NBA 2021-22: Ben Simmons and Kyrie Walk Into A Bar While Talking About The Lakers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can miss the clinching game as I have tickets to see Midnight Oil on the 16th.

I got that part right at least.
Midnight Oil was great and mercifully I didn't see one second of the game. Heard the last 5+ minutes on the radio in the car.

Congrats to GS. Can't win turning the ball over 22 times that's for shit sure.

I see two major problems for Boston, and they both center around Marcus Smart.

1) They don't have a real point guard to settle things down when the turnovers start getting out of control. The closest thing they have to a vet who can settle things down is Average Al.

2) Flops don't work in the playoffs. They really don't work in the finals. He's taking it too far.

I get he's the heart of that team - but right now he's hurting them.
Clear as day they're going to need to figure this out.

Golden State exposed their lack of ball handlers and once they figure that out it was kind of over.

Dang it, I missed the game. I usually like to watch the last game of the season. Oh well. So, the Warriors keep their dynasty going.

this ends all debate about Steph and his place in the pantheon of NBA all time greats.

it also ends talk about Steve Kerr. i questioned his substitution patterns early - but jeez, the job he did holding this team together - and the buttons he pressed in the last 3 games, like putting Otto Porter into the starting lineup,? guy's got 9 rings. 5 as a player, 4 as a coach. he's in rarified air now.

and to think that this squad is going to add an influx of young talent .

warriors play the game the way it's supposed to be. they have unselfish stars - the ball has energy and pings all over the court - and they guard the crap out of you. if you turn the ball over against them? forget it - they're going to kill you in transition.

their organization is also incredibly first class in everything they do - at least in my experience and interaction with them. couldn't be happier for them.

and hey, that's a wrap - and time for the first real NBA offseason since 2019. and thank god for that in so many different ways.

draft next week - lackluster free agency begins end of the month. get that stove warming up.

your next nba basketball will be in the preseason in tokyo.

You're not wrong, but Tatum scoring more isn't necessarily a good thing. He played well despite not scoring the other day, because he drew the help in and didn't force shots. He simply found the open man and they knocked down shots at a crazy rate.

When Tatum gets too caught up in his own point total he can sometimes fall back into his old ways of dribbling the shit out of the ball while everyone else stands still and watches. This world be a great thing for Golden State, even if Tatum drops 40.

If he drops an efficient 30+ on a low shot total, keeping everyone involved? Yeaaaa GSW is in trouble.
Thinking about this... I think Tatum (and Brown) heard the talk about his lack of scoring game 1 and he started forcing things vs just keeping the ball moving - and that led to the massive amounts of turnovers.

It's always been Boston's Achilles heel - falling back into hero ball and forcing things vs just moving the ball and letting the action zone to you.

this ends all debate about Steph and his place in the pantheon of NBA all time greats.

it also ends talk about Steve Kerr. i questioned his substitution patterns early - but jeez, the job he did holding this team together - and the buttons he pressed in the last 3 games, like putting Otto Porter into the starting lineup,? guy's got 9 rings. 5 as a player, 4 as a coach. he's in rarified air now.

and to think that this squad is going to add an influx of young talent .

warriors play the game the way it's supposed to be. they have unselfish stars - the ball has energy and pings all over the court - and they guard the crap out of you. if you turn the ball over against them? forget it - they're going to kill you in transition.

their organization is also incredibly first class in everything they do - at least in my experience and interaction with them. couldn't be happier for them.

and hey, that's a wrap - and time for the first real NBA offseason since 2019. and thank god for that in so many different ways.

draft next week - lackluster free agency begins end of the month. get that stove warming up.

your next nba basketball will be in the preseason in tokyo.

There was debate about Steph?

For all the Reggie Millers and Ray Allens of history playing sort of the second-fiddle to all time greats, at minimum he is the best version of them. At minimum.

part of the debate about anyone these days is that there's too many damn hours to fill on these sports networks. it's like politics, but without worrying about life and death.

the 3-1 defeat followed by the two titles with KD kind of led to this narrative that Steph was just below the upper echelon of stars and wasn't on that upper upper level - that top 10 to 15 players of all time level.

He's on that level.

Aside from his all around greatness as a player - there are very few people who legitimately changed the way basketball is played. Steph Curry is on that list.

Mikan. Kareem. Jordan. Steph. And to be honest? 1/2 on that list are probably George Mikan and Steph Curry - in whichever order you'd like.

Last edited:
part of the debate about anyone these days is that there's too many damn hours to fill on these sports networks. it's like politics, but without worrying about life and death.

the 3-1 defeat followed by the two titles with KD kind of led to this narrative that Steph was just below the upper echelon of stars and wasn't on that upper upper level - that top 10 to 15 players of all time level.

He's on that level.

Aside from his all around greatness as a player - there are very few people who legitimately changed the way basketball is played. Steph Curry is on that list.

Mikan. Kareem. Jordan. Steph. And to be honest? 1/2 on that list are probably George Mikan and Steph Curry - in whichever order you'd like.

Hey now. Wilt Chamberlain literally rewrote the rules of the game after he discovered all the cheat codes. If that’s not changing the game then what is!?

Hey now. Wilt Chamberlain literally rewrote the rules of the game after he discovered all the cheat codes. If that’s not changing the game then what is!?
Wilt was dominant, no doubt.

Changing the game is different than just being dominant. Wilt didn't really change the way the game was played. If anything people were critical of how he played - saying that you couldn't win that way and pointing to Russell as proof.

Before George Mikan the lane was half the size as it is now. They literally changed the court design because of him.

Dunking was outlawed in college for a number of years and eventually the mandatory freshman red shirt year was down away with because of Kareem.

Jordan's influence is more off the court in how a superstar player is marketed, but there was a clear shift towards finding players that fit his mold afterwards.

You could make an argument for Patrick Ewing - as the draft lottery was put in place due to his college dominance.

And you have Steph - who has had an undeniable impact on how the game is played from the NBA on down to grassroots. LeBron is a greater all time player than Steph - but LeBron didn't change the way the game is played (probably because nobody can copy his physical dominance, similar to a Wilt or Shaq)

Wilt was dominant, no doubt.

Changing the game is different than just being dominant. Wilt didn't really change the way the game was played. If anything people were critical of how he played - saying that you couldn't win that way and pointing to Russell as proof.

Before George Mikan the lane was half the size as it is now. They literally changed the court design because of him.

I feel like what you’re describing is perfectly valid for Wilt, too though. Mikan widened the lane once - Chamberlain widened it a second time. Chamberlain also basically established the modern free throw protocol, and took away offensive goaltending. Perhaps you can argue he didn’t change the way the game was played because only he was dominating the avenues he changed, but he changed the course of history with rule changes that blocked people from following in his dominant footsteps.

P.S. some kids had Chuck E. Cheese’s growing up, but we had Wilt Chamberlain’s. I only know of this man’s dominance thanks to that place. Best mozzarella sticks ever.

I feel like what you’re describing is perfectly valid for Wilt, too though. Mikan widened the lane once - Chamberlain widened it a second time. Chamberlain also basically established the modern free throw protocol, and took away offensive goaltending. Perhaps you can argue he didn’t change the way the game was played because only he was dominating the avenues he changed, but he changed the course of history with rule changes that blocked people from following in his dominant footsteps.

P.S. some kids had Chuck E. Cheese’s growing up, but we had Wilt Chamberlain’s. I only know of this man’s dominance thanks to that place. Best mozzarella sticks ever.
All fair points with no debate from me

It would be too funny if when Simmons finally suits up for the Nets, neither Kyrie nor KD are there anymore.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1541551215745581059?t=4_lF3OYqisbm6ujfRomhGA&s=19

EukKrk9XEAAiC5a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom