National Hockey League 2013-14 season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This sums it up really nicely.

Bj8CP6IIcAA0wcY.jpg:large

I don't know what's worse, putting up with a losing team or obnoxious Montreal fans... oh wait I know

You know what pisses me off the most? In typical Leaf fashion, they are probably going to win all the remaining games when it’s too late to actually get in the playoffs but they will get enough points to just be outside looking in with the worst possible draft pick. Fuck, kill me now.

You could not be more right. It *could* be worse.

PIT01_NHL.JPG

Makes me appreciate my team.

It's crazy to think a team filled with #1 overall picks needs to be blown up, but that's definitely the case for Edmonton if you ask me. Too many youngsters at once is a bad thing.

More like mediocre draft in total... holy hell. I just took a look at Toronto's drafts since 2008 (essentially, the Burke era).

6 drafts
37 players drafted
813 games played (433 by Luke Schenn)
4 full time NHLers
2 currently with Toronto

Naturally this is an incomplete report as all has not been said and done on players from 2009 on, but the picture on draft classes 2010 and before are starting to clear up. It's mid 2014, and their draft class from 2010 has 1 NHL game played. That's horrendous.

I say this fully understanding that good teams like Detroit get plenty of time to keep their players in the system... but that's definitely not Toronto. That organization needs to learn how to farm their own players, and compliment them with free agent additions. Not just hit the buy and sell button.

Haha yeah, trust me I know that.

This is coming from a team that had the option to take Vincent Lecavalier, Eric Staal, and Rick Nash.

But instead opted to ditch the #1 pick three times in roughly half a decade in favor of Viktor Kozlov (lol), Nathan Horton (lol), and Jay Blowmeester.

Meanwhile, the #1s turned out to be everything and more, with two of the three taking their respective Southeastern conference Tampa Bay Lightning and Carolina Hurricanes teams to win Stanley Cup championships.

Make no mistake, the Florida Panthers could've been a decent team for the past decade rather than the worst team over the past decade... if only they had better asset management.

*disclaimer* I know they wanted to take Bouwmeester over Nash #1 anyways, and that's why they made that trade. Nonetheless, Rick Nash is insignificant in the discussion of Lecavalier and Staal, as he's clearly the inferior franchise player.

I recently saw that the Flyers were listed as worst in the NHL in organizational depth. That was fun. Can't wait to lose to the Rangers in the first round.

The memories :)

6ogaj6.jpg

Florida drafted Jay Bouwmeester at #3! Can you guess what other #3 they drafted with their second top 10 pick in this decent draft class?!?

3 games played? :wink::|

Yup. And of course it's not like they had the option to take any of those names 4-8 at #9, but it actually gets a lot better 10-20. Guys like Steve Eminger and Alexander Semin by Washington, Keith Ballard, Chris Higgins!

Thankfully our draft in 2010 was no mistake so far. But I think something is really obvious. NEVER draft a defender top-3. Don't listen to the hype. It's ALWAYS wrong.

1990 - Scott Neidermeyer (3)
1992 - Roman Hamrlik (1)
1993 - Chris Pronger (2)
1994 - Ed Jovonovski (1)
1994 - Oleg Tverdovsky (2)

So I'm sure by now you're like... dude... LN7... what are you talking about?

1995 - Bryan Berard (1)
1995 - Wade Redden (2)
1995 - Aki Petteri-Berg (3)
1996 - Chris Phillips (1)
1996 - Andrei Zyuzin (2)
1998 - Brad Stuart (3)
2002 - Jay Blowmeester (3)
2004 - Cam Barker (3)
2005 - Jack Johnson (3)
2006 - Erik Johnson (1)

We will draw the line there as I'm still willing to give defenders past 2008 chances. To truly see this picture though, you have to go look at the caliber player drafted around all of these guys I listed. They're all stars, for the most part. The guys listed here are mostly scrubs or average players.

I was upset when we took Gudbranson.
And it's already starting to show.

Playoff hockey has arrived.Here we go:

Eastern conference 1/4 finals:

Det-Bos: Boston in 6
Columbus-PITS: Pitts in 5
Philly-N.Y.R.: N.Y.R. in 7
Habs-T.B. Tampa in 6

Western conference finals:

Dal-Ana: Ducks in 5
Minn-Col: Col in 5
L.A.-S.J.: Sharks in 6