National Hockey League 2010-2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the speed of the game is that slow, why didn't Pacioretty see the support beam and adjust his path?

Because he was chasing the puck, was ready to blow by Chara, and at that point even if he is aware that the stanchion is there, there's a certain inherent trust that an opposing player is not going to smash your head into a pole.

Basically, it's analogous to everyday life: we put our faith in others all the time not to do us harm, like when we're driving on a highway, for example. But if someone runs into us, they should be held accountable.

Pacioretty didn't exactly have a choice with a 6'9" guy riding him into it now did he?

Well I often get this in the basketball thread... so it's my turn now.

Have you ever played hockey? It has become second nature for a player to finish his check. And while Chara might've known he was in a somewhat dangerous area, you'd really have to have a ton of things fall in place to purposely do that.

You can't premeditate something like that from the angle Chara had on the hit. Yeah, it was a late hit, but it probably wouldn't have been called at all had it been against a pane of glass.

Chara's mind is in at most two places. Here is Parcioretty against the boards that I'm going to hit, and there is the puck.

Chara is still absolutely responsible for the hit, but it was hardly intentional in an manner.

Because he was chasing the puck, was ready to blow by Chara

That's 2 minutes for interference.

At the referee's discretion, this can be a major, or even a game misconduct. I'm only disputing a multi-game suspension here.

That's 2 minutes for interference.

At the referee's discretion, this can be a major, or even a game misconduct. I'm only disputing a multi-game suspension here.

Absolutely it's interference, but upon finishing checks it's hardly ever even called. Chara's responsible for the interference, and thus responsible for what happened to Parcioretty.

But I highly doubt he had any idea that he was going to nearly kill him.

Well I often get this in the basketball thread... so it's my turn now.

Have you ever played hockey? It has become second nature for a player to finish his check. And while Chara might've known he was in a somewhat dangerous area, you'd really have to have a ton of things fall in place to purposely do that.

You can't premeditate something like that from the angle Chara had on the hit. Yeah, it was a late hit, but it probably wouldn't have been called at all had it been against a pane of glass.

Chara's mind is in at most two places. Here is Parcioretty against the boards that I'm going to hit, and there is the puck.

Chara is still absolutely responsible for the hit, but it was hardly intentional in an manner.
I have played hockey, but it's hardly the point. The point is I can see Chara in that video looking up and seeing where he's going. Parcioretty is looking at the puck.

I didn't say he premeditated it, as in he knew ten seconds before. I'm saying he saw the pole and didn't pull up. Didn't even have a second thought. Hit him right into it and kept on going. Didn't bat an eye. Didn't care.

He knew exactly what he hit him into.

Absolutely it's interference, but upon finishing checks it's hardly ever even called. Chara's responsible for the interference, and thus responsible for what happened to Parcioretty.

But I highly doubt he had any idea that he was going to nearly kill him.

Agreed. Things happen in the heat of the moment. So even though I might not agree with the game misconduct, it's ok with me.

I just think a suspension is unwarranted. The NHL agrees.

I have played hockey, but it's hardly the point. The point is I can see Chara in that video looking up and seeing where he's going. Parcioretty is looking at the puck.

I didn't say he premeditated it, as in he knew ten seconds before. I'm saying he saw the pole and didn't pull up. Didn't even have a second thought. Hit him right into it and kept on going. Didn't bat an eye. Didn't care.

He knew exactly what he hit him into.

It is the point, especially when it's the point about every flippin conversation in the other thread.

You can see Chara and Parcioretty skating hard after a loose puck. Parcioretty beats Chara to the puck and gets rid of the puck asap. You clearly don't understand how fast things are moving. Try and pause that video. Parcioretty picks that puck up at around 0:02:50. At that point, Chara's head is focused completely on the puck.

It's only at about 0:03:50 that Chara has his head up and Parcioretty has dumped the puck. At about 0:04:00 Parcioretty is face first in the beam.

There is less than a second where Chara can physically see that beam right there, and he's already half way through finishing his check. Yeah, easy to say it looks so long on video, and when they show it in slow motion. Try being out there, and try being in Chara's position. Come back to me when you think Chara simply just 'didn't care' and put Parcioretty into the beam.

I think he saw it way more than .5 seconds before he hit the pole, and that's my entire point.

And it's the point of the conversation in the other thread because you said you don't even pay attention to that part of the game.

No, I think he was going to check him, saw the support beam, and didn't care. It's not like he set out saying, "I'm going to check him into a support beam," but it didn't deter him in the least.

In other words, Chara purposely hit him with the knowledge that he might strike the support beam. No way. He's not that type of player. I doubt the stanchion even entered his mind. We're talking a couple of seconds here.

For GAF:

5ffa10737a62a64dc7daff318538081b-getty-109748097mw014_stanley_cup_.jpg

Obama Meets the Chicago Blackhawks, Who 'Helped Chicago Become a Hockey Town Again' - Political Punch

I think he saw it way more than .5 seconds before he hit the pole, and that's my entire point.

And it's the point of the conversation in the other thread because you said you don't even pay attention to that part of the game.

No, you associate the fact that because I choose not to watch it I immediately must not have any knowledge of what is going on. And then I must also not know how rough the game of basketball really is because I apparently have no idea what I'm talking about.

Well guess what, this is hockey. As a player, I can tell you that there's no way Chara saw that for more than a split second. And there's no way he simply didn't care so he just drove Parcioretty into the boards. That's hockey. Your mind almost assumes there are boards to hit the player into when you're chasing hard with your eyes dead set on the puck/player.

Well, in my first hockey game, I got to see a fight, a terrible call by the ref that ended up costing the Wolves the game, overtime, and a shoot-out that went into sudden death. It was a fine time. Hockey definitely is even more awesome in person. Especially towards the end of the game.

Well, in my first hockey game, I got to see a fight, a terrible call by the ref that ended up costing the Wolves the game, overtime, and a shoot-out that went into sudden death. It was a fine time. Hockey definitely is even more awesome in person. Especially towards the end of the game.

Even college and high school hockey are fun live.

Kudos on your first experience.

Colin Campbell is very unbiased, and at the very most biased against Campbell.
The problem is not any kind of bias on Colin Campbell's part.

The problem is that the NHL hands out wildly uneven and inconsistent supplementary discipline that makes it look bush league, to be honest.

I'm probably not the only one that thinks that the design itself in that area is screwed up.

They should look into some super flexiglass, or perhaps a flat 45 degree board.

I'm probably not the only one that thinks that the design itself in that area is screwed up.

They should look into some super flexiglass, or perhaps a flat 45 degree board.

I was going to mention that it seems odd that they can't have the edge taper up somehow.
I have seen refs run into that spot, too, usually while dodging players, but certainly not so hard as that hit.

It's not the only arena that has this area, by the way. I noticed that St.Louis has it, too, the other night when I watched the game.

Don't all/most rinks have that design? It's where Pierre McGuire sits.

All they have to do is smooth out the corner and have the board angle into the bench. Really shouldn't be that hard to modify.

It's not the only arena that has this area, by the way. I noticed that St.Louis has it, too, the other night when I watched the game.

It's all of the arenas (or almost all of, it actually surprises me if there is one without it). On both sides of the bench, it's dangerous.

I heard McGuire mention that some arenas have that area, but with no glass and thus no need for the poles.

Well either way you have one on the other end of the bench.

Not only should they angle it to lessen a blow, they should use a different material that takes a bit more shock.

It's not like this is the first time a player has been in that situation. Just probably one of the worst case scenarios.

Detroit has it right, but then again the removal of Pierre McGuire from hockey coverage / planet earth is something I can really get behind :up:

GAZsg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom