Mlb 2022

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
9evsb9061wg91.jpg

Fair.

Although it's not as if I haven't always said our franchise is, or was, a joke. The Wilpon family operated the franchise like a small market team for decades. Windows of contention were small. We let young talent leave once they're contracts were up. We overpaid for veterans, let our minor league system flounder by refusing to go over slot, and an ownership group that held their own fans in disdain.

My comments are mostly a knock on the Yankees and a caution to their fans who think they'll always be the top dog in New York merely because they're the Yankees. Much like United operated with that arrogance and allowed themselves to be lapped. I'm also a United fan, so I'm knocking myself at the same time. And let's be honest - the Yankees were passed by the Red Sox over a decade ago.

It's also not to say the Mets are going to win the title a bunch of times here. Not saying that. But they'll be in contention more often than not going forward, and that's something I've never been able to say about that team.

It comes down to this .. overnight the Mets have more money than every other team in baseball, by a decent margin, in the largest market, in a sport where having the most money really matters, with an owner who has every intention of doing whatever it takes to turn the team into perennial contenders, and a rabid fan base who have been dying for this moment for decades.

They're in a very similar spot to the Dodgers when that ownership group changed (I'd also look out for the Angels moving into the same category if they get sold). Obviously the dodgers have only won one Series, and a questionable over at that. But they're in the mix every year because they have a shit ton of money to cover mistakes and constantly reload, through trades, free agency and through their own minor league system. Because they have money, and an owner who is willing to spend it.

The NL East looks as if it'll be a three team bloodbath for the foreseeable future. The Braves are an incredible franchise dripping with young talent. Philly has shown a willingness to spend, but ultimately I don't know if they'll be able to keep up with Cohen - but they'll spend enough to keep themselves in the mix.

The Marlins and Nats will be largely irrelevant for a while here - but that could certainly change once the sale of the Nats is finalized, depending on who the new owner is. Obviously if it's Bezos things change considerably.

And yes - we Mets fans have turned arrogant as fuck this season. I won't debate that. But it's all because of Cohen. He's done almost everything right so far, on and off the field. Except for having the stupid trumpet guy play live.

Fair.

Although it's not as if I haven't always said our franchise is, or was, a joke. The Wilpon family operated the franchise like a small market team for decades. Windows of contention were small. We let young talent leave once they're contracts were up. We overpaid for veterans, let our minor league system flounder by refusing to go over slot, and an ownership group that held their own fans in disdain.

My comments are mostly a knock on the Yankees and a caution to their fans who think they'll always be the top dog in New York merely because they're the Yankees. Much like United operated with that arrogance and allowed themselves to be lapped. I'm also a United fan, so I'm knocking myself at the same time. And let's be honest - the Yankees were passed by the Red Sox over a decade ago.

It's also not to say the Mets are going to win the title a bunch of times here. Not saying that. But they'll be in contention more often than not going forward, and that's something I've never been able to say about that team.

It comes down to this .. overnight the Mets have more money than every other team in baseball, by a decent margin, in the largest market, in a sport where having the most money really matters, with an owner who has every intention of doing whatever it takes to turn the team into perennial contenders, and a rabid fan base who have been dying for this moment for decades. .......

And yes - we Mets fans have turned arrogant as fuck this season. I won't debate that. But it's all because of Cohen. He's done almost everything right so far, on and off the field. Except for having the stupid trumpet guy play live.
Ah, you're a Met's fan. (I'm not making fun, you'll see)

Since I just found out yesterday that The Yanks and The Mets are in The Play Offs I was like "Oooo". :hyper: Used to follow baseball more, and yeah I've been to a few games for both teams, too. I thought I'd drop in here.

I was telling my sis (she's younger) earlier today -
We, and one other Uncle grew up in Washington Hghts, and Inwood (back in the mid 50's onward for me)
it was almost by osmosis that being up above but not that far from Yankee Stmd if you were sports inclined to become a fan. (I played hit and catch with that same uncle and his sons)

Now I picked up often routing for the underdog from my mom. Sooo when Mad Magazine made mercilessly fun of The Mets, and Casey Stengal (some of it was funny but...) time after time I began to feel sympathy for them.
Very exciting when they won in '69. Riding home on a public bus from HS some kids had transistor radios listening to the games.

I route for both teams out of town, and either to get into The play offs, and the World Series; but for the Subway series I route for The Mets.
Let's see if they can pull it off!
Been to both Yanks & Mets ticker tape parades. Such fun - especially The Met's in '86!

While I'm moving from where I am now - it's been fun living about 5 blocks North, and 1 Ave East of Yankee Stdm! When I left the house early afternoon I could hear the cheering from the Stadium! Great fun!
When I returned later people were leaving the stadium. Yay, the Yanks won. They have a game tomorrow with the Bos Soxs.
Have to get The Mets schedule. :up:

Last edited:
I'd say the pressure is on the most for LA. They have dumped a lot of money into the roster for the last several seasons. They finally win, but it's the COVID season, so that season has a huge asterisk next to it. They need to prove they are legit champs just like the Astros need to prove they're legit after the sign stealing scandal. I wouldn't be surprised to see a rematch between those 2 teams.

Yeah, not sure why it's being made out to be this big thing. Still impressive for sure, but Pujols getting to 700 was a far bigger accomplishment.

Probably because MLB wants him to be the face of the league. Judge has the right attitude, though. He knows it's all about the team.

Albert's 700 is impressive. I'm glad he made it.

Back
Top Bottom