NBA 2021-22: Ben Simmons and Kyrie Walk Into A Bar While Talking About The Lakers - Page 44 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2022, 06:25 PM   #861
Blue Crack Distributor

Location: This forum just ain't what it was pre-2007 but I still post here
Local Time: 09:50 PM
Sounds like somebody's salty

Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 07:27 AM   #862
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Sounds like somebody's salty
Well when you read the Songs of Surrender thread, it's tough to not think about salt constantly.

mikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 08:24 AM   #863
Blue Crack Distributor

Songs of Sustenance
Old 06-15-2022, 12:15 PM   #864
ONE
love, blood, life

Something I have a hard time understanding is the persistent cult around Kobe Bryant, with hordes of people insisting he is a top 5 or even top 3 player all time, and players like Tatum citing him as an idol of sorts.

Seems to me he is the epitome of a volume scorer, but maybe I'm missing something. Or maybe the whole Black Mamba marketing scheme has just been wildly effective over time.
iron yuppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 12:37 PM   #865
Blue Crack Addict

People value championships over anything else in basketball. Once you’re great, that becomes the measure.

Oh also don’t be a million years old, sorry Bill Russell.
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 03:14 PM   #866
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Something I have a hard time understanding is the persistent cult around Kobe Bryant, with hordes of people insisting he is a top 5 or even top 3 player all time, and players like Tatum citing him as an idol of sorts.

Seems to me he is the epitome of a volume scorer, but maybe I'm missing something. Or maybe the whole Black Mamba marketing scheme has just been wildly effective over time.
There's a lot.... A LOT... of revisionist history when it comes to Kobe.

First being that he was somehow better than Shaq when they played together which, i mean, come on. That's an absurd argument and only shows you were probably too young to have actually seen those titles.

Kobe is not the greatest player of his generation. That's Tim Duncan. The advanced stats are fairly clear on this. There's even legit debate about whether or not Kobe was ever the best player in the league at any given time.

but kobe stans gonna kobe stan.
Old 06-15-2022, 03:24 PM   #867
ONE
love, blood, life

I can't believe I'm citing Reddit, but I found something there that I thought was interesting in terms of advanced metrics on his scoring: "A stat that adjusts efficiency across all eras is TS Add. Kobe had a career TS Add of 1122.3 in 1346 games, meaning that he scored 1122.3 points more than someone would if they shot league average TS% on the same amount of attempts. That's pretty good, but it doesn't compare to some of the greatest scorers of all time, especially when you consider longevity. Jordan had a career TS Add of 1943.8 in 1072 games, LeBron 2631.7 in 1265, KD 2607.7 in 849, Wilt 3587.0 in 1045 and Kareem 4718.8 in 1560. Even someone like Reggie Miller (3449.8 in 1389) does substantially better in this category." From r/nbadiscussion.

Anyway, it seems pretty clear his cultural perception outstrips his statistical performance. A significant percentage of the population seems to perceive monomania toward one's craft as an admirable characteristic, hence the persistence of "mamba mentality." Similar to how any Youtube video on Breaking Bad will have a bunch of people fawning over Walter White.
iron yuppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 08:00 PM   #868
Blue Crack Distributor

He is simultaneously an all time great player and also incredibly overrated.

It's an impressive feat
Old 06-16-2022, 06:19 AM   #869
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
He is simultaneously an all time great player and also incredibly overrated.

It's an impressive feat
Yep.
And one thing Kobe did have is that killer instinct that guys like Jordan and Bird had, and that goes a long way in enhancing the reputation, especially when looking back. He was the lead dog for the last 2 of the 5 titles he won, but as you mentioned above, he was definitely Robin to Shaq's Batman in the 3 they won together.
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:11 AM   #870
Blue Crack Distributor

If anything Kobe cost the Shaq Lakers a 4th ring - and Larry Brown will vouch for that.
Old 06-16-2022, 08:46 AM   #871
Blue Crack Distributor

https://twitter.com/OfficialNBARefs/...30733047799810

Warriors in 6
Old 06-16-2022, 01:36 PM   #872
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Where the F is Scott "The Extender" Foster?
Old 06-16-2022, 10:25 PM   #873
Blue Crack Distributor

https://twitter.com/jaytatum0/status...bz7zFE58A&s=19
Old 06-16-2022, 11:24 PM   #874
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
I can miss the clinching game as I have tickets to see Midnight Oil on the 16th.
I got that part right at least.
Midnight Oil was great and mercifully I didn't see one second of the game. Heard the last 5+ minutes on the radio in the car.

Congrats to GS. Can't win turning the ball over 22 times that's for shit sure.
Old 06-16-2022, 11:29 PM   #875
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
I see two major problems for Boston, and they both center around Marcus Smart.

1) They don't have a real point guard to settle things down when the turnovers start getting out of control. The closest thing they have to a vet who can settle things down is Average Al.

2) Flops don't work in the playoffs. They really don't work in the finals. He's taking it too far.

I get he's the heart of that team - but right now he's hurting them.
Clear as day they're going to need to figure this out.

Golden State exposed their lack of ball handlers and once they figure that out it was kind of over.
Old 06-17-2022, 06:31 AM   #876
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Dang it, I missed the game. I usually like to watch the last game of the season. Oh well. So, the Warriors keep their dynasty going.
MrPryck2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:24 AM   #877
Blue Crack Distributor

this ends all debate about Steph and his place in the pantheon of NBA all time greats.

it also ends talk about Steve Kerr. i questioned his substitution patterns early - but jeez, the job he did holding this team together - and the buttons he pressed in the last 3 games, like putting Otto Porter into the starting lineup,? guy's got 9 rings. 5 as a player, 4 as a coach. he's in rarified air now.

and to think that this squad is going to add an influx of young talent .

warriors play the game the way it's supposed to be. they have unselfish stars - the ball has energy and pings all over the court - and they guard the crap out of you. if you turn the ball over against them? forget it - they're going to kill you in transition.

their organization is also incredibly first class in everything they do - at least in my experience and interaction with them. couldn't be happier for them.

and hey, that's a wrap - and time for the first real NBA offseason since 2019. and thank god for that in so many different ways.

draft next week - lackluster free agency begins end of the month. get that stove warming up.

your next nba basketball will be in the preseason in tokyo.
Old 06-17-2022, 08:59 AM   #878
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
You're not wrong, but Tatum scoring more isn't necessarily a good thing. He played well despite not scoring the other day, because he drew the help in and didn't force shots. He simply found the open man and they knocked down shots at a crazy rate.

When Tatum gets too caught up in his own point total he can sometimes fall back into his old ways of dribbling the shit out of the ball while everyone else stands still and watches. This world be a great thing for Golden State, even if Tatum drops 40.

If he drops an efficient 30+ on a low shot total, keeping everyone involved? Yeaaaa GSW is in trouble.
Thinking about this... I think Tatum (and Brown) heard the talk about his lack of scoring game 1 and he started forcing things vs just keeping the ball moving - and that led to the massive amounts of turnovers.

It's always been Boston's Achilles heel - falling back into hero ball and forcing things vs just moving the ball and letting the action zone to you.
Old 06-17-2022, 09:22 AM   #879
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
this ends all debate about Steph and his place in the pantheon of NBA all time greats.

it also ends talk about Steve Kerr. i questioned his substitution patterns early - but jeez, the job he did holding this team together - and the buttons he pressed in the last 3 games, like putting Otto Porter into the starting lineup,? guy's got 9 rings. 5 as a player, 4 as a coach. he's in rarified air now.

and to think that this squad is going to add an influx of young talent .

warriors play the game the way it's supposed to be. they have unselfish stars - the ball has energy and pings all over the court - and they guard the crap out of you. if you turn the ball over against them? forget it - they're going to kill you in transition.

their organization is also incredibly first class in everything they do - at least in my experience and interaction with them. couldn't be happier for them.

and hey, that's a wrap - and time for the first real NBA offseason since 2019. and thank god for that in so many different ways.

draft next week - lackluster free agency begins end of the month. get that stove warming up.

your next nba basketball will be in the preseason in tokyo.

There was debate about Steph?

For all the Reggie Millers and Ray Allens of history playing sort of the second-fiddle to all time greats, at minimum he is the best version of them. At minimum.
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 09:30 AM   #880
Blue Crack Distributor

part of the debate about anyone these days is that there's too many damn hours to fill on these sports networks. it's like politics, but without worrying about life and death.

the 3-1 defeat followed by the two titles with KD kind of led to this narrative that Steph was just below the upper echelon of stars and wasn't on that upper upper level - that top 10 to 15 players of all time level.

He's on that level.

Aside from his all around greatness as a player - there are very few people who legitimately changed the way basketball is played. Steph Curry is on that list.

Mikan. Kareem. Jordan. Steph. And to be honest? 1/2 on that list are probably George Mikan and Steph Curry - in whichever order you'd like.