MLB 2010-2011 Offseason Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I think it has to do with the fact that they don't overpay aging short-stops with questionable range and declining offense for multiple years. :)

Aww, "if' they get Cliff Lee, they'll look like fuckin' geniuses. :lol::lol::lol:

no, they won't. they'll look like a team that's overpaying for a 32 year old pitcher with a bad back.

meanwhile the red sox just locked up 2 guys who are still in their 20s who fit their ballpark perfectly, and managed to make a fugazi offer for cliff lee in the meantime just to throw the yankees off the trail, and force 'em up to 7 years.

not to mention the beltran rumors that started flying out 24 hours before they signed crawford out of the blue... also probably designed to throw teams off the scent.

and that doesn't even bring up all their terrific young home grown talent.

but hey, the yanks will be paying about 40 million for jeter and a-rod.

frankly the red sox front office shits on the yankees right now.

no, they won't. they'll look like a team that's overpaying for a 32 year old pitcher with a bad back.

meanwhile the red sox just locked up 2 guys who are still in their 20s who fit their ballpark perfectly, and managed to make a fugazi offer for cliff lee in the meantime just to throw the yankees off the trail, and force 'em up to 7 years.

not to mention the beltran rumors that started flying out 24 hours before they signed crawford out of the blue... also probably designed to throw teams off the scent.

and that doesn't even bring up all their terrific young home grown talent.

but hey, the yanks will be paying about 40 million for jeter and a-rod.

frankly the red sox front office shits on the yankees right now.

I agree. The Yanks are overpaying guys and trying to buy a championship. The BoSox have made some shrewd moves for sure. I was joking about the "fuckin' geniuses". Saying the Yanks are desperate right now is an understatement. They're trying to blow their load with Cliff Lee. Now we're just waiting for Lee to make a decision. I'm not certain what kind of back-up plan or plans the Yanks might have if Lee stays with Texas.

I agree. The Yanks are overpaying guys and trying to buy a championship. The BoSox have made some shrewd moves for sure. I was joking about the "fuckin' geniuses". Saying the Yanks are desperate right now is an understatement. They're trying to blow their load with Cliff Lee. Now we're just waiting for Lee to make a decision. I'm not certain what kind of back-up plan or plans the Yanks might have if Lee stays with Texas.

i would imagine the backup plan would involve giving away all of their prospects to try and get grienke, who will impload in new york city.

mind you the yankees also have an almost 40 year old catcher who can't catch anymore, who they're paying about 15 million dollars for.

Hopefully, Jorge will be the primary DH and no longer catch at all. I don't really like Cervelli either. Montero is supposed to finally get his shot. Plus, the Yanks are interested in Russell Martin. They probably won't straighten things out with their catchers until Opening Day. :huh:

Yeah, pretty much when they gave Jorge a new contract after the 2007 season. it was for "services rendered" because he's missed a lot of time since he signed that deal and hasn't done much . He's had his moments at the plate, but his catching has been for shit.

I find it funny how everybody thinks the Yankees will be doomed if Lee doesn't sign here. They made the ALCS with Javy Vasquez and Burnett having god-awful seasons, Pettitte having only half a season and Hughes having an average season despite his 18 wins. If Pettitte doesn't return, I am sure Cashman will find a middle of the rotation starter to sub for him. If he does, I am comfortable with the rotation as is. Burnett should have a better season, especially with a good pitching coach (a big addition to this year's team) and there is no way Nova will be worse than Vasquez. There is absolutely no need to despair.

The lineup is as deep as any other team out there. They are about to get young in the catching position with the Yankees' best hitting prospect since Derek Jeter. And the farm system is loaded with talent, especially with pitching.

I hate the fat contracts as much as anyone, but the Yankees can absorb them better than anyone while still getting young FA talent (it's been only two years since they got Teixeira and CC).

Agreed on Lee, but not on the rebuilding thing. They do need to get a young rotation together. Ironically, getting Lee is probably the best bet for that, since it would prevent them from trading Banuelos, Betances, Brackman and/or Nova. But I don't think they need to "rebuild" their lineup. Apart from A-Rod and Jeter, the position players are all in their prime.

gump said:
Agreed on Lee, but not on the rebuilding thing. They do need to get a young rotation together. Ironically, getting Lee is probably the best bet for that, since it would prevent them from trading Banuelos, Betances, Brackman and/or Nova. But I don't think they need to "rebuild" their lineup. Apart from A-Rod and Jeter, the position players are all in their prime.

Posada? They have tex and cano. Their outfield is bad. Their left side of the infield is an injury waiting to happen. They have a thin starting 5, a catcher who can't catch. Two of their starting 8 position players should be DH's.

They might have enough to squeek out a wild card, but they can't compete with boston. And boston is much, much younger.

Lee would be wise to return to Texas.

5c91a369-1c64-4fdc-aca7-735b0a49c6ed.jpg

I meant a middle of the rotation starter that can actually start some games.

He's waiting until they find Jim Gray, but no one can locate him. It appears he may have moved off the grid with the money he got doing The Decision.

The idea that they're giving one player this much of an ego. He's never going to be worth it.

It is clear that his agent is trying to squeeze every single dime of whomever signs him.

Peefer can stop being butthurt about Clifford not being a Phillie. Now he'll be there for a long, long time.

I just spent the last half hour explaining to my roommate how the Phillies will not sign Cliff Lee and every reason it won't happen.

I pity the Mets.

It is really strange how this guy did everything in his power to reach FA only to leave 50 million on the table. Go figure.

It is really strange how this guy did everything in his power to reach FA only to leave 50 million on the table. Go figure.

Good for him, as far as that goes. Nice to see he went to where he really wanted to go. Not everyone is susceptible to the Yankees' "hey, let's try to pay out the ass for all the best players in their thirties!" thing.

Thanks for the memories, Clifford.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

Didn't see that coming.

That's one of the better veteran rotations that we've seen in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom