National Hockey League 2009 - 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Me either. He's a good player, would make a lot of teams much better. I wonder if he's a prima donna or what? I'd think a lot of teams would want him...He'll probably end up a Ranger or a Duck.

This story has more twists and turns that the average soap opera.

I subscribe to the theory that Richard Peddie and MLSE are deeply involved in blocking Balsille from moving to Hamilton. The guy was approved twice as an owner, why was he refused now? I can only surmise that his public intention of moving the team to Hamilton has the Leafs worried.

It wouldn't surprise me at all and I can't say I blame them from a business perspective but I can't help but think some more local competition might light a fire under them to actually get off their collective asses and compete for once...

It would be nice if MSLE had the balls to at least acknowledge this is the case but they are already pretty hated so I can see why they don't.

I just watched Game 4 of the 2002 playoffs - Isles vs Leafs. That's the one when McCabe tripped Bates to give him the penalty shot. One of the last YAY moments in current Islander's history...:sigh:

Oh - Darcy Tucker is a piece of shit.

Oh yeah, we got John Tavares! And...:uhoh:...

John Tavares!

One good thing is that Milbury is still gone. So we got that.

I certainly hope they can build a solid team around him, and they seem to have some good young prospects, like Kyle Okposo, for example. And it seemed like outside of Tavares, the Islanders had a very good draft this year.

However, what's up with bringing in Martin Biron and Dwayne Roloson? I think that Rick DiPietro's injury woes are worse than we're aware of.

Interesting:

Patrick Marleau is no longer the captain of the San Jose Sharks.

Head coach Todd McLellan told the Mercury News on Monday that the team's captaincy and the assistant captain positions are all vacant. Joe Thornton and Mike Grier were the assistant captains for the 2008-09 season. Grier signed a one-year contract with the Buffalo Sabres earlier this month.

"As of now," McLellan told the Mercury News, "nobody is our captain."

Marleau has come under fire repeatedly over the last few seasons with regards to the team's poor playoff record and his leadership in the dressing room, but McLellan explained that the leadership issues on the team go beyond his former captain.

"It's a collective thing and it starts with me as coach."

McLellan plans to go into training camp in September and see how the leadership situation progresses. Marleau could even potentially earn the "C" back.

"I want to see who's stepping up to the front," McLellan told the newspaper. "We'll see as it evolves. I can walk around town and everybody's giving me a suggestion. We can talk about it internally - everybody has an opinion. I believe it'll sort itself out."

Last season the Sharks won the Presidents Trophy, leading the NHL with 117 points, but they were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs by the Anaheim Ducks in six games.

Marleau's name has been mentioned in trade rumours over the past two seasons, but he has a no-trade clause with one year left on his contract.

The 29-year-old was taken by the Sharks in the 1st round (2nd overall) of the 1997 NHL Entry Draft. Last season he scored 38 goals with 33 assists and a plus-16 rating in 76 games. Over his 11 NHL seasons he has amassed 610 points (276 goals, 334 assists) over 871 games.

McLellan: Marleau no longer captain of Sharks

Does anyone think this will work?

No, it was announced a few days ago. :wink:

My own personal feeling, and I know I'm biased, is that Marleau will be traded to the Canadiens, possibly as part of a three-team deal involving Ottawa and Dany Heatley. Heatley would go to San Jose, Marleau to Montreal, and Ottawa would get a few players, including one or both of the Kostitsyns. My rationale for this is that Ottawa would like players that Kovalev knows and is comfortable playing with.

you've obviously given this a lot of thought.

I don't think this will solve any of their issues personally - with or without a Captain, it's the same team when it comes down to it - look at the Leafs :tsk:

I think they should really consider shaking things up and bringing in some new blood. I'm almost wondering if it's Thorton...

He won't stay that long in Vancouver. Contracts like this, and Hossa's in Chicago, are meant to take advantage of a loophole in the CBA and contravene the salary cap.

It contravenes it in two ways: One, a hit on the salary cap is the average salary over the life of the contract. So, the cap hit for the Canucks on this contract is $5.3 million. However, without the exact details, I'm sure this contract is front-loaded at perhaps $8 million per for the first six years, and then $2 million for the last six years. On the open market, Luongo surely would have commanded $8 million per for six years, but instead of a cap hit of $8 million, it's $5.3 million.

Also, if a player retires after 35-years-old, that contract goes off the books. So Luongo will not be there until the end of his contract.

Makes you wonder why we lost a year because of that lockout in the first place. :shrug:

In a sense they started a trend, but I don't think Dipietro would have gotten more than the $4.5 million per year he's getting. I believe that contract is not front-loaded, so what they did was essentially lock up an injury-prone goaltender for 15 years.

Back
Top Bottom