Mlb 2022

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brandon Woods.

Oh man, I had forgotten about him. Went back to his Fangraphs page, and remembered this gem of a season (2010):

.146/.174/.208 in half a season (243 plate appearances). A wRC+ of 1. Bless him.

That said, the dude is 37 now, so the joke is on us.

NL playoffs this year will be insanely fun for someone without a rooting interest.

Eddie Vedder is a Cubs fan. So the "Vedder Cup" would be Cubs vs who?

It would be either Mariners or Red Sox.
Mariners for his current residence or Red Sox for his friendship with Theo Epstein (plus at one of the Fenway shows he said the Red Sox were "his American league team" when he was growing up.)

Lots of stuff going on this week. Wish I had more time to comment.

RIP Vin Scully. Great memories of Vin and Joe G. calling the NBC Game of the Week in the 1980's.

The Nats won the WS 3 years ago and who's left on that team? Good gravy.

The Nats won the WS 3 years ago and who's left on that team? Good gravy.

It's really pathetic what they've done to that team so soon after winning a championship, especially when you consider that they're only in DC because Montreal couldn't have a team because they couldn't afford their stars.

The word is that they wanted it scrapped down to the foundation so that whoever buys the team will not be forced into making tough decisions and/or look like the bad guy for trading off Soto. They get a clean slate (other than the absurd amount of deferred money still owed to a lot of players. They paid Scherzer 20 million dollars this year and all they got out of the deal this year was a grooved fastball to Soto so he could have his final moment)

That’s been what we’ve called it on lookoutlanding dating back to like 15 years ago when Jeff Sullivan ran the site before Fangraphs and then the Rays lured him away.

Also, The Athletic calls it that, urban dictionary has an entry about it, pitcherlist, there’s a Twitter account based around it, nbc San Diego has an article about it… it’s kind of a widespread thing.

Last edited:
All those people are stupid. Calling a baseball matchup the "Vedder Cup" when it doesn't involve the Cubs is objectively stupid.

It’s not about what team he roots for. It’s pretty easy to see that it’s based on places he lived during significant moments in his life, made up because neither the Mariners or Padres have natural rivalries, and were paired up as interleague rivals when interleague play began.

Just because you’d never heard of it and don’t agree with it doesn’t make it stupid.

I think it's supposed to be stupid/absurd and that's why people kept it going. It's a relic from an era when interleague was a new concept and they wanted to pair teams up. The name stuck because it sounds cool and the connection is such a reach.

But I totally agree that it's stupid.

when i think of pearl jam and baseball, i think of the seattle mariners. my favorite pearl jam shirt is one with the pearl jam logo in the mariners font. it's gold, jerry. gold.

when i think of eddie vedder and baseball, i think of the chicago cubs and nobody else because the dude is a hugely public die hard cubs fan who literally has written songs about the cubs and claiming him for anyone else is, yes, stupid.

Blame a bunch of sportswriters from like 25 years ago. And all the ones who continue it. And will continue it. It’s the only thing Seattle and San Diego can fight over since it’s a stupidly forced rivalry.

Can't we just call it the Pacific Series or something that makes more sense?

200w.gif

Back
Top Bottom