NBA 2021 and beyond: Let's Talk Lakers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry peef. At least you still have Embiid.

Simmons is so confusing. There are moments where he's storming down the court on a fast break and looks like a young LeBron and then there are moments where he has a wide open dunk and passes the ball. I hope he can figure it out someday but he's a mess right now. It's sad.

I am following scores here and there, sad to see two Aussies get eliminated in the past few days.

What's the order of favourites from this point? I feel like I might go for Milwaukee. Seems like the last non MAJOR major town left.

Milwaukee is a pretty smol city in terms of sports franchises, but Phoenix is equally as sucky in terms of sports franchise hunger for championships or just flat out winning something. Though the 2000s suns were a force to be reckoned with.

Personal preference:

1. Bucks
2. Clippers - I live in LA and the Clippers of all teams winning a championship over the LeBron/Davis Lakers would be hilarious
3. Suns
4. Hawks

But I'm fine with any of them. It's a pretty wholesome group.

That's why I'm leaning towards the Bucks. Cos I remember the Steve Nash era. I don't remember shit about the Bucks, ever.

The last time Milwaukee has had a team in the Championship was the 1984 Brewers, and they lost the World Series, so the City is definitely hungry for a championship. It’s also the city responsible for Trump losing Wisconsin. ?

With that said, less than 2 hours north is where the Packers play, and we’ve been blessed with 30 years of winning (2 Super Bowls as well).

With that said, Wisconsin sports has seen a lot of choking and “so close” situations over the last 20 years.

Weren’t the Bucks in the ECF in the Ray Allen years at least once?

Back in 2001, lost to the Sixers in 7. Ray Allen, Sam Cassell, and Glen Robinson. That was such a fun team. Unfortunately a couple years later, the Bucks front office thought it would be brilliant to trade away Allen for a soon to be retired Gary Payton. I don't know that I've ever been more upset with an organization. It's been a tough road back. Even Milwaukee fans were pissed at the Giannis draft pick. Many thought it was a wasted pick for some tall skinny kid from Greece. Alas, here we are.

Sorry peef. At least you still have Embiid.

Simmons is so confusing. There are moments where he's storming down the court on a fast break and looks like a young LeBron and then there are moments where he has a wide open dunk and passes the ball. I hope he can figure it out someday but he's a mess right now. It's sad.

He's an egomaniac who won't listen to constructive criticism and insists on everyone around him coddling him and proclaiming that there are no problems with his offensive game. I do not feel bad for him in the slightest. Every issue he has was clearly avoidable and entirely self-inflicted. It's easy to "do press conferences every time" when you demand everyone toe a company line that everything's peachy with your game. Doc Rivers questioned the intelligence/sanity of people throughout the season when they pointed out Simmons' offensive issues. How's that working out now?

Doc also coached a miserable series. Embiid and Curry were the only two who showed up with any semblance of consistency.

if the sixers had agreed to the kyle lowry trade at the deadline, there's no question in my mind that they'd be in the ECF, and likely reach the finals.

Just glancing at Simmons' contract...yikes. What team is going to be willing to take that on given his obvious limitations?

Back in 2001, lost to the Sixers in 7. Ray Allen, Sam Cassell, and Glen Robinson. That was such a fun team. Unfortunately a couple years later, the Bucks front office thought it would be brilliant to trade away Allen for a soon to be retired Gary Payton. I don't know that I've ever been more upset with an organization.

This was in the purple uni years yeah?

Back in 2001, lost to the Sixers in 7. Ray Allen, Sam Cassell, and Glen Robinson. That was such a fun team. Unfortunately a couple years later, the Bucks front office thought it would be brilliant to trade away Allen for a soon to be retired Gary Payton. I don't know that I've ever been more upset with an organization. It's been a tough road back. Even Milwaukee fans were pissed at the Giannis draft pick. Many thought it was a wasted pick for some tall skinny kid from Greece. Alas, here we are.

I still don't know what the Bucks were thinking. Payton was 34, at the end of his prime, and on an expiring contract. You're gonna trade Ray Allen, at the beginning of his prime, for a 34 year old who's gonna be a free agent and who wouldn't want to be in Milwaukee? Payton only played 28 games for Milwaukee before signing with the Lakers that summer. Awful deal.

This was in the purple uni years yeah?

Yes.

636626683216177032-GMTI-PHOTOJ2001Q2M06T29H13145300-5586079.JPG

8c19b4655b443b906c5bdff1355e687d.jpg

Man....add Tim Thomas and Scotty Williams to that group. Wow they were so fun. It's a shame it was such a short lightning in a bottle.

Just glancing at Simmons' contract...yikes. What team is going to be willing to take that on given his obvious limitations?

Would have to be a team looking to unload their own bad contract (something like Headache trading John Wall this past offseason for Russell Westbrook),

The issue with Simmons is that you really need to pair him with a good shooting center, and there are not many teams that have a need at PG AND a stretch 5. Hollinger proposed a trade centered on Simmons-LaVine, but I don't know why the Bulls would do this even in LaVine's walk year.

Someone will trade for Simmons. Zero doubt. For all of his very noticeable flaws, he's still just 24 years old and under team control for a number of years.

He's a unicorn like defender, freakish athlete and great passer. He's playing currently with another player whose skill set directly clashes with his own.

If he's willing to change up his game a bit he could absolutely be a Draymond Green on steroids type player for somebody - but that's not happening on a team with Embiid.

They don't fit, they never have, they never will.

He's also going through some pretty fucked up off the court issues involving his sister and step brother/manager - so may explain how his yipps have spiraled so much this postseason.

Regardless - dude needs a fresh start. Probably out of the spotlight in some mid to small market.

Last edited:
He's an egomaniac who won't listen to constructive criticism and insists on everyone around him coddling him and proclaiming that there are no problems with his offensive game. I do not feel bad for him in the slightest. Every issue he has was clearly avoidable and entirely self-inflicted. It's easy to "do press conferences every time" when you demand everyone toe a company line that everything's peachy with your game.

I’d like to know/hear more about this.

From an outsiders perspective, the criticism seems quite harsh, as I would imagine he’s his own worst critic and already feeling intense heat, but I don’t know the full story around his history and potential egomania (aside from him being a young man who’s pretty pleased to be earning a fuck tonne of money and have people blow smoke up his arse).

I’d also like to know your viewpoint on Naomi Osaka and her not doing press conferences.

part of the deal with being paid oodles and oodles of money to play a sports ball game is that you have to do a certain amount of required press.

the media can certainly be assholes, but it comes with the gig. without publicity, you're not getting paid 30 million dollars to miss more free throws in a single postseason than steve nash missed in his entire postseason career.

you can't talk a big game when things are going well and then hide when things aren't.

I don't think the traditional press is necessary to drum up publicity anymore. These athletes are media machines in their own right, and I think they should have the autonomy to create their own narratives. Look at Kyrie: refusing to talk to the press was more of a story than anything he would have said in the post-game pressers.

What an ending to that Suns game. I'm not sure I've ever seen a better executed inbounds play with 1 second left.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom