MLB 2021 - Vaccinated and Ready to Go

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They took the eastern 10 slot in the 24 team format.

They were also in a dramatic nosedive in February, struggling to find a serviceable NHL goaltender. They were absolutely not going to make the real playoffs.
Yeaaaa but you don't know that for sure.

The friggin Wizards played 8 games in the bubble because they were technically not eliminated when the pandemic hit (and lost 7 of em).

Neither the NBA nor NHL were perfect in their execution - but there was no perfect answer. The alternative was to cancel the playoffs completely.

So yea - I think the NBA and NHL were equally legitimate-ish... whereas a 50 game season when it's normally 162 is just a complete joke.

Honestly I'd rather have had MLB do it old school and just extend the regular season until mid October - get 15-20 more games in - and then take the two league leaders and have them advance straight to the World Series.

Alas - what's done is done and the Nats are still the legitimate defending champs in my eyes.

Last edited:
Yeaaaa but you don't know that for sure.

The friggin Wizards played 8 games in the bubble because they were technically not eliminated when the pandemic hit (and lost 7 of em).

Neither the NBA nor NHL were perfect in their execution - but there was no perfect answer. The alternative was to cancel the playoffs completely.

So yea - I think the NBA and NHL were equally legitimate-ish... whereas a 50 game season when it's normally 162 is just a complete joke.

Honestly I'd rather have had MLB do it old school and just extend the regular season until mid October - get 15-20 more games in - and then take the two league leaders and have them advance straight to the World Series.

Alas - what's done is done and the Nats are still the legitimate defending champs in my eyes.

As a diehard Florida Panther fan, pls do not tell me I don’t know it for sure. I have lived my entire sentient life watching the team either hang around the bottom or start hot and slowly fall backwards into the playoffs. The team hasn’t won a playoff series since the 90s and is probably the only team to be considered an underdog with home ice advantage X many times in the playoffs in a single decade.

How I’m so certain is the time of their free fall. It was too early. If they started their typical free fall in March they’d have been fine. February? Nah. Done.

As a diehard Florida Panther fan, pls do not tell me I don’t know it for sure. I have lived my entire sentient life watching the team either hang around the bottom or start hot and slowly fall backwards into the playoffs. The team hasn’t won a playoff series since the 90s and is probably the only team to be considered an underdog with home ice advantage X many times in the playoffs in a single decade.

How I’m so certain is the time of their free fall. It was too early. If they started their typical free fall in March they’d have been fine. February? Nah. Done.
Cool

It’s funny how you always reply all dismissive whenever you read a post directed at you written in your exact posting style ?
It has nothing to do with that. It's your "please don't tell me" bullshit that, honestly, isn't worth dealing with. I didn't even read anything past that line. And my posting style here is mostly to simply not post rather than deal with, ya know, this.

You don't know for sure - even as a HUUUUUUUGE fan - that they wouldn't have turned it around. That's just a non debatable fact. If you had told me the Wizards were making the playoffs in March I'd have told you you were batshit crazy. But low and behold it happened.

If you had told me the 2007 Phillies were going to overtake the Mets on September 1 of that year? I'd have laughed you out of the room. Alas.

Which is why it was fair to invite teams that weren't mathematically eliminated - no matter how improbable - because crazy things can and do happen.

Which was the entire point of the conversation over the odd take that you had about the NHL playoffs last year somehow being different than the NBA's.

So, yea. Cool.

All of this. I've mostly kept it to myself because I don't want to shit on all of my friends here in LA that are Dodgers fans, but I am legitimately surprised by how proud of that WS win they are. Like, are we really going to count that? And yes, I'm absolutely pissed at the situation the Cubs found themselves in, but at the same time, I was kinda relieved they didn't advance any further than they did, simply because I don't want to have to think of how I'd feel if they'd won "it all".

But I legitimately feel like the NHL and NBA winners were legit. NFL too, of course.

It has nothing to do with that. It's your "please don't tell me" bullshit that, honestly, isn't worth dealing with. I didn't even read anything past that line. And my posting style here is mostly to simply not post rather than deal with, ya know, this.

You don't know for sure - even as a HUUUUUUUGE fan - that they wouldn't have turned it around. That's just a non debatable fact. If you had told me the Wizards were making the playoffs in March I'd have told you you were batshit crazy. But low and behold it happened.

If you had told me the 2007 Phillies were going to overtake the Mets on September 1 of that year? I'd have laughed you out of the room. Alas.

Which is why it was fair to invite teams that weren't mathematically eliminated - no matter how improbable - because crazy things can and do happen.

Which was the entire point of the conversation over the odd take that you had about the NHL playoffs last year somehow being different than the NBA's.

So, yea. Cool.

You took my post and choose to perceive it as “bullshit” when I was just expressing myself with no negativity directed your way. You’re passionate about your teams and you’re equally skeptical and firm in your learned ways about how much they suck. Instead of feeling like you have to “deal with” it, maybe just choose to read it in a nicer light: I don’t hate you, I value your opinion, I enjoy reading your feedback, etc. etc. and you are being unnecessarily dismissive.

All of this. I've mostly kept it to myself because I don't want to shit on all of my friends here in LA that are Dodgers fans, but I am legitimately surprised by how proud of that WS win they are. Like, are we really going to count that? And yes, I'm absolutely pissed at the situation the Cubs found themselves in, but at the same time, I was kinda relieved they didn't advance any further than they did, simply because I don't want to have to think of how I'd feel if they'd won "it all".

But I legitimately feel like the NHL and NBA winners were legit. NFL too, of course.
To follow up, because this came off to me as smarmy, I don't begrudge anyone being happy their team won a championship. It's more like the merch I've seen people wearing around and the general celebratory, "We're the best!" chip a lot of fans have had on their shoulder, that I've run into since the end of last season.

After suffering through JA Happ starts for over two years, it’s nice to finally watch him pitch for the other team.

it'd be great if this "retired" hedge fund senior account manager could produce actual evidence to back any of that up.

Last edited:
ok, well i have a longstanding policy not to believe anything on twitter that some guy i've never heard of just asserts without evidence. for all i know he's just talking out of his ass to boost his follower count.

he's making some pretty serious accusations here. i mean "chase utley was the biggest cheater of all time" - calling out a player directly by name like that, and then providing no context or specific instances or any follow up at all? some guys hit better at home than on the road, ergo they're cheating? okay then. if he's as well-connected as you say, he should have no problem accessing all the game footage he needs to back up at least some of what he's saying. put up or shut up.

Last edited:
lmao yeah that suggests he's the biggest cheater of all-time, for sure.

here, you dropped this:

gln6bwoamx121.jpg

Last edited:
I'm basing it more on the reports from a highly respected baseball analyst (who is also a Phillies fan, for whatever it's worth).

I don't think less of Utley because he may have cheated. I think less of him because of his taking out a fellow second baseman's legs in a highly dirty way (more than once). That's not "playing hard." That's being an asshole. The cheating? Everyone does it. Who cares.

I have no issue believing that every team in baseball, including the one I root for, cheats or has cheated on some level. I've made that point fairly clear since the steroid years. It's why I shrug off the Astros, and shrugged off the Pats in football.

Professional athletes cheat. They push the limits to find an edge. It's in every sport. The only thing that's absurd is the faux outrage when one team or one player gets caught, as if it's not endemic.

Which was the entire point or Spaeder exposing things he's learned - to counter the current faux outrage over spider tack and other dumb things.

Last edited:
i'm a pro cycling fan. i learned long ago that nearly every single one of the athletes i like is pushing the limits all the time of what they can get away with. i know all the teams i root for in every sport do it, and i don't really care as long as it isn't egregious.

and you won't get any argument from me that chase utley is an asshole.

i just want something more than one home/away split or "trust me" when a professional journalist is naming names and publicly throwing around strong accusations, some at currently active players, that have the potential to harm someone's reputation and/or career.

the adrian beltre one at least should be shit-simple to prove - he played 94 games that year so you'd just have to watch the footage of a couple random home games and see if there's a guy waving a shirt around in dead center every time beltre sees a breaking pitch. i'm sure jomboy is already working on it.

Last edited:
It's baseball. Cheating is part of baseball. I'm fine with it as long as it's stuff that's easily manipulated by everyone. I have a problem with steroids and always will. Everything else is just part of the game. Once it gets banned? Then I'm going to expect people not to do it, or toe that line, otherwise, fair play :shrug:.

i'm a pro cycling fan. i learned long ago that nearly every single one of the athletes i like is pushing the limits all the time of what they can get away with. i know all the teams i root for in every sport do it, and i don't really care as long as it isn't egregious.

and you won't get any argument from me that chase utley is an asshole.

i just want something more than one home/away split or "trust me" when a professional journalist is naming names and publicly throwing around strong accusations, some at currently active players, that have the potential to harm someone's reputation and/or career.

the adrian beltre one at least should be shit-simple to prove - he played 94 games that year so you'd just have to watch the footage of a couple random home games and see if there's a guy waving a shirt around in dead center every time beltre sees a breaking pitch. i'm sure jomboy is already working on it.
Love you [emoji8]

At least @OldTakesExposed has some new material to play with.

That's the difference between an analyst and a journalist. When I was still in journalism, I'd hear shit all the time. Hell, I still do, just from all the contacts I still have in that world. But it's a whole lot of gossip and venting, and you need to follow up on anything you hear and get some more answers. The social media age has blurred the lines to make it seem like connectedness and journalism are the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom