NBA 2019-20 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will this finally be the end of the Dantoni "system"? Guy is never going to win anything this way.

Will this finally be the end of the Dantoni "system"? Guy is never going to win anything this way.
No.

parts of the "d'Antoni system" are used by pretty much every nba team now. It has won multiple rings. the spurs ran it almost exactly as he ran it in phoenix. the warriors run a modified version. every single team in the league focuses on corner threes now.

the rockets are playing daryl morey's analytics jerkfest on steroids. they endlessly search out switches and over rely on isolating play - which is the exact opposite of what d'antoni has done his entire nba career.

if anything d'antoni should bounce. his contract is up and there are a few teams who will go after him hard. you hear indiana a lot.

the rockets decided to go all in on a ball dominant malcontent (when their best player was already equally ball dominant) and almost lost to the team they got him from. probably should have lost if OKC had executed a little better down the stretch.

they went all in on small ball switch hunting and played without a center (and then shockingly got massacred on the boards by LA) because some quant who never touched a basketball in his life probably gamed it out.

their best player is notoriously awful in elimination playoff games because his style is largely based on flopping his way to the free throw line - which doesn't work in the playoffs when refs put their whistle away and opponents get smarter. he also plays zero defense.

the rockets should send morey packing tomorrow. they probably won't because of the league (and fertata's) financial situation. he's not going to pay him 8 million a year until 2022 on this mess. but yea - morey and his over use of analytics is the problem.

I get the personnel decisions are largely out of the coach's hands, but how is it the GM's fault that Harden has such an absurd usage rate and Westbrook continues to chuck threes despite being a notoriously awful shooter?

Looking more and more like a traditional NBA finals of Celtics/Lakers,
Are we sure David Stern isn't still pulling the strings from the other side?

Looking more and more like a traditional NBA finals of Celtics/Lakers,
Are we sure David Stern isn't still pulling the strings from the other side?

Wow, way to totally disregard the fact that your team still has a team who just cleaned the floor with their last two opponents - one of which was the number one seed.

Wow, way to totally disregard the fact that your team still has a team who just cleaned the floor with their last two opponents - one of which was the number one seed.

Celtics are the favorite in the series, and with how the Clippers are reverting to the Clippers of the 80's, Lakers are looking like they are headed to the finals....NBA looking for top TV ratings in these strange times, David Stern's ghost has instructed the refs to make that finals happen.

Celtics are the favorite in the series, and with how the Clippers are reverting to the Clippers of the 80's, Lakers are looking like they are headed to the finals....NBA looking for top TV ratings in these strange times, David Stern's ghost has instructed the refs to make that finals happen.

I find it hilarious that you’re genuinely that dismissive and, after barely squeezing through the last round, you’re already writing off the next round.

I find it hilarious that you’re genuinely that dismissive and, after barely squeezing through the last round, you’re already writing off the next round.

You're getting awfully riled up, and totally missing the point of what I posted, perhaps you're too young to get the Stern references.

You're getting awfully riled up, and totally missing the point of what I posted, perhaps you're too young to get the Stern references.

I’m not getting riled up old man heeson. Hate to break it to ya but I’m almost 30 years old. I grew up with David Stern.

We are witnessing the first NBA ECF featuring no #1 or #2. It’s 2020, the teams are playing in a freaking gym during a pandemic and there’s no home court advantage. The “underdog” has been the most dominant team in the playoffs this year. It’s anyone’s game, and most certainly not looking like there’s some good measure of predictability as to who will win the series.

I’m not getting riled up old man heeson. Hate to break it to ya but I’m almost 30 years old. I grew up with David Stern.

We are witnessing the first NBA ECF featuring no #1 or #2. It’s 2020, the teams are playing in a freaking gym during a pandemic and there’s no home court advantage. The “underdog” has been the most dominant team in the playoffs this year. It’s anyone’s game, and most certainly not looking like there’s some good measure of predictability as to who will win the series.

But what you're missing is my point (which is tongue in cheek) that Stern is still controlling things by steering the likely most popular TV match up possible into existence for the finals. I didn't say t was definitely happening, I said its looking more and more likely, which is true as both teams are now in conference finals and going to be the betting favorites in their respective conferences.
Stern (who's career began with the Patrick Ewing frozen lottery envelope to revive the NY franchise) would have made sure that the highest possible ratings were achieved (hence my post a few days back about him ensuring the Raptors took game 6 and forced a Friday night game 7) in a year when the only way to increase league visibility and revenue going forward was to get as many eyes on the TV as possible.

Side note - there are so many sporting events on right now that overall TV ratings for sports is up but the ratings for individual games are down.

NFL opening night was down 2 million viewers - but it went head to head with the Lakers, the US Open, Stanley Cup playoffs, and MLB.

Crazy times we're in.

Side note - there are so many sporting events on right now that overall TV ratings for sports is up but the ratings for individual games are down.

NFL opening night was down 2 million viewers - but it went head to head with the Lakers, the US Open, Stanley Cup playoffs, and MLB.

Crazy times we're in.

I was particularly befuddled by the scheduling of Nuggets/Clippers in the early afternoon yesterday going head to head with the first Sunday slate of NFL games (Stern's ghost definitely didn't approve that time slot)
Had no idea they were playing then, was watching the Pats/Dolphins, during a break late in the game checked ESPN website to see how badly I was getting my ass beat in fantasy and saw a 4th quarter score for the NBA game.
Should have scheduled the game for 7:00, could have had folks jump in after the late NFL games somewhere in the late 1st/early 2nd quarter and hopefully hold audience if the game was compelling till the end with folks outside of Dallas figuring they could catch the 2nd half of the football game.

Last edited:
But what you're missing is my point (which is tongue in cheek) that Stern is still controlling things by steering the likely most popular TV match up possible into existence for the finals. I didn't say t was definitely happening, I said its looking more and more likely, which is true as both teams are now in conference finals and going to be the betting favorites in their respective conferences.

Stern (who's career began with the Patrick Ewing frozen lottery envelope to revive the NY franchise) would have made sure that the highest possible ratings were achieved (hence my post a few days back about him ensuring the Raptors took game 6 and forced a Friday night game 7) in a year when the only way to increase league visibility and revenue going forward was to get as many eyes on the TV as possible.

*pretends to explain*
**triples down on statement**

I was particularly befuddled by the scheduling of Nuggets/Clippers in the early afternoon yesterday going head to head with the first Sunday slate of NFL games (Stern's ghost definitely didn't approve that time slot)
Had no idea they were playing then, was watching the Pats/Dolphins, during a break late in the game checked ESPN website to see how badly I was getting my ass beat in fantasy and saw a 4th quarter score for the NBA game.
Should have scheduled the game for 7:00, could have had folks jump in after the late NFL games somewhere in the late 1st/early 2nd quarter and hopefully hold audience if the game was compelling till the end with folks outside of Dallas figuring they could catch the 2nd half of the football game.
It was a no win - the evening nfl game was the the Rams. Maybe if it were the chargers... I kid I kid. No I don't - there are no charger fans.

I think the so called american sports equinox - nfl, nba, mlb and nhl all playing on the same day - has only happened like 20 some odd times on history - but will happen a like 10 times over the next month and a half.

Toss in the us open, mls, premier league, the masters, the preakness?

Good time to be a better (or bad time to be on a losing streak)

It was a no win - the evening nfl game was the the Rams. Maybe if it were the chargers... I kid I kid. No I don't - there are no charger fans.

I think the so called american sports equinox - nfl, nba, mlb and nhl all playing on the same day - has only happened like 20 some odd times on history - but will happen a like 10 times over the next month and a half.

Toss in the us open, mls, premier league, the masters, the preakness?

Good time to be a better (or bad time to be on a losing streak)

how could you forget the tour de france? :tsk:

Hate to break it to ya but I’m almost 30 years old.

y3l9wf86kx401.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom