NBA 2021-22: Ben Simmons and Kyrie Walk Into A Bar While Talking About The Lakers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lakers need John C. Reilly to resurrect the franchise.

9e8.gif

Why the fuck are there play-in tournaments? It just rewards mediocrity.

the original point of the tournament was last year when they played a shortened season - they didn't want to screw a team that just missed the playoffs that may have had an especially bad covid outbreak.

the ratings were good so they brought it back this year. i have to imagine they're going to make an adjustment going into next year because it's not just awarding mediocrity, it's allowing teams that are downright awful (lakers) to potentially knock off teams that had significantly better season.

it's not as bad in the east - every team in the play-in will be over .500, 8 and 9 are currently tied and 10 is just 1.5 back - but the Cavs are 2.5 clear of the 7/8 seeds, but there's a high possibility that they get screwed and miss the playoffs completely despite having the all around better season.

in the west - either the lakers or spurs will make the play-in tournament at 12+ games under .500 - which is absurd. since anything can happen in a single game elimination setting, you could quite easily see a team that is 12+ games under .500 make the playoffs over a team (minnesota) who is 10 games over .500.

that being said - yeaaaa i'm going to go out on a limb that lebron is going to take this ankle roll situation and blown 20 point lead from last night as an excuse to tap out for the season and let San Antonio have their moment.

Last edited:
there are stars, superstars, and "that guy"

on the court last night there were a lot of stars - but only one "that guy"

I'm just glad that the whole argument a couple years ago that he wasn't clutch or didn't have what it takes to show up in the big moments is long gone.

I hope he never goes to the Lakers.

I'm just glad that the whole argument a couple years ago that he wasn't clutch or didn't have what it takes to show up in the big moments is long gone.

People expect these guys to perfect every aspect of their games immediately, not allowing for time for growth.
Folks here in Boston have been saying for the past 2 years the Celtiics need to trade either Tatum or Brown for a veteran if they want to contend (well not surprisingly that talk has now stopped).
Brown is 25, Tatum just turned 24. they were saying this when these guys were 22 & 23, the ages that guys used to graduate college and get drafted. They need time to grow into the NBA game.
Giannis is 27, it took him a few years to really make that final leap but Milwaukee's patience paid off finally with a title.

well you can't be "that guy" until you prove it. he did so in spades last year.

40 and 13 in a game 7 on the road against brooklyn? sheesh man.

the way he was able to overcome his biggest weakness - free throws - in the midst of a title run?

and game 6 against the Suns was an absolute masterpiece. one of the greatest performances in a close out game in NBA history. 50 points, 14 rebounds, 5 blocks. 64% from the field, 17/19 from the free throw line? come on man. you can put that up against any performance by anyone in nba history.

there will be no giannis slander ever again. he's that dude. and the best part about Giannis is that he's still the same guy - he's just a joy. you don't have the entitlement that you see in some other stars where they feel they deserve something. he just goes and takes it. he's a breath of fresh air in a league full of prima donnas.

it's why i'd still have to pick the Bucks to win the east. Boston was gaining on them, but the Williams injury is killer. brooklyn is obviously still dangerous because they also have "that dude" in KD - but there is just too much uncertainty with them. how will Kyrie respond to actually having to play. is Ben Simmons actually a thing or is he just a figment of our imaginations? part of me thinks brooklyn knows this isn't their year and is just laying low for next year.

miami? meh - they're staggering a bit down the stretch. Embiid and Brick Ross? pass.

we're probably looking at Milwaukee Phoenix 2: Electric Booglaoo.

Last edited:
Boston was gaining on them, but the Williams injury is killer.

Especially against Milwaukee and Giannis in particular.
Celtics have to hope the seeding works out that they don't face Milwaukee (and probably also Philly) until the ECF and that Timelord's recovery goes well.
They are saying 4-6 weeks. if he can be back in early May and the seeding works out that maybe Mil and Phi end up 2 and 3 and Celts are either 1 or 4 and in the other bracket (or vice versa) then they can get through a couple rounds without facing either Embiid or Giannis till the ECF they are still a legit contender. Should be able to survive the other teams without Williams, but they'll need him to defend either of those 2.

across the league you have players who are just surely with the press, getting into it with fans, forcing their way off of multiple teams while showing up to camp out of shape, demanding trades, demanding teammates be traded and then disavowing any knowledge of it when the trade doesn't work out, blaming everyone for everything and taking no responsibility for their own play, sitting out games for questionable injuries and questionable mental health days, and ultimately being miserable entitled pricks.

and then you have this guy

https://twitter.com/Giannis_An34/status/1509008551108395016

how can you not love this man?

Last edited:
well you can't be "that guy" until you prove it. he did so in spades last year.

40 and 13 in a game 7 on the road against brooklyn? sheesh man.

the way he was able to overcome his biggest weakness - free throws - in the midst of a title run?

and game 6 against the Suns was an absolute masterpiece. one of the greatest performances in a close out game in NBA history. 50 points, 14 rebounds, 5 blocks. 64% from the field, 17/19 from the free throw line? come on man. you can put that up against any performance by anyone in nba history.

there will be no giannis slander ever again. he's that dude. and the best part about Giannis is that he's still the same guy - he's just a joy. you don't have the entitlement that you see in some other stars where they feel they deserve something. he just goes and takes it. he's a breath of fresh air in a league full of prima donnas.

it's why i'd still have to pick the Bucks to win the east. Boston was gaining on them, but the Williams injury is killer. brooklyn is obviously still dangerous because they also have "that dude" in KD - but there is just too much uncertainty with them. how will Kyrie respond to actually having to play. is Ben Simmons actually a thing or is he just a figment of our imaginations? part of me thinks brooklyn knows this isn't their year and is just laying low for next year.

miami? meh - they're staggering a bit down the stretch. Embiid and Brick Ross? pass.

we're probably looking at Milwaukee Phoenix 2: Electric Booglaoo.

100% :heart: And I hope he stays that competitive and humble throughout his career. He's such a joy to cheer for compared to the Diva QB in my hometown.

is Ben Simmons actually a thing or is he just a figment of our imaginations?

I wonder if Simmons is on the path to being the biggest bust in league history. Not in terms of raw production, but rather in terms of disparity between resources and energy invested in him and his actual contributions.

Williams had a great season for the Celtics. Hope he comes back sooner rather than later.

As good as the Celtics have finished this season, I still think they are one strong player away from winning a championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom