NBA 2021 and beyond: Let's Talk Lakers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm partial to the Jazz dark city jerseys they had been wearing at home recently, but yeah suns are pretty cool too.

And hey not bad for your Raptors moving up to the #4 pick

What an ending to that Suns game. I'm not sure I've ever seen a better executed inbounds play with 1 second left.
You don't watch enough Suns basketball...

https://youtu.be/t4gDP_sS7Sw

All kidding aside, it's baffling that an NBA coach and/or player doesn't know that there is no basket interference on an inbounds pass.

If you can't shoot (which you can't from out of bounds), then you can't interfere with a shot.

Just put all your bigs at the rim and tell em to knock it down NFL Hail Mary style.

Next year's are going to be a disaster for pretty much every NBA team. That's all I have to say about that.

E2L724aXoAI-Tmi.png

The "font" on these Heat unis looks like one of those ransom notes you see cut out of newspaper in an old episode of Columbo or something.

I’d like to know/hear more about this.

From an outsiders perspective, the criticism seems quite harsh, as I would imagine he’s his own worst critic and already feeling intense heat, but I don’t know the full story around his history and potential egomania (aside from him being a young man who’s pretty pleased to be earning a fuck tonne of money and have people blow smoke up his arse).

I’d also like to know your viewpoint on Naomi Osaka and her not doing press conferences.
This is not really about media or fan criticism. He won't even listen to his coaches. They gave him a shooting coach for his first 18 months in the league, who he then subsequently dumped to get trained by his brother for the last three years. His previous coach, Brett Brown, and his assistants, all insisted that he needed to shoot more and work on it. Brown would openly say to the press "I want him to take a three pointer per game." He went the opposite way and shot less, and often intentionally didn't bother shooting free throws in practice as a joke. Brown got fired, and they brought in a coach in Doc Rivers who just refused to ever answer any questions about whether his offensive limitations were a problem, in what I can only guess was an attempt to "stand up" for his guy because he knew he had no other choice.

SImmons himself answers questions about not shooting by saying "how many assists did I have?" and "look at my defense." He doesn't listen to anyone, not even the people who know better and are trying to help him.

I have no particular opinion on Osaka not doing press conferences, I frankly don't really care that she turned it down. I'm sure she could have handled it better, but her not handling it well was caused by the same issues that made her want to avoid it in the first place.

Someone will trade for Simmons. Zero doubt. For all of his very noticeable flaws, he's still just 24 years old and under team control for a number of years.

He's a unicorn like defender, freakish athlete and great passer. He's playing currently with another player whose skill set directly clashes with his own.

If he's willing to change up his game a bit he could absolutely be a Draymond Green on steroids type player for somebody - but that's not happening on a team with Embiid.

They don't fit, they never have, they never will.
I would argue that Simmons' halfcourt offensive game does not fit with anybody, if your intent is to make a deep run in the playoffs. He's too easy to take completely out of the game, because his only ability is to drive and pass, or stand around aimlessly and not even look for the ball.

Embiid's presence exacerbates it, no question, but I don't really think he fits with any roster anywhere.

Last edited:
I would argue that Simmons' halfcourt offensive game does not fit with anybody, if your intent it to make a deep run in the playoffs. He's too easy to take completely out of the game, because his only ability is to drive and pass, or stand around aimlessly and not even look for the ball.

Embiid's presence exacerbates it, no question, but I don't really think he fits with any roster anywhere.
He needs to get over his fear of shooting more than he needs to become a better shooter, if that makes any sense.

Draymond Green isn't afraid of shooting. Sometimes you wish he was. But he's an active and willing screener and an elite passer, and in his prime was the most versatile defender in the league.

Simmons can fit that mold if he's willing to. Obviously it would take him agreeing that he's not going to be the lead guard anymore. So I do think there's a role for him - but it would have to be the perfect situation.

Draymond is heading to the hall of Fame one day, but if he had been drafted by, say, Charlotte? He's a nice role player and nothing more.

Those two things (willingness to shoot and a position change) would probably need to go hand-in-hand, since his whole case for not shooting rests on having the ball in his hands and racking up assists. It would take a total change in mindset. We'll see.

Someone posted a highlight reel of Simmons shooting in the 2016 Summer League and I wanted to vomit. He was casually and comfortably pulling up from 20 feet and knocking down shots off the bounce with form that looked decent enough.

Never in a million years would I have guessed Hawks/Suns as the championship matchup at the beginning of the season. That would be so left field and very welcome. Lots of young talent with two teams playing their best.

But...I'm still hoping the Bucks pull through. I want this for Giannis. It's not like his window is closing, someone will use him to build a superteam either way, but he catches a lot of shit.

This is not really about media or fan criticism. He won't even listen to his coaches. They gave him a shooting coach for his first 18 months in the league, who he then subsequently dumped to get trained by his brother for the last three years. His previous coach, Brett Brown, and his assistants, all insisted that he needed to shoot more and work on it. Brown would openly say to the press "I want him to take a three pointer per game." He went the opposite way and shot less, and often intentionally didn't bother shooting free throws in practice as a joke. Brown got fired, and they brought in a coach in Doc Rivers who just refused to ever answer any questions about whether his offensive limitations were a problem, in what I can only guess was an attempt to "stand up" for his guy because he knew he had no other choice.

SImmons himself answers questions about not shooting by saying "how many assists did I have?" and "look at my defense." He doesn't listen to anyone, not even the people who know better and are trying to help him.

I have no particular opinion on Osaka not doing press conferences, I frankly don't really care that she turned it down. I'm sure she could have handled it better, but her not handling it well was caused by the same issues that made her want to avoid it in the first place.

Thanks for this man, appreciate it, and well said :up:

Never in a million years would I have guessed Hawks/Suns as the championship matchup at the beginning of the season. That would be so left field and very welcome. Lots of young talent with two teams playing their best.

But...I'm still hoping the Bucks pull through. I want this for Giannis. It's not like his window is closing, someone will use him to build a superteam either way, but he catches a lot of shit.

I’d normally be freaking out, but I kind of felt relieved after last night’s loss because it seemed like the perfect storm of Atlanta playing the absolute best they could and the Bucks shooting horrible behind the arc (and some defensive issues that will be adjusted) and we still
only lost by 3. Now if they drop Game 2, then will I’ll just assume it’s just another year of Wisconsin sports.

Last edited:
these bucks uniforms look like someone made some generic "milwaukee" unis for a low budget straight-to-netflix basketball movie and then sold them to the real team.

these bucks uniforms look like someone made some generic "milwaukee" unis for a low budget straight-to-netflix basketball movie and then sold them to the real team.

Yep, looks like they are the opponents in a remake of The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh.

Back
Top Bottom