MLB 2016 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Question is now, did Francona screw up with his rotation?

The Indians could have won game 4 with a combination of Salazar for 3 innings and the bullpen with the way they hit Lackey and the Cubs pen Saturday, then they'd have had Kluber on regular rest last night against Moe Lester, might have ended the series.

Now they will be dogs again in game 6 to Arrieta, and then it all comes down to Kluber on 3 days rest for the 2nd successive start Wednesday.

Should be fun to watch it play out.

The only thing I've questioned is the risk of using Kluber thrice.
Otherwise, agreed. He's been basically a masterclass. And if it goes 7, we'll see then if the decision was the right one. If it doesn't, we'll then clearly that was the right move.

I find it very hard to criticize anything Francona has done with the pitching.
I am not criticizing, just first guessing, cause if this goes to 7 (and I think it will based on the pitching matchup tomorrow) and Kluber is worn down, then his plan backfires.
To this point, he's managed brilliantly. Underdogs in all 3 series, without his #2 and #3 starters and his best position player.
Yet of course Wine Glass Joe is heralded as the best manager in baseball because he had the Cubs wear Halloween costumes on the flight to Cleveland.

JoeMaddonTable.jpg

I am not criticizing, just first guessing, cause if this goes to 7 (and I think it will based on the pitching matchup tomorrow) and Kluber is worn down, then his plan backfires.
To this point, he's managed brilliantly. Underdogs in all 3 series, without his #2 and #3 starters and his best position player.
Yet of course Wine Glass Joe is heralded as the best manager in baseball because he had the Cubs wear Halloween costumes on the flight to Cleveland.

JoeMaddonTable.jpg

Meh. If you start Merritt/Salazar for 4 and Kluber for 5, you most likely end up at the same place right now as you would have with Kluber and Bauer on short rest for 4-5. Hard to know ahead of time that the bats would erupt in game 4.

Then Bauer on full rest for 6 and Tomlin + the kitchen sink for 7, versus Tomlin on short rest for 6 and Kluber on short rest for 7.

Neither option seems obviously better than the other to me.

Either way, it certainly helps that Miller pitched 0 innings and Chapman 2.2 last night (even considering the day off).

Will be interesting to see how Kluber fares in game 7. He was very good tonight, but a 2nd straight start on 3 days rest is another matter.

Indians had to have this game, cause the next 2 pitching matchups heavily favor the Cubs.

Wednesday night is gonna be something to see.

:sexywink:

The whole thing basically comes down to can Kluber be effective on 3 days rest for a 2nd consecutive start.
Get your popcorn ready.

Think it has to be Miller in the 4th, with 3-4-5 coming up.

That was maybe the worst management decision ever... He waits one more, and if Hendricks ends the inning you get a fresh Lester, like he wanted, and one more ab from contreras.

But, I'll obviously take the HR.

I had to be caught up on that one. That was the second year I started watching baseball religiously.

Back
Top Bottom