the team thinks it's a severe ACL injury for Giannis.

The fact that I went from thinking this was actually the Bucks' year to facing the reality of losing Giannis for the rest of the playoffs and all of next year would be much worse if I wasn't so used to being let down.

hoping it's not the worst.

Last edited:

Man I hope its not that severe.

With all these injuries it's almost as if LeBron was right to--

Ahh, forget it. He's just a whiner and a weak sister.

As Headache already pointed out, these injuries have zero to do with Covid shortened off season or anything Lebron was complaining about, if guys were getting muscular injuries then you might have a point, if guys got those muscular injuries in January and maybe even February you might have a point.
These injuries are not because of a lack of off season recovery/training time.

As Headache already pointed out, these injuries have zero to do with Covid shortened off season or anything Lebron was complaining about, if guys were getting muscular injuries then you might have a point, if guys got those muscular injuries in January and maybe even February you might have a point.
These injuries are not because of a lack of off season recovery/training time.

if you want to make the argument that the condensed season has led to more wear and tear that could make certain injuries more severe and/or recovery time longer? on a case by case basis you'd have a point.

but a blanket "oh, hey, i told you so" statement about injuries by lebron is not just inaccurate but also highly disingenuous.

the three most powerful people in the sport are adam silver, chris paul and lebron james. everyone knew what the financial situation was if the league didn't hit every benchmark prior to agreeing to the deal - and not just this year, but in following years as well. if lebron truly felt this strongly, as a former NBPA veep/best friend of the current union president and overall crazy influential guy? yea - he could have put up a bit more a stink back in the fall.

and the injuries themselves - a sprained ankle or hyperextended knee have absolutely nothing to do with a condensed season. we're not seeing a rash of achilles tendons popping, non-contact ACL tears or severe muscle pulls/tears.

you'd have a greater argument if giannis' injury was non contact. it wasn't. his legs got tangled in the air and he landed crazy awkward.

trae young landed on a ref's foot.

kyrie and donovan mitchell landed on other players.

joel embiid landing awkwardly with his leg bent back behind his giant body has nothing to do with a condensed season.

james harden being woefully out of shape has nothing to do with the condensed season.

lebron pulling CP3's arm out of his socket has nothing to do with a condensed season.

pat bev head butting devin booker's nose has nothing to do with a condensed season.

CP3 getting the 'Vid has everything to do with the 'Vid and nothing to do with a condensed schedule.

again - want to say that some of these leg injuries may be more severe and/or take longer to recover because of wear and tear issues from the condensed season? not going to argue against that. there is absolutely some truth to it.

you want to say the condensed schedule hurts injury prone guys like AD more than others? yea, it probably does.

but injuries also, ya know, happen. the warriors had KD and Klay go down to debilitating injuries in the same series. it happens. and AD's always hurt. the same thing that caused the condensed season also helped give AD 3 months of rest prior to the playoffs - which undoubtedly helped keep him from wearing down and led to the lakers getting a ring. 'bron doesn't want to talk about that, though, does he?

it's an unfortunate turn of events - and even more unfortunate that it seems like every major injury is happening to a star player vs. role players - which only further shows that while yes, this is a physically taxing season, there's also some crazy bad luck involved as nobody could honestly make the argument that the star player is more impacted than everyone else by the condensed schedule.

Last edited:
Well holy crap and color me shocked. Just hoping somehow he can return this series or his timetable for the playoffs probably won't matter.

Glad the schedule wasn't condensed even more because there probably would have been structural damage.

The fact that Chris Paul got called out on national television for flopping on that Cousins swipe, of ALL incidents with Chris Paul, is total bullshit. Cousins’ action doesn’t belong in basketball. Eject players who do that shit.

pat bev's a punk.

also, chris paul after being shoved by pat bev

source.gif

I cannot help thinking that the widespread injuries we have seen in the last few years (this started pre-COVID) are a consequence of basically SSOL variants being a core philosophy for a large chunk of the league. It takes a toll on players.

Kinda weird that in the NBA we’ve got this “all western” final (even though not technically) and in the NHL an all eastern one

"Man, one thing about our league and its players is everything is always a conversation," Paul said during Finals media day on Monday. "There's a ton of guys on the executive committee who are working hard on things right now, as we speak -- day in and day out, traveling. I wish you guys knew all the things that are going on. So, decisions that are made as far as playing or not playing, players are always involved in it.

"Injuries are always unfortunate. You hate to have them. But just like when we went to the bubble, everything was discussed as far as the players and the full body of players. Everything that's good for this guy and that guy might not be the same for that guy, but everything has always been a conversation, and it's going to continue to be that way. So, if people don't like it, then you know everybody has the same opportunity to be a part of all these conversations."

Chris Paul, talkin' Lakers

I cannot help thinking that the widespread injuries we have seen in the last few years (this started pre-COVID) are a consequence of basically SSOL variants being a core philosophy for a large chunk of the league. It takes a toll on players.
Basketball injuries have been going up for years, and not just in the NBA, because of the AAU system that has overtaken our youth development.

Kids play too many games without proper recovery time at too young an age, and they develop wear and tear injuries at 24 that players used to develop at 34. They specialize in a sport way way too soon, and train harder and longer in their early teens than ever before.

It's not even a secret, everybody knows it, but nothing changes because there is too much money at stake for sneaker companies.

Last edited:
Going into these Finals with zero expectations. Sure I'll be disappointed if the Bucks don't win, but it's just so cool that they're here. Been cheering these guys on since Ricky Pierce and Jack Sikma in the 80's and have been through so many awful years to the point where I used to just pick a team in the playoffs to cheer for because I knew the Bucks wouldn't make it. So I'm going to try my best to just enjoy the ride even if the Bucks don't win the series.

Obviously Giannis' health is the key.
There's plenty of time for him to get healthy enough to help (game 7 is scheduled for February 31, 2869). And if he can be impactful by like game 3, Bucks have a decent chance. Without him, I see Suns in 5.

I'd like to see the Suns win just because the franchise has never had a title. I'm happy either way, though. Nice to see fresh faces in the championship round.

Back
Top Bottom