National Hockey League 2010-2011 - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #281
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,900
Local Time: 01:22 AM
Tallon's really working those phones today:

Dennis Wideman to Washington for forward Jake Hauswirth and a 2011 third round pick.
__________________

__________________

BoMac is offline  
Old 02-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #282
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,914
Local Time: 12:22 AM
Lol you're beatin me here... glad Tallon is gutting the team but when a firesale like this occurs you gotta expect less than value for each player. I figured they wouldn't trade Wideman because he wouldn't have much trade value considering how piss poor his defense is. guess not.

I'm real happy with a 3rd round pick and the fact that I don't have to watch that next season.
__________________

LuckyNumber7 is offline  
Old 02-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #283
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,914
Local Time: 12:22 AM
Might as well call this one the "Florida Panthers Trade Deadline"...


After the Dvorak and Wideman trades,

To Carolina:

Bryan Allen

To Florida:

Sergei Samsonov


very, very, VERY pleased here. At first sight you say "what the fu...?" but then take into consideration Allen apparently had an unpublicized NTC. You see my list of players up there as players I thought were getting shipped away... the fact that Allen and Wideman have been dealt is awesome because they're both atrocious. I never thought we'd get rid of Allen.

Samsonov is a pending UFA, so essentially we took Samsonov from Carolina (who is awful) in return for them taking Allen's contract.



----------------

Hilarious tidbit on all of this. If anyone remembers the Eddie the Eagle diving incident versus Carolina, it was Bryan Allen who ghost-tripped Eric Staal. So, essentially Bryan Allen has been screwed twice in his career. Nick Tarnasky, who at the time was with Tampa, took a cheapshot at Allen sucker punching him while the refs held Allen back KOing him. Panthers response? Traded for Tarnasky in 6 months
LuckyNumber7 is offline  
Old 02-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #284
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,900
Local Time: 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Might as well call this one the "Florida Panthers Trade Deadline"...
Higgins to Vancouver.

Dustin Penner goes to Los Angeles, but the Kings gave up a lot. A 21-year-old defenseman, Colten Teubert,a former 13th overall pick a couple of years ago, and a 2011 first round pick, and a conditional second rounder.
__________________

BoMac is offline  
Old 02-28-2011, 03:11 PM   #285
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,914
Local Time: 12:22 AM
Dustin Penner to LA pretty much blocked Booth going to LA.

Higgins barely snuck in, for a 3rd round pick. I laugh at the Canucks on that one... Higgins is out for 3 weeks and is a pending UFA and we got more for Higgins than we did for McCabe.

True firesale, the only piece missing in the sale was Mr. Vokoun himself. Panthers have 40 million in cap space going into the offseason .
LuckyNumber7 is offline  
Old 02-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #286
Babyface
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11
Local Time: 12:22 AM
Islander fan here.

I'm VERY surprised that Snow didn't give up Konopka/Martinek for a 2nd. Maybe the team actually cares about the lack of defensive depth in the case of Martinek and Konopka's leadership?

Sure, a 2nd can turn into another Hamonic in three years, but take a look at the Ness' and Trivinos of the world and established vertans suddenly look a whole lot better IMO.
MBfan is offline  
Old 02-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #287
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,914
Local Time: 12:22 AM
Well, other than Edmonton this season who got a massive deal for Dustin Penner(who mind you has a big contract), it looks like it was a tough year for sellers.

Snow probably held onto em for the same reason Tallon held onto Vokoun/Booth/Weiss. They're pieces you can't get rid of for too cheap.
LuckyNumber7 is offline  
Old 02-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #288
has a
 
kramwest1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Not a toliet wall
Posts: 6,939
Local Time: 10:22 PM
God bless Martin Havlat.
Finally admitting my man-crush.

That is all.
__________________
Bread & Circuses
kramwest1 is offline  
Old 03-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #289
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
MrPryck2U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Long Island, NY, USA, Earth
Posts: 9,797
Local Time: 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBfan View Post
Islander fan here.

I'm VERY surprised that Snow didn't give up Konopka/Martinek for a 2nd. Maybe the team actually cares about the lack of defensive depth in the case of Martinek and Konopka's leadership?

Sure, a 2nd can turn into another Hamonic in three years, but take a look at the Ness' and Trivinos of the world and established vertans suddenly look a whole lot better IMO.

I'm an Islander fan too. They look to be going in the right direction, but they're far from playoff caliber. Hopefully next year they'll improve.
MrPryck2U is offline  
Old 03-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #290
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,900
Local Time: 01:22 AM
Now if only they could get that Lighthouse project off the ground, the Islanders might actually be going places.
__________________

BoMac is offline  
Old 03-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #291
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
MrPryck2U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Long Island, NY, USA, Earth
Posts: 9,797
Local Time: 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMac View Post
Now if only they could get that Lighthouse project off the ground, the Islanders might actually be going places.

Yeah, if only. Doesn't look like it's gonna happen, but one can hope. In 4 or 5 years the Islanders could become the Quebec Nordiques Version 2.0 or the Winnipeg Jets Version 2.0.
MrPryck2U is offline  
Old 03-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #292
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,914
Local Time: 12:22 AM
Florida Panthers president Michael Yormark steps in it knee-deep lashing out at beat writer George Richards | ProHockeyTalk

I love George Richards.
LuckyNumber7 is offline  
Old 03-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #293
Refugee
 
CrashedCarDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Turkmenbashin'
Posts: 1,609
Local Time: 03:22 PM
Bring back ties in Hockey

Shootouts are not the way to decide the result of ANY hockey game, not just the regular season
CrashedCarDriver is offline  
Old 03-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #294
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,914
Local Time: 12:22 AM
Funny because I've been hearing that a ton recently...

Do you remember how much ties sucked? I mean, shootouts are pretty lame but ties were even lamer.
LuckyNumber7 is offline  
Old 03-02-2011, 09:02 AM   #295
Refugee
 
CrashedCarDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Turkmenbashin'
Posts: 1,609
Local Time: 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Funny because I've been hearing that a ton recently...

Do you remember how much ties sucked? I mean, shootouts are pretty lame but ties were even lamer.
The difference is it is so much more difficult to score in hockey, whereas if its basketball its totally fine if you have overtime or resolve your differences by a foul shooting contest

Imagine if every game of the English Premier League football was resolved by a penalty shootout if the score was equal after 90 minutes?
CrashedCarDriver is offline  
Old 03-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #296
Refugee
 
CrashedCarDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Turkmenbashin'
Posts: 1,609
Local Time: 03:22 PM
Naming rights for future Quebec arena sold to Videotron

ah... c'est chouette

Il y auraiez un l'equipe de hockey au Quebec
CrashedCarDriver is offline  
Old 03-02-2011, 09:05 AM   #297
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,914
Local Time: 12:22 AM
Yeah well there's two polar opposites:

Do you want both teams to get a tie even though one team clearly deserved the win?

or

Do you want someone to get a win despite the fact that they could have been the lesser team?


In the end, ties were happening way, way too much in modern day hockey. It makes the game to the average fan boring.
LuckyNumber7 is offline  
Old 03-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #298
has a
 
kramwest1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Not a toliet wall
Posts: 6,939
Local Time: 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Funny because I've been hearing that a ton recently...

Do you remember how much ties sucked? I mean, shootouts are pretty lame but ties were even lamer.
I agree. There is very little satisfying about a tie. But, making the goalies defend the most difficult play after 65 minutes of regular and OT isn't great either, but I'll take it.
__________________
Bread & Circuses
kramwest1 is offline  
Old 03-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #299
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashedCarDriver View Post
Imagine if every game of the English Premier League football was resolved by a penalty shootout if the score was equal after 90 minutes?
That wouldn't be great, but would be better than ties. Ties are the worst.
PhilsFan is offline  
Old 03-03-2011, 10:40 AM   #300
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
CTU2fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,366
Local Time: 12:22 AM
Yes, ties suck. And the loser point kind of sucks too. And so does the shootout.

I think I'd like to see them go to a 10 minute OT to at least minimize the shootout factor. I get that they can't have 4OT regular season marathons, but a longer OT period seems like a decent compromise.
__________________

CTU2fan is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×