National Hockey League 2010-2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, NSW.

This is sports, right? You win some, you lose some. It's what keeps us watching.

Still, if I can indulge in one complaint: what the fuck is wrong with the linesmen? I've never seen them kick out so many people from the face-off circle, not only in this series, but the playoffs in general. So here we are in OT, an important face-off in the Montreal end, and the team's best face-off guy, Jeff Halpern, gets tossed. Next thing you know, Montreal loses the face-off and the puck is in the back of the net.

I could only catch a few minutes of the game, so I didn't see how most of it went. Sorry they're out, BoMac. :( I really wished Montreal could have advanced. An all-Canadian final would have been awesome. Not for hockey in the US, of course, but for us Canadians, damn, that would have been exciting. :)

Still, if I can indulge in one complaint: what the fuck is wrong with the linesmen? I've never seen them kick out so many people from the face-off circle, not only in this series, but the playoffs in general. So here we are in OT, an important face-off in the Montreal end, and the team's best face-off guy, Jeff Halpern, gets tossed. Next thing you know, Montreal loses the face-off and the puck is in the back of the net.

Between that and the missed penalties, it was a frustrating loss indeed.

Onwards we go. Go Canucks!!!:up:

Flyers - Boston is going to be a pretty awesome matchup.

In fact, the NHL has had a pretty awesome bracket so far, almost like the NBA. I'm one who thinks it's irrelevant what the Flyers or Boston can do to Tampa because Washington is going to obliterate them and then likely beat whoever they face in the next round.

I'd have them going to the Cup. Unless they screw up real badly.

I genuinely did think that this year we'd have a 1 vs. 1 Cup. Vancouver is starting to scare me at this point though.

San Jose doesn't look too bad in the West, however the fact that they've been playoff flops for forever now also makes them iffy. It scares me to think that we might be seeing another Red Wing cup in the making by default. Would really love one of those Eastern teams to win it. Got an original bunch again.

Question Hockey peeps,

My Dad is going to the states this weekend. I'm gonna get him to bring me back a Canucks jersey (not sure what number on the back yet :)). Is it pretty easy to find these throughout the country? (He's going LA->Vegas->Dallas->Houston) Especially the 'customised' jerseys (meaning ones with players names/numbers on already)

I only ask because I'm trying to work out if its easier to get him to bring me back one, or if I purchase it online and pick it out that way, I'd only really save on shipping.

Thanks, and I hope that makes some sense.

I'm no expert, but I think it would be VERY difficult (if not impossible) to find a Canadian team's hockey jerseys anywhere other than in Canada. :lol:

It's probably a safer bet to get it online, but maybe someone who has been to one of those cities and has been to a sporting goods store can say otherwise.

Only two places I'd know of off the top of my head...

the NHL Store near Times Square in NYC and... Pantherland in the BankAtlantic Center :doh:

(yes, leave it to the Panthers to market to other teams)

An all-Canadian final would have been awesome. Not for hockey in the US, of course, but for us Canadians, damn, that would have been exciting. :)

I always think that this is a bit of an odd argument that a lot of Canadians seem to make. I mean take the Vancouver-Chicago series...there were more actual Canadian players on the Chicago team. But anyways...

I think Detroit will take San Jose out. Vancouver over Nashville, though Van looks weak and I think at this point the Red Wings should be the favourites out West.

The East is a gong show - I actually don't like any of the teams there that are still in it.

I've been recommended he check out Sports Authority, I dunno, I may just buy online to save hassle. :hmm:
Another chain that he might try is Dick's Sporting Goods. (And tell him when he goes to say "I've heard women here love Dick's")

If that doesn't work, I think he'd have a shot at finding one at a pro shop in Vegas or LA, depends on how hard he wants to look. I assume there's a pro shop at the Staples Center which may have gear from other teams. I'm sure there's someplace in Vegas that would have team gear from most all the teams in the 4 major sports.
Also Dallas must have a pro shop at/near the arena.

International Shipping from NHL.com is crazy. It bumps up the price about $70 :huh:

I think your dad might waste $70 in gas driving around trying to find one. :huh:

Is he at any location in the U.S. long enough to have it shipped there?
Some hotels charge for accepting packages, but it could work and be cheaper than shipping it directly to you.

Another chain that he might try is Dick's Sporting Goods. (And tell him when he goes to say "I've heard women here love Dick's")

If that doesn't work, I think he'd have a shot at finding one at a pro shop in Vegas or LA, depends on how hard he wants to look. I assume there's a pro shop at the Staples Center which may have gear from other teams. I'm sure there's someplace in Vegas that would have team gear from most all the teams in the 4 major sports.
Also Dallas must have a pro shop at/near the arena.

:laugh:

Alright I'll keep those in mind, cheers :up:

I think your dad might waste $70 in gas driving around trying to find one. :huh:

Is he at any location in the U.S. long enough to have it shipped there?
Some hotels charge for accepting packages, but it could work and be cheaper than shipping it directly to you.

Hmm possibly. He's only in the country for about 10 Days and the longest he is anywhere is about 3-4 days.

Hmm possibly. He's only in the country for about 10 Days and the longest he is anywhere is about 3-4 days.

That's long enough. Just let the hotel know ahead of time.
I occasionally ship tradeshow stuff ahead to where I'm staying.
You can have the shipper put your Dad's name and arrival date on the order, and the hotel will know to hold it for him.

Still, just a thought.

In fact, the NHL has had a pretty awesome bracket so far, almost like the NBA.
I've been reading a lot of interesting sports writing lately, on the subject of how in the NHL you are bound to see upsets, but in the NBA an upset in a playoff series is extremely unlikely. In the NBA, you have the starting, best players on the court for most of the game, every night, whereas in the NHL they share the ice time with a large cast of teammates. A lot more wildcards in a long, seven game NHL playoff series.

I hope Tampa Bay and their ex-Canadiens farm system coach (and McGill and UdeM alum / wunderkind / sports psychologist) Guy Boucher go all the way to the Cup Finals.

They already stunned the Caps in Game 1. TB is dangerous even with Gagne's bell rung.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom