Mlb 2019

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question for you rule nerds:

Today Tyler Chatwood pitched 6 scoreless innings (with just 2 hits). Three relievers combined to pitch the 7th and 8th, no runs given up, and then Pedro Strop comes in the top of the 9th, Cubs up 1-0 (they scored their single run in the 6th). Strop gives up a home run, tying the game at 1-1, then pitches out of the inning.

Luckily for the Cubs, they got a game-winning single in the bottom of the 9th. But Strop is awarded the win. Now I know I've seen similar situations before, but can someone defend this type of rule? Strop put them in a position that lessened their chances of winning. Chatwood pitched long enough to get credit for a quality start and didn't give up anything. He should be given the win, IMO.

I thought I understood the rules better than this, but apparently not. Change my mind.

I have a question for you rule nerds:

Today Tyler Chatwood pitched 6 scoreless innings (with just 2 hits). Three relievers combined to pitch the 7th and 8th, no runs given up, and then Pedro Strop comes in the top of the 9th, Cubs up 1-0 (they scored their single run in the 6th). Strop gives up a home run, tying the game at 1-1, then pitches out of the inning.

Luckily for the Cubs, they got a game-winning single in the bottom of the 9th. But Strop is awarded the win. Now I know I've seen similar situations before, but can someone defend this type of rule? Strop put them in a position that lessened their chances of winning. Chatwood pitched long enough to get credit for a quality start and didn't give up anything. He should be given the win, IMO.

I thought I understood the rules better than this, but apparently not. Change my mind.
It's why people have deemphasized wins. The pitcher of record is the pitcher who is on the mound when the winning team takes the lead (or vice versa).

On the flip side, a team could jump out to a 10-0 lead, then see their Pitcher A give up 10 runs to blow that lead, and then have Pitcher B throw several great innings and lose the game on a field error, and Pitcher B would get the loss.

Cubs impressively clobbered a good Mariners team and one of the league’s hottest pitchers. They did it with both the longball and manufactured runs, and won 11-0.

I’m starting to feel more confident in this team.

Congrats to the Cubs, who beat a team that has been absolute garbage (5-13 over the last 18!) for 3 weeks.

Well their pitcher would have been the first 6-game winner, so...

Yeah, a crafty lefty with unimpressive stuff that has gotten lucky results based on batted ball profile, and HR/FB. And got 4 of his 5 wins when they were putting up over 7 runs per game, which is on the offense and not Marco Gonzales. He’s only had one win since April 9th.

Last edited:
Ok, the Mariners aren’t that great.

How about the Cardinals who are tied for the best record in the NL? Cubs just shut them out 4-0.

Last edited:
Yeah, a crafty lefty with unimpressive stuff that has gotten lucky results based on batted ball profile, and HR/FB. And got 4 of his 5 wins when they were putting up over 7 runs per game, which is on the offense and not Marco Gonzales. He’s only had one win since April 9th.
Wtf they're your team...

Cardinals give up a second grand slam to the Cubs in two days. Unreal. Cubs were already winning 7-2 and just added 6 more runs in the 8th.

That's a hell of a way to leap into first place for the first time this season.

Oh yeah, Sox getting their asses whooped again too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom