MLB 2016 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been busy. This must be an exciting time for you to be living in Chicago, with such cause for celebration. I hope you had fun at the parade with millions of your fellow die-hards.

Re: the World Series, I was in Paris for most of it, and couldn't find a free stream online. Settled for just watching the play-by-play updates through ESPN's Game Cast until Game 7, when I finally stumbled upon the ESPN radio broadcast, and was at least able to hear the live audio. I was lying in the dark on a hostel bunk wearing earphones when the game finally ended after 5am Paris time. Tears were shed. I thought about my grandfather, who took me to games and got me a ball signed by the '77 Cubs. Thought of my dad, who got me Ernie Banks's autograph, and his old baseball glove emblazoned with the signature of Hank Sauer, who played for the Cubs in the early 50s (NL MVP in '52). Neither of them are still alive, but I still have the souvenirs.

That's amazing.

Shoulda reached out. I could've hooked you up with my At Bat account. But I'm glad you were able to listen to game 7.

Re: the World Series, I was in Paris for most of it, and couldn't find a free stream online. Settled for just watching the play-by-play updates through ESPN's Game Cast until Game 7, when I finally stumbled upon the ESPN radio broadcast, and was at least able to hear the live audio. I was lying in the dark on a hostel bunk wearing earphones when the game finally ended after 5am Paris time. Tears were shed. I thought about my grandfather, who took me to games and got me a ball signed by the '77 Cubs. Thought of my dad, who got me Ernie Banks's autograph, and his old baseball glove emblazoned with the signature of Hank Sauer, who played for the Cubs in the early 50s (NL MVP in '52). Neither of them are still alive, but I still have the souvenirs.

I can relate to the emotion, my Grandfather was a big Sox fan, and had experienced the Red Sox winning the WS as a youngster, but passed at 93 a few years before the 2004 win. My father was never really a big fan, but did take me to games when I was a kid, became significantly more interested in them in 2003/2004 after he retired in early 2003.
He passed away the day after they won the Series in 2004. Nurses said he was aware of the win the previous night. Those couple of days were quite the emotional rollercoaster for me.

I can relate to the emotion, my Grandfather was a big Sox fan, and had experienced the Red Sox winning the WS as a youngster, but passed at 93 a few years before the 2004 win. My father was never really a big fan, but did take me to games when I was a kid, became significantly more interested in them in 2003/2004 after he retired in early 2003.
He passed away the day after they won the Series in 2004. Nurses said he was aware of the win the previous night. Those couple of days were quite the emotional rollercoaster for me.

Wow, thanks for sharing that, Hewson.

When the Cubs won the Series, I instantly thought about the generations of their long suffering fans.

That's a great story, Hewson.

I had a lot of bitter sweet feelings about the series, as I think I said in here before.

Thrilled they won, sad for my friends and family no longer here who followed the team far longer than I did and passed before seeing it. Almost feel like I didn't 'earn" it. I know how dumb that sounds.

I had a lot of bitter sweet feelings about the series, as I think I said in here before.

Thrilled they won, sad for my friends and family no longer here who followed the team far longer than I did and passed before seeing it. Almost feel like I didn't 'earn" it. I know how dumb that sounds.

It doesn't sound dumb, but I think that whole "earn" stuff is boloney. You were fortunate to be alive when they won. Soak it in and savor the time that the Cubs are World Series Champions. I guess you can earn it by making sure you raise Cubs fans for life.

How long have you been following the Cubs?

If you wanna talk about "not earning it," my first year as a baseball fan in 2003 as an 11 year old kid... that's not earning it. Yet, I think personally for me, my naivety of it all was what added to it. I'd never seen a World Series before. That was my very first experience, and those particular two series and that team as a whole... just thrilling.

I can still name the whole starting lineup and pitching rotation off the top of my head.

I've been following the Mariners as long as I can remember. I turned 5 the summer Griffey Jr. was a rookie. Not sure I'll see them win the pennant (much less a World Series title) in my lifetime. But if they ever do, I feel like I'll have earned it. Heh.

Haha. I don't feel THAT bad about it, but yea, strange feeling.

I was 6 when I started kinda following the team and 14 when I actively started really watching the team.

Its running commentary here about kids who are say teenagers or early 20's now who just expect winning, having seen 4 Super Bowl titles, 3 World Series titles, a Stanley Cup and an NBA Championship since 2001/2. Whereas I grew up only seeing the 80's Celtics win titles and faced decades of heartbreak with the Sox, and decades of mediocrity (at best sometimes) with the Pats, plus unwillingness to make that one final deal with the Bruins ownership that always had them about one step away from a Cup. (and a friggin' parade for Ray Bourque winning a cup with the Avs, how ridiculous).
But you can't fault people for their age, so what if there's people who haven't suffered through losing and heartache. As long as you're a loyal fan, it doesn't matter.

I wouldn't mind a shorter season, tbh, but I'm glad they reached a deal, couldn't handle no baseball.

Yay, new CBA. Owners getting richer, poor foreign players getting screwed. Capitalism!

Back
Top Bottom