NBA 2021-22: Ben Simmons and Kyrie Walk Into A Bar While Talking About The Lakers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have to go Celtics of course, so I'll say Celtics in 6, just so I can miss the clinching game as I have tickets to see Midnight Oil on the 16th.

Nice. I have a bunch of friends going to the LA show this week. I was hoping to swing it since it’s their last tour but it’s not going to happen. Oh well. They’re great live.

As for the Finals, given how Game 1 is going, I’ll say Warriors in 5

Last edited:
Looked like the teams switched uniforms during the break between the 3rd and 4th quarters,
Hell of an impressive win to start things off.

Two baffling decisions by Kerr and both centered around Curry being on the bench.

First was not running him back out there to start the 2nd quarter when he was sooooo damn hot in the first. Yes, I get it's his normal rest time - but you can't sit someone that hot.

Second was again starting the 4th with him on the bench. You had the Celtics on the ropes and you had Poole out there jacking up awful shots.

They're going to hate themselves when they see the film of the start of the 4th quarter.

Two baffling decisions by Kerr and both centered around Curry being on the bench.

First was not running him back out there to start the 2nd quarter when he was sooooo damn hot in the first. Yes, I get it's his normal rest time - but you can't sit someone that hot.

Second was again starting the 4th with him on the bench. You had the Celtics on the ropes and you had Poole out there jacking up awful shots.

They're going to hate themselves when they see the film of the start of the 4th quarter.

Yup, they have to adjust this. Curry simply needs to be on the court more. You're right, like you said, this is his regular rotation. Steph (at least for the last two or three seasons) has always sat the start of the 2nd and 4th quarters. A handful minutes each. I think that has to change.

38 minutes tonight? They're gonna need to bump that up to a minimum of 42 for the rest of the series. He still gets a couple of rest periods but they should be shorter. If Steph is only playing 38 minutes a game the Warriors will lose this series.

Pulling for GS because, uhhh, Boston. Hello! :wink:

If this series goes 7 games it will end on June 19th or something. That is fucking ridiculous! They used to play every other day. Good gravy.

I made this point in the Milwaukee series and I'll make it again here as it certainly played out late in game 1, we'll see going forward if it continues to be a factor.
Age and athleticism.
Warriors "big 3" are all in their 30's. Celtics aside from Horford are all in their 20's. Looked like the Celts' size, length and athleticism wore GS down in the 4th. The way The Celts defend takes its toll (look at how worn out Giannis looked in game 7). So while it's easy to criticize Kerr for resting Curry, what results are you going to get if you don't rest him? (remember Jimmy Butler playing 48 minutes in game 7 and hitting only one field goal in the final 10+ minutes, and that was when he clearly used his off arm to ward off Horford and refs missed an easy offensive foul call, his dagger 3 attempt was well short).
There's a lot of series left, but I think the rest of the NBA viewing world is finally seeing this Boston team come into its own. Their shortcomings in recent seasons can be attributed to youth/lack of NBA experience in part, and they are now hitting their peak years. The folks around here who thought it would never work cause 2 guys in their early 20's hadn't gotten to the mountain yet need to realize these guys came into the league at 19, kids that age just don't lead their teams to titles, it takes some time. Curry was 27 when he won his first. Giannis was 26 last year. Tatum and Brown are 24 and 25 respectively. This is the time they should be arriving at this point.

Also, Derrick White seems to have found his 3 stroke at just the right time. He struggled mightily with it all season and all playoffs up until game 6 vs Miami.
Last 3 games he's 11-18 shooting the 3 and makes that trade look huge.

I made this point in the Milwaukee series and I'll make it again here as it certainly played out late in game 1, we'll see going forward if it continues to be a factor.
Age and athleticism.
Warriors "big 3" are all in their 30's. Celtics aside from Horford are all in their 20's. Looked like the Celts' size, length and athleticism wore GS down in the 4th. The way The Celts defend takes its toll (look at how worn out Giannis looked in game 7). So while it's easy to criticize Kerr for resting Curry, what results are you going to get if you don't rest him? (remember Jimmy Butler playing 48 minutes in game 7 and hitting only one field goal in the final 10+ minutes, and that was when he clearly used his off arm to ward off Horford and refs missed an easy offensive foul call, his dagger 3 attempt was well short).
There's a lot of series left, but I think the rest of the NBA viewing world is finally seeing this Boston team come into its own. Their shortcomings in recent seasons can be attributed to youth/lack of NBA experience in part, and they are now hitting their peak years. The folks around here who thought it would never work cause 2 guys in their early 20's hadn't gotten to the mountain yet need to realize these guys came into the league at 19, kids that age just don't lead their teams to titles, it takes some time. Curry was 27 when he won his first. Giannis was 26 last year. Tatum and Brown are 24 and 25 respectively. This is the time they should be arriving at this point.

Also, Derrick White seems to have found his 3 stroke at just the right time. He struggled mightily with it all season and all playoffs up until game 6 vs Miami.
Last 3 games he's 11-18 shooting the 3 and makes that trade look huge.
Its less about giving him rest and more about the timing of the rest as per the actual situation on the court.

Sometimes you have to throw the book out the window. I think last night was one of those times. Honestly I have more issues with sitting him to start the 2nd than I do the 4th. He was smoking hot. You ride that out at least a few more minutes. Even his 3/4 court heave at the end of the quarter was close to going in.

The 4th? Honestly someone needed to be out there to reign Klay and Poole in. Time and score dictated that they should be taking better shots. The shots they took to open up the quarter were truly awful and led to Boston transition baskets.

Tatum didn't shoot well but he absolutely played well - and the difference between the Celtics in December and this team now has been his ability to make players better. He did that last night.

Good thing for GSW is that it's unlikely the Celtics roleplayers shoot that well all series. Bad thing for GSW is that it IS likely Draymond shoots that poorly.

I expect to see GP2 out there next game to try and disrupt some of what Boston wants to do.

I thought this was going the distance and last night only convinced me more that this was the case. We've seen Boston play this well before in the playoffs and then throw up an absolute stinker the next game, or at home. So trying not to overreact to the 4th quarter.

GSW dominated most of the game. Boston dominated the first three games of the last series but similarly found themselves down 2 games to 1.

This one's going 7 and will be close throughout. Think we're going to get paid back for all the awfulness of the previous two rounds here.

Good thing for GSW is that it's unlikely the Celtics roleplayers shoot that well all series. .

True as this is, even more true is the unlikelihood of Tatum shooting below 20% for the rest of the series.
He's had 2 similar poor shooting/scoring games this postseason, 1 against Milwaukee and 1 against Miami where he scored 10 points in each game shooting 4-19 and 3-14. he followed each of those games up with 30 and 31 points respectively, and I expect he goes off Sunday. Not saying that guarantees a win, but it will make the task that much harder for the Warriors.

True as this is, even more true is the unlikelihood of Tatum shooting below 20% for the rest of the series.

He's had 2 similar poor shooting/scoring games this postseason, 1 against Milwaukee and 1 against Miami where he scored 10 points in each game shooting 4-19 and 3-14. he followed each of those games up with 30 and 31 points respectively, and I expect he goes off Sunday. Not saying that guarantees a win, but it will make the task that much harder for the Warriors.

You're not wrong, but Tatum scoring more isn't necessarily a good thing. He played well despite not scoring the other day, because he drew the help in and didn't force shots. He simply found the open man and they knocked down shots at a crazy rate.

When Tatum gets too caught up in his own point total he can sometimes fall back into his old ways of dribbling the shit out of the ball while everyone else stands still and watches. This world be a great thing for Golden State, even if Tatum drops 40.

If he drops an efficient 30+ on a low shot total, keeping everyone involved? Yeaaaa GSW is in trouble.

Craziest stat from Game 1... Which fits in to why I think Golden State is just fine.

The Celtics took 41 three pointers.

15 of the shots were classified as "open" - meaning the defender was 4 to 6 feet away.

23 we're considered "wide open" - i.e. the defender was 6 feet or further away.

Only 3 of those 41 were considered to be contested shots.

That's insanely bad defending of the circle.

Last edited:
You're not wrong, but Tatum scoring more isn't necessarily a good thing. He played well despite not scoring the other day, because he drew the help in and didn't force shots. He simply found the open man and they knocked down shots at a crazy rate.

When Tatum gets too caught up in his own point total he can sometimes fall back into his old ways of dribbling the shit out of the ball while everyone else stands still and watches. This world be a great thing for Golden State, even if Tatum drops 40.

If he drops an efficient 30+ on a low shot total, keeping everyone involved? Yeaaaa GSW is in trouble.
I thought Tatum was much more aggressive in looking for his own points last night.

He had 3 assists.

Game 1? 13 assists.

All that being said the game pretty much unfolded the same way. Close at half, big third by GS.

But this time the Warriors didn't take their foot off the gas.

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentralI/status/1533891831301300224

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom