NBA 2016 Playoffs & Beyond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of the greatest AFL players of all time turned his hand to coaching. And he single-handedly destroyed the club, ruined his own name and brought the entire code into disrepute. So I hear you.

The Warriors are frighteningly good in transition. Pretty much any long rebound is going to turn into a 3 or an and-1. Cleveland has to find a way to slow that transition game or every game is going to be a 20-point loss.

Opinion of LeBron specifically aside, most stars make awful coaches. There's a reason why, Larry Bird aside, the majority of players turned great coaches were role players

Similar to why catchers (and often back up catchers at that) seem to be the only MLB players who translate to being decent managers. Catchers are not often the most gifted athlete on a diamond (we all probably knew a fat kid who got stuck behind the plate in Little League or in neighborhood pick up games), and to become a major leaguer have to be better students of the game than the "natural" roaming the outfield, SS and 1B.

My question was *somewhat* hypothetical. I don't follow basketball closely enough to really care or respond to his points. I was sorta just spitballing. I'd like to hear from others too, though. Cos whilst I know Headache is hella knowledgable on the sport, he's also biased. You'd have thought Miami Heat were the spawn of Satan the way he talked about them in the 2012 & 13 Finals.

Like I can only compare it to my own sports leagues that I actually follow back here, and there's teams I hate - and there are probably cultural/structural differences that I'm not aware of - but it doesn't blind me, yknow? I haaaaate the team that has won the past three AFL grand finals, but I respect the shit out of them, because they're so good.
I don't pretend to like the guy. I just shared my particular reasons for disliking him. They're not exactly unique to me, either.

I actually was cautiously optimistic about his return to Cleveland. Thought it could have been a terrific story with a more mature James returning home. Just turned out to be more of the same, though.

Would be yet another side effect of an offense that is largely stationary and isolation based.

It wasn't like that in the first three rounds, though. There was relatively little iso ball, except when they got in trouble against Toronto. I think Lue is trying to slow the game down, but it's taking them out of their normal rhythm.

I don't see LeBron having the right temperament to be a coach, regardless of how high he tells us his basketball IQ is.

He'd purposely go to the worst team imaginable so he could exert as much control as possible.

I think that's the case in most sports. I can't really think, off the top of my head, of a superstar player who later became a good coach.
There are a few soccer players... Zinedine Zidane is having good success. Maradona gave it a whirl but wasn't anything to write home about.

Ted Williams had an okay managerial career but ultimately grew frustrated that the guys he was as coaching couldn't do what he did and gave it up.

The true superstar player is able to do things that other players can't even dream of doing. They have a natural ability that you can't teach, and usually have a drive for greatness that even most professional athletes can't possibly match. It becomes difficult for that to translate into coaching.

The role player who needs to figure things out a little more in order to survive, the pass first point guard... the guys who need to understand a little more of what's going on. They've historically made the best coaches.

Think Steve Kerr, Doc Rivers, Phil Jackson, Pat Riley.

Bill Russell won a couple championships as player coach in Boston, but flamed out elsewhere.

Magic was a disaster.

Lenny Wilkens and Larry Bird are the obvious exceptions.

I think that's the case in most sports. I can't really think, off the top of my head, of a superstar player who later became a good coach.

Patrick Roy is off to a decent start. Gretzky wasn't terrible. Wasn't good, but wasn't bad. Don't think he had tons to work with.

Patrick Roy is off to a decent start. Gretzky wasn't terrible. Wasn't good, but wasn't bad. Don't think he had tons to work with.

But the measure of success is championships or, at the very least, consistent playoff appearances or deep runs. And by that metric, most superstar players never become good coaches.

I wonder if Peyton will become a coach and how he can translate his high football IQ to that role.

I can't think of any good reason why Peyton would be a bad coach. At the very least, he would be a terrific offensive coordinator, he's been in that role for years.

But the measure of success is championships or, at the very least, consistent playoff appearances or deep runs. And by that metric, most superstar players never become good coaches.

I wonder if Peyton will become a coach and how he can translate his high football IQ to that role.

And I would imagine both Gretzky and Roy are far too young to have their cases closed just yet.

Also, depends where you're setting your bar. Lots of great players were coaches or are coaches. Trottier. Gallant. Just two that come to mind.

You guys should watch more soccer. Lots of examples of former stars turned into good coaches.

Johan Cruyff (possibly the greatest coach of all time?); Franz Beckenbauer; Mario Zagalo (I never liked him as a coach, but the resume is there).

Of current players, perhaps Zidane will be one. Klismann is not that great a coach, but maybe he fits the category too (he coaches a bad team that arguably overachieved in the latest World Cup). Guardiola was not a star, but did play for his national team.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom