National Hockey League 2010-2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
no , and i wish him quick recovery
and the whole story makes me sad , give chara 2 games max , it was a bad hit after all
but he DID dive 2 or 3 times during the game before the injury , it's just the way canadiens play
and who was that player runing away from lucic , hiding behind refs ,

You have got to be kidding me. The Canadiens dive? Is that some sort of excuse? Sounds like you're blaming the victim and letting you're (I'm assuming) anti-Canadiens bias cloud your judgment.

For the record, I would be much more lenient on Chara if the puck was even in the vicinity, but it wasn't, rendering the hit completely unnecessary and another example that there is a league-wide lack of respect amongst some players.

OH, and here's a quote from Patrice Bergeron that appeared in today's La Presse that he made BEFORE the game:
«Il faut se poser la question: est-ce que toutes les mises en échec sont vraiment nécessaires? Est-ce que ça vaut vraiment la peine de frapper quelqu'un qui n'a pas la rondelle, par exemple? Je pense que les joueurs doivent se poser ce genre de questions.»
English translation: "The question that needs to be asked is: Are all bodychecks really necessary? Is it really worth hitting a player that doesn't have the puck, for example? I think that players should be asking themselves these types of questions."

This is so bush league. I am disgusted and not because it involves the Canadiens, but it is yet another example of how the league doesn't get it.

NHL loses moral compass with Zdeno Chara hit on Max Pacioretty - Michael Farber - SI.com

michael_farber.jpg

Michael Farber ON THE FLY

NHL loses its moral compass in the Chara-Pacioretty incident

MONTREAL -- A push in January came to a shove in March. And for a few minutes on Tuesday night, there were some in the stunned crowd of 21,273 that thought Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty might be dead.

The result is that the 22-year-old is in the hospital with a severe concussion and a non-displaced cervical fracture of the fourth vertebra. In this glum 2010-11 NHL season, there is a concussion that actually represents good news.

On the seventh anniversary of Todd Bertuzzi's criminal assault on Steve Moore -- if you are of fan or symmetry, you will recall that Moore, who never played hockey again, sustained a concussion and non-displaced fractures of the third and fourth cervical vertebrae -- Boston Bruins defenseman Zdeno Chara shoved Pacioretty into the padded stanchion that separates the benches in the Bell Centre. Pacioretty's head hit what Canadiens goalie Carey Price would later call "the turnbuckle," and Pacioretty snapped backward, falling to the ice like a Raggedy Ann doll. The puck was not even in the same postal code at this particularly horrifying moment, having skittered 60 feet ahead of the play into the Montreal offensive zone with about 16 seconds left in the second period.

This was exactly the kind of play that occurs in every game -- a defenseman, beaten by a stride, trying to ride a forward off the puck -- but it doesn't occur in the same place on the ice nor have the same back story. Chara later explained that he was finishing his check although in truth, from my vantage point on the eighth level of the cavernous arena, it looked like he merely was starting it. Chara correctly received a five-minute major for interference, a match penalty and, in a signal that the NHL has lost its moral compass, no suspension.

HACKEL blog:NHL's leniency breeds repeat offenders
The NHL's vice-president of violence, Colin Campbell, is sitting this one out. He recuses himself from all decisions regarding the Bruins because his son, Gregory, plays there. (In an ideal world, the dean of discipline would not have a son playing in the league -- almost any decision affecting a team indirectly affects the others -- but this is the best compromise available.) In any event, the task of judge and jury falls to Mike Murphy, Campbell's top aide. Given the optics -- Pacioretty lay on the ice for at least seven minutes before being wheeled off on a gurney -- you would hope that Commissioner Gary Bettman, in Arizona on Tuesday to deal with the fate of a league-owned franchise, might venture an opinion.

Chara is a stand-up guy. And up. And up. The 6'-'9" Norris Trophy-winner spoke after the game and said, and we'll paraphrase here, that he would be the last person to do something like that. In fact, he was the last person to do something like that. He is generally well liked and well respected. He does not have a rap sheet. He never has been a headhunter. He is the NHL's strongest player, but he is not an especially violent one. Of course, none of this exonerates him. He made a distinctly reckless, illegal play that resulted in an injury that could have been catastrophic. Two games, five games, 10 games. Zero was not on the answer sheet.

HACKEL blog:Chara's hit raises character questions
Of course, there was another kind of history for Murphy to consider.

When Pacioretty scored the overtime winner against the Bruins in January, he gave Chara a pointed, albeit harmless, shove in the back during his celebration that further soured the already bad mood that exists between these Original 6 teams. Chara reacted, a scrum ensued, and maybe a seed was planted. The result was the Beat Down in Beantown the next time the teams met, which you might recall as part of the fun-filled February in which the New York Islanders and Pittsburgh Penguins got all medieval. (College football has so-called Rivalry Week. The NHL had Caveman Week.) On Tuesday morning, minutes after Boston coach Claude Julien was doing all he could in a media scrum to tamp down passions, Bruins rookie Brad Marchand was ridiculing the Canadiens as divers while he held court in the dressing room.

(Column question: when Montreal rookie P.K. Subban sounds off on the ice, he is being disrespectful. When Marchand yaps in the room to reporters, it is ... what, exactly?)

Anyway, when referees Bill McCreary and Eric Furlatt alertly responded to early first-period trouble by giving Montreal's Ryan White an instigator penalty -- White jumped Boston's Johnny Boychuk after Boychuk took a run at Subban -- it appeared they would be able to keep a lid on things. The scoreboard didn't cooperate. Montreal put two goals past Tuukka Rask in the first period and another two in the second, an incipient blowout in the making that made the press-box typists uneasy. This was exactly the kind of situation in which ugly things happen, although no one was anticipating this kind of harrowing moment for a man and his sport.

Murphy gave a pass to Chara, the franchise and league cornerstone. OK. But the next time you just hope you get to write another column and not an obituary.

Oh boy... calling Colin Campbell out because his son plays in Boston? Give me a god damn break. Campbell played here for about four or five seasons and we actually got screwed the other way because Campbell refused to partake in incidents involving Gregory Campbell.

Colin Campbell is very unbiased, and at the very most biased against Campbell.

Oh boy... calling Colin Campbell out because his son plays in Boston? Give me a god damn break. Campbell played here for about four or five seasons and we actually got screwed the other way because Campbell refused to partake in incidents involving Gregory Campbell.

Colin Campbell is very unbiased, and at the very most biased against Campbell.

Not sure if we're reading the same thing, but he's not "calling out" Campbell, but simply stating that he recuses himself because of his son.

And that all stems from this:

NHL's Campbell under fire for emails sent to Walkom

i hope young kid will be okay
chara is a good guy , i'm 299% sure that he didn't mean it
should ve goten 2 games thou
end of story , hockey is a physical game ,
canadiens were horrible , will be horrible
go canucks , go leafs , go oilers , go BRUINS

You have got to be kidding me. The Canadiens dive? Is that some sort of excuse? Sounds like you're blaming the victim and letting you're (I'm assuming) anti-Canadiens bias cloud your judgment.

For the record, I would be much more lenient on Chara if the puck was even in the vicinity, but it wasn't, rendering the hit completely unnecessary and another example that there is a league-wide lack of respect amongst some players.

Do you agree that it was essentially an interference check that ended up with a freak outcome?

If that's the case, and you argue that this check deserves a suspension, then so does an incident where a guy trips/hooks an opponent who subsequently hits his head on the ice. Suspending a guy based on the outcome and not on the specific foul itself leads to huge problems.

:hyper:and Chara been around for what 10 years , now
team captain , veteran ,

well , wegot a point last night , can't wait till the playoffs:hyper:

3 more huge road games for the Wild. If last night is any hint, I should get my Canucks fan gear ordered now.

Welcome to the fandom! :wink:

Last night's game was thrilling! It felt like a playoffs game for sure. Schenider was absolutely phenomenal - if it hadn't been for him, I doubt they would have won. The commentators were yelling and screaming constantly during the last half of the 3rd period, which really added to the stress and excitement. :lol:

Welcome to the fandom! :wink:

Last night's game was thrilling! It felt like a playoffs game for sure. Schenider was absolutely phenomenal - if it hadn't been for him, I doubt they would have won. The commentators were yelling and screaming constantly during the last half of the 3rd period, which really added to the stress and excitement. :lol:

I cheered for Vancouver last year in the playoffs. I know people think it's crazy since the Canucks and Wild are in the same Division, but seriously, who else would I cheer for?

Certainly no one in the East.

Do you agree that it was essentially an interference check that ended up with a freak outcome?

If that's the case, and you argue that this check deserves a suspension, then so does an incident where a guy trips/hooks an opponent who subsequently hits his head on the ice. Suspending a guy based on the outcome and not on the specific foul itself leads to huge problems.

Yes and no.

There are so many moving parts to this story, I don't know where to begin. All I can say is that I saw the video many times, and each time I come to the same conclusion - Chara deserved at least 3-5 games.

Do I think Chara is a dirty player? No. I've always admired and respected him. Do I think, as some honey-loving bear who cannot get past his/her own team bias/hatred for another team, that because he has never been suspended before that he has never transgressed in the past? Definitely not.

Do I think there was malicious intent? No. Do I think Chara knew what he was doing? Yes and no. As a player I think they are all aware of the lay of the land and know exactly where everything is - even Pacioretty - although from his perspective there is some inherent trust that he won't be plowed into the stanchion as he's skating by a player. And in my view, Chara definitely guided Pacioretty with his elbow and even towards the end sort of gave him a shove. The man is 6'9" and has a reputation for being a fitness freak. He's strong and powerful and even a slight shove could have devastating circumstances.

In that light, I think he was reckless and has to be held accountable. The fact that it was interference - and was deemed serious enough that he was handed a minor, major and game misconduct penalty - we can all agree on and it never should have happened. The result was horrible. But he has to respond to his actions, and by escaping any sort of sanction, it has rendered the league even more of a farce than it already is.

This year is the absolute worst in terms of players' safety and, for me, this is the end. Something has to be done.

^ Well said!:up:

Kramwest, I have my Habs gear ready, and I can't wait to watch them kick the Wild's ass in person on the 20th!:wink:

It was a careless hit that shouldn't be paired with intention to injure but nonetheless Chara should be held accountable for what happened considering he was no longer playing the puck.

There's barely a line between intending to injure and knowing you're going to injure and being indifferent about it. All I know is that video showed me he knew exactly what he was doing.

He was finishing a check. That always goes down that way. It was the wrong place at the wrong time.

You've got no idea how close you are to that specific bench end on the ice when you're looking at the player as opposed to where you're going.

Players are always finishing checks late and usually they let it go, especially in that driving along the boards fashion.

I just watched that Chara hit for the first time.

No. He knew exactly where he was checking him into. He should be suspended.

I think the game moves way too fast for Chara to know where he was checking him into. Maybe a one game suspension, just to show that the NHL is watching. But anything more is ridiculous.

And I'm a Wild guy, not a Bruins guy.

No, I think he was going to check him, saw the support beam, and didn't care. It's not like he set out saying, "I'm going to check him into a support beam," but it didn't deter him in the least.

No, I think he was going to check him, saw the support beam, and didn't care. It's not like he set out saying, "I'm going to check him into a support beam," but it didn't deter him in the least.

If the speed of the game is that slow, why didn't Pacioretty see the support beam and adjust his path?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom